With fine weather this morning the plan was to go to Kagura.

That didn't quite work out though as too many people also decided to go there, and as we approached the car park there were guys out with signs telling us that the car park was totally full and we needed to move on to the Tashiro car park 7km further along if we wanted to do Kagura today. I can't quite remember ever seeing the Mitsumata car park totally full, so I am sure it was quite busy up there today.

We decided to go to Naeba instead and that was probably a good choice because looking at Tashiro even that car park was very busy and using the overflow area.

So Naeba it was. They have one base quad, the No2 gondola and the pair lift from the gondola up near the top moving. It was enough for us we just wanted a few hours out and it wasn't crazy busy either. Lovely blue skies.

The snow was pretty decent earlier on, a bit heavy lower down and later on. I've certainly experienced much worse even mid-season and it didn't feel like April, but at the same time can't boast of "epic powder" either.

We had a lot of fun though.

A few pics.

gallery_6744_176_61350.jpg

gallery_6744_176_384192.jpg

gallery_6744_176_98178.jpg

gallery_6744_176_238142.jpg

This bit not open any more

gallery_6744_176_175456.jpg

gallery_6744_176_35663.jpg

gallery_6744_176_131228.jpg

Still tons of snow

gallery_6744_176_47906.jpg

Yayyy!

gallery_6744_176_225718.jpg

Yes it was a fine day.

Actually this was my old camera, with my 105mm Macro ('micro') lens which caused a few problems. :lol:

I don't think I'll be taking the new camera out skiing this season. Still studying. Will let you know when I have a nice D800 sample to share. :friend:

I think in this area, only Muikamachi Hakkaisan really closed early, though it never goes on into April.

I think most other places pretty much had a normal kind of season.

Naeba does seem to have been cutting it's season shorter in the last however many years though, but Kagura does always keep open as long as it possibly can.

Perhaps the Naeba close has a lot to do with the operations of the hotel < wild guess maybe completely wrong.

Was just looking that up. Yes it seems so, the hotel closed Sunday

『苗場プリンスホテル』は2012年4月8日(日)の営業をもちまして、

2011-2012冬期シーズンの営業を終了させていただきました。

シーズン中は多くのお客さまにご利用いただき、誠にありがとうございました。

Thanks Mick.

Got to admit my mind is more on learning my new camera than skiing right now though. Perhaps another few times though, I told myself at the beginning of the the season that I'd make more of spring so perhaps I should.