That time of year.

I have just booked my flight for my summer hols out of Japan.

Seems KLM are cheapest to the UK this time, came in at about 125,000 yen all included. I might pay the bit extra to go "Comfort" when that becomes available.

Thats Narita > Amsterdam > Heathrow.

Anyone else got anything booked? Always interested to see what things cost to different places.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know when the Olympics are. I can't say I'm that interested either, to be honest.   The price normally goes up a lot sometime during July on some airlines but that's more to do with summer h

Thanks rach. I was wondering whether there was some feminine persuasion going on.

Prices may go up, but life still goes on. Carpe diem and all that.

I'm going to book soon and I'm pretty flexible around that time, I'll send you a mail pie-eater.

Might end up on the same flight!

Presume you are doing the Amsterdam > Manchester route?

Wife was looking today....Tokyo to Vancouver. 310,000 yen for the three of us. BUT... that is flying Eva air so we have to go via Taipei....

Last year we flew China Eastern Air which went Nagoya--Shanghai----Vancouver and I vowed I would never do that again. I wonder if going via Taipei is any different.

I'll demand the Hello Kitty jet if we go...

I once did Tokyo to London via Malaysia.

It took forever.

We flew down to Malaysia, had to wait there 6+ hours, just to get a flight that almost went back over Japan again on it's way over to the UK.

While the cheap price looked good on paper, the reality was a very long and frustrating journey.

Definitely not doing that again.

The cheap one for a while from the UK was on Emirates via Dubai into Chubu or Kansai. The closer you get the Equator, the longer the route, plus it was a bad connection. My folks did it once and said it was a nightmare.

I dunno if they still do, but the flights on Korean Air used to be routed away from Chinese and North Korean air space. You'd fly to Seoul, change planes, and then fly back to Japan. Three hours after getting on in Tokyo, the "dot" would be approaching Hokkaido.

Next time we go in summer, I might go Air Asia to KL or another LCC to Bangkok just to get out of Japan and take a separate UK bound flight from there. I'll need four or five tickets, so even 20,000 yen cheaper per head adds up.

Looking at going back with ANA around mid-july sometime, and for 2 adults and a wee one, we have been quoted 270,000yen. Not bad but a bit of a shock still.

Oh, and that is direct. None of this transit to Heathrow malakey.

270000 yen for both of you or each?

Direct to where, Man?

--

On the subject of charges for long haul, do they typically increase as the dates get nearer or the other way round?

270000 yen for both of you or each?

Direct to where, Man?

--

On the subject of charges for long haul, do they typically increase as the dates get nearer or the other way round?

I am a Londoner, and that price was for 2 adults and a wee boy igloo. ;)

Igloo, barring any unforeseen sales I believe the general rule is the further out you book it the cheaper you can get it. They release a certain number of seats in each discount bracket, the first to go are the cheapest seats (although some others go as well due to traveling conditions...for example if you needed to have a fully flexible fare). The closer to lift off the less seats available...the higher the prices.

Reverse tends to work for accomodation.

We have quite a few family flights coming up, short notice bookings too...grump, groan.

PB is having trouble with one... His travel companions are flying out of Perth to Sing, then on to Moscow. He is coming from a Rugby tournament in Phuket to meet them in Sing, but the airline does not want to book him Phuket-Singapore-Moscow. Stuffed if I know why. Shouldn't it be easier than this to book the best route for your convenience, rather than sticking to the silly backtracking ones (like flying back t Hokkaido!)

Yeah the connecting flight to Manchester narrows down the options, but they always say that the connecting shuttle is effectively "free" and the price to London is the same as to Manchester.

270,000 yen sounds like a good deal to me.

a quick look on BA would make it 148k approx for a late July departure from Haneda to Edinburgh, which is much closer for me than Narita, but returning into Narita.....I reckon I'd prefer to land at Haneda as I'd be more tired after the long flight and appreciate the shorter commute time from the airport