In Japan some jobs are advertised as "up to 35" or "up to 40". In some countries that kind of ad is going to be illegal, but that won't stop employers looking at applicants' ages and making judgements on them.

Work and ever-receding retirement aside, it's a great time to be middle-aged. You can really live it up!

Probably much worse for the ladies. Especially if they're still single and their life isn't quite Sex and the City.

Many Japanese girls start saying "mou obasan" about themselves when they are mid twenties, so maybe they are not so bothered.

Many Japanese girls start saying "mou obasan" about themselves when they are mid twenties, so maybe they are not so bothered.

Methinks that is just to get the compliments and re-assureances back!

そうじゃないよ!わかいいいい!

Some 'analysts' reckon Apple might rise to $1000.

Imagine having a chunk when they were down before the current mad-Apple love.

Back to middle-aged, I suppose I am. I'll try not to dwell on it though.

With pension ages rising, does that mean we need to get much older now to become a pensioner?

Good question! Can you be a pensioner without a pension?

We'll have to start using another word for old people. Something like "codgers" (!)

in australia, the government have been increasing 'pension ages', so depending on current age determines when you can access your superannuation or pension. There is a concern that people won't have enough money to retire on, and the working population won't be able to support a larger number of pensioners.

For me, its 65 before I can access my retirement funds

That first time you are called middle-aged must still be a shocker though.

I'm not quite there yet.

Nothing shocking about it unless things like that concern you I guess. It's not like anything really changes except maybe hangovers get worse! :lol:

Hangovers worse yes.

One thing I find annoying as the years go by is not being able to stay genki as late as I used to.

Used to be able to party through the night (oh yes), but now I'm ready for my kip at 11.

:lol:

I just can't believe how little I can drink anymore. When I was 15 it was nothing to head out to a party and drink 12-15 cans of beer and still be able to walk home. Now at 41 I have 3 and I start to feel really drunk! At least I'm a cheap date now ;)

• 1 month later...

A group of chaps, all aged 40, discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the waitresses there were gorgeous, with tight skirts and big boobs.

Ten years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at theOcean View restaurant because the food and service was good and the wine

selection was excellent.

Ten years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they could dine in peace and quiet and the restaurant had a beautiful view of the ocean.

Ten years later, at age 70, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had an elevator.

Ten years later, at age 80, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch.

Finally it was agreed that they would meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they had never been there before