"We hope you have a very enjoyable flight" etc

Who in their right mind is going to have a 'very enjoyable' 11 hour flight?

Especially when you're squashed into a crappy economy seat.

Even when I went business class, I wanted to get off the thing asap.

They really should be more honest.  "We know 11 hours in a scarily dirty plane sucks big time, but you're just gonna have to deal with it matey."

"Economy Comfort"

On KLM. That makes me laugh.

It's like Economy plus possibly an extra 5mm or something.

And "Economy Comfort" as opposed to what, "Economy Uncomfort"?

"Made specially for you"

That's what it said on all the meals and 'food' they passed out.

Well, I doth protest!.

If it were really made specially for me, I would be presented with a lovely great big steak pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy.  Or perhaps a deep pan pizza with lots of toppings.

But I most certainly was not!

They should know that I really do not like soggy smelly trout salad and some kind of fish pasta.

Flight videos

Don't you just love those vids they show you at the beginning on how to relax and 'keep fit' during the flight.

Glorious beaches, big open spaces, splashing waves, people relaxing on a hammock, smiling faces, lovely happy music.

Cheesy as heck.  You sit there watching it knowing you are in for an almost unbearably long 11 hours stuck in your Economy Uncomfort, Economy Comfort or Business seat.

:lol:

Knackered now.  Need sleep.

Tower: "TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet.. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."

United 329: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this...I've got the little Fokker in sight."

You know what I dislike -- the smell of the meals being prepared. Really unpleasant.

What no new decent in-flight meal technology advances to make them more appealing?

On BA or KLM, the "Asian vegetarian" meal is quite good. You get a curry or mee goreng noodles. Like all special meals, you also get it before everyone else.

In general though, price competition driven by the low cost carriers and the security checks have wrung the last bit of glamour out of flying so it's now like getting on a bus.

The biggest problem though is the airlines charging Japan based people basically double the regular campaign prices they offer overseas. Even LCCs like Jetstar do it so $299 from Oz is 75,000 yen from Japan. For a family of four, it scams you out of 200,000 yen plus for a trip to see grandda.

The security stuff gets on my wick.

Can someone tell me why I need to get my computer out of it's bag? And take off my belt?

There's times when you stick all your stuff in containers and you go through the machine and your stuff is well out of sight.

Are there not cases of people nicking stuff in that situation? I'm always trying to keep an eye on my stuff when that happens but it's not always easy.

The security stuff gets on my wick.

Can someone tell me why I need to get my computer out of it's bag? And take off my belt?

There's times when you stick all your stuff in containers and you go through the machine and your stuff is well out of sight.

Are there not cases of people nicking stuff in that situation? I'm always trying to keep an eye on my stuff when that happens but it's not always easy.

Usually traveling with 4 or 6 of us there is normally one out the other side watching for our stuff, so less of a concern in a group.

Somewhere, can't recall where...gave us a claim tag with a number and the matching one was out on our tray...they obviously have had some kind of dispute.

Laptops need to come out everywhere.

IPads RARELY...I often wonder why... I know some crooks import those ATM skimming devices inside laptops, but if you were going to use your laptop to smuggle something, would you not put it in your checked luggage where it is less likely to be detected?

My pet peeve...removing shoes.

So hate that!!! Especially at the end of 3 or 4 week trip, when you have been traveling with one pair of village snow boots, are on your 2nd or 3rd flight and no matter how clean and deodorized you start out the boots are a bit funky smelling. And no matter how bad you think yours are...the guy in front of you is way worse!! Come on dudes, surely there is no need for shoe removal, and if so...any chance of the 3D scanner so you can scan them while still on.

The biggest problem though is the airlines charging Japan based people basically double the regular campaign prices they offer overseas. Even LCCs like Jetstar do it so $299 from Oz is 75,000 yen from Japan. For a family of four, it scams you out of 200,000 yen plus for a trip to see grandda.

Is there a way round that? Like buying the tickets overseas?

I want to know that too, though I'm sure if there was we would have heard about it.

What annoys me is when airport staff man-handle my computer. It makes me mad.

"Economy Comfort"

On KLM. That makes me laugh.

It's like Economy plus possibly an extra 5mm or something.

And "Economy Comfort" as opposed to what, "Economy Uncomfort"?

:lol:

An unfortunate name, for sure.

Always go for the vegetarian meal - you may crave meat, you may be the biggest carnivore known to man; however, the safest bet, is always vegetarian meals.