Yesterday i decided to use up the ticket I won for Minamiuonuma by going to Ishiuchi Maruyama. The weather report said it was going to be warm and sunny so I expected spring.slushy conditions as this resort is very low. From the minute the sun came up, there wasn't a cloud to be seen in the sky. The weather was glorious!! I had been praying to the road gods that the dreaded devil road that is the Kan-Etsu expressway would play nice today after so many delayed attempts at getting to and from the mountains.....thankfully my child sacrifice seemed to have worked and we got there without a hitch through fast flowing traffic. Changing in the car parkm discarding most of the usual inner clothes I wear while boarding as it was so hot.

med_gallery_6323_170_24045.jpg

med_gallery_6323_170_10816.jpg

my mate Paul camping it up.....

med_gallery_6323_170_47885.jpg

afternoon beer's, Alpine style

gallery_6323_170_27552.jpg

gallery_6323_170_7012.jpg

looking over towards Gala Yuzawa

gallery_6323_170_56456.jpg

The snow was as expected, soft and slushy, even higher up. As the day wore on the upper mountain was starting to develop ice bombs and the bottom was more wet cement than slush puppy but I had a great time. A beautiful day, lots of snow, playing on the kickers and generally being out enjoying the world. I also got to try out my new board for the first time, a Salomon Powder Snake......yes, there was no powder to be had but damn what a fine board it is. Very flexy, playful and easy to throw around. Carves like a dream and for such a soft board, dampens the chatter really well whilst charging thru crud.

The only downside was getting a monumental case of sunburn across my lower face.........Mrs Tubby Beaver to be was not a happy beaver when she saw my Oompa-Loompa like, 2-tone Ford Capri 1983-esque face........."what about the wedding photos??!!" Yeah, thanks for the sympathy!! :D

not busy, but not totally dead. There were a few peeps around, we never had the slope to ourselves at any point but you didn't really have to dodge round people, there was plenty space

onehunga....I now resemble this.........

banba.jpg

not busy, but not totally dead. There were a few peeps around, we never had the slope to ourselves at any point but you didn't really have to dodge round people, there was plenty space

banba.jpg

That really was never a good idea, hey.

banba.jpg

Best you start practising your photoshop skills.