Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been busy boarding, onsening and drinking...

- I found this 'promotion' to be ridiculous for two reasons. The first was the biggest snow in 60 years claim. The second, and more obvious reason, was the use of a picture from an entirely different part of the country to promote a completely unrelated ski area. None of the people who see that photo and show up in Niseko are going to be able to find that place. It's a lie.

- I would agree with Ippy that if it were a 'come to Japan' promotion,than it wouldn't be that bad. But it wasn't. It was done in a 'This is what you are missing in Niseko (Hokkaido... or as the OP wrote Hakaido) this season' sort of way. (I guess if we follow that line of reasoning to its conclusion resorts in Scotland can go ahead and use photos of Chamonix to promote their resorts under the banner of 'European ski promotion').

On a final note, what do you think the people showing up in Niseko, expecting to see that kind of scene, will think when they find out that they not only have to wait until the middle of April for that route to open but also have to get on a plane, train and then bus to get there?

By the way, today in Myoko was the best day of spring skiing you'll find anywhere in the known universe in the last ten million years! In way under 24 hours over 10-15 centimeters of snow, that is three times lighter, fluffier and drier than anything scientists have even imagined, fell on what is without doubt the best ski resort anywhere, ever... Myoko Kogen. (All jokes aside, it was actually really awesome today! I'll post some pics and vids later!)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ippy.....are you Jynxx in disguise?  

I felt I'd put on a bit of weight recently....too much down time playing on the computer, so I decided to give this revolutionary new workout a go.........

Fat-Slob.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1257438904107

its easy and simple, just stand on your tip toes twice a day while yawning, and the weight just dropped off.....this is after 3 days....

muscle-man.jpg

:doh: I've been doing it backwards!

I felt I'd put on a bit of weight recently....too much down time playing on the computer, so I decided to give this revolutionary new workout a go.........

Fat-Slob.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1257438904107

its easy and simple, just stand on your tip toes twice a day while yawning, and the weight just dropped off.....this is after 3 days....

muscle-man.jpg

:doh: I've been doing it backwards!

:rollabout:

By the way, today in Myoko was the best day of spring skiing you'll find anywhere in the known universe in the last ten million years! In way under 24 hours over 10-15 centimeters of snow, that is three times lighter, fluffier and drier than anything scientists have even imagined, fell on what is without doubt the best ski resort anywhere, ever... Myoko Kogen. (All jokes aside, it was actually really awesome today! I'll post some pics and vids later!)

That sounds amazing Black! :thumbsup:

Did one of the companies in town use that photo!? Anyone fancy messaging me and letting me know who? I saw a lot of people share it on Facebook, and thought that it wasn't around here. I saw a very similar photo claimed as St Anton earlier in the season as well.

As for how March has been, no, I don't think it's been as good as previous years, but most people I have been teaching have been pretty happy, admittedly though only a few of them would really have been able to appreciate deep snow if it had been here. There were a few dire days the other week though, grey and icey with piles of sugary snow all over the place, as bad as I have ever seen it here.

As for how March has been, no, I don't think it's been as good as previous years, but most people I have been teaching have been pretty happy, admittedly though only a few of them would really have been able to appreciate deep snow if it had been here. There were a few dire days the other week though, grey and icey with piles of sugary snow all over the place, as bad as I have ever seen it here.

It may not have been at Niseko - although I'm sure there was up high - but it most definitely was nearby

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21085-sr-hokkaido-2011-12/page__st__140

MikePow, why can you keep on apparently not being able to accept that other people may have been disappointed?

You obviously have not been disappointed with all your many stories of magnificently epic conditions.. And they do indeed look fab.

But the reality is that more than a few normal (for want of a better word) holiday-goers have.

Just live with it, it's not a personal afront. You simply dismissing that other real-world opinion does you no favors in believability.

MikePow, why can you keep on apparently not being able to accept that other people may have been disappointed?

You obviously have not been disappointed with all your many stories of magnificently epic conditions.. Ad they do indeed look fab.

But the reality is that more than a few normal (for want of a better word) holiday-goers have.

Just live with it, it's not a personal affront. You simply dismissing that other real-world opinion does you no favors in believability.

I totally accept that holiday-goers may have been disappointed with the skiing and snow during their visit in March.

But I honestly feel that this is more a function of their very high and unrealistic expectations not being met and not the fact that there weren't days with excellent skiing and excellent snow conditions.

One of the functions of posting words, pics and vids on here this winter is to show how the conditions were on the days I skied.

Another is to show that there is a skiing world beyond Niseko United.

I would suggest that holiday goers leave the Niseko Resort Area disappointed because they're sold the dream from holiday providers that every day in the Niseko Resort Area is a powder day. And when it isn't their expectations haven't been met.

And more tellingly because most of the holiday providers are more focussed on the bottom line than on customer service & satisfaction that when there are better conditions outside Niseko United both on and off piste for all ability levels they don't take or tell their customers because they don't make as much money. Now and in the future.

The smarter holiday providers have recognised that the best holiday experience is using Hirafu as the bed base and then skiing the resorts with the best conditions in the Shiribeshi region of Hokkaido.

This doesn't undermine Niseko's standing. It augments and complements it in my opinion.

I think it's a shame that first time and return customers to Hokkaido haven't experienced skiing beyond Niseko United.

And if providing information and a different take on things makes my posts less believable then so be it.

I've not taken other posters views personally, I've just attempted to provide a different view.

Apparently, I must have missed all of your posts explaining when things were less than totally epic.

I'll perhaps have to go back over them to find those, can't quite remember seeing any.

;)

As for people venturing beyond Niseko, well yes I agree and a fair few do that now - including a few of the people I mentioned who came back disappinted. Sorry... but it is true!

Anyway. Let's skiing. :cheers:

Apparently, I must have missed all of your posts explaining when things were less than totally epic.

I'll perhaps have to go back over them to find those, can't quite remember seeing any.

;)

They'll be the ones that go something like this:

"A grey, miserable day in the Niseko Resort Area so I took the chance to take a day off from skiing."

or

"The lifts were on wind hold in the Niseko Resort Area so we went to Kiroro instead"

As for people venturing beyond Niseko, well yes I agree and a fair few do that now - including a few of the people I mentioned who came back disappinted. Sorry... but it is true!

Oh I know, I've seen plenty of them skiing & boarding at Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kiroro with faces like slapped arses because many of them have no real idea of where to ski / board for the best conditions on the day and more importantly the terrain suited to their ability and the twin tip, heavily, rockered, fat and long ski they've been told to rent or buy.

Anyway. Let's skiing. :cheers:

I'm out there most days, although most days there is not Niseko United :)

Any day on the mountain is a good day as far as I'm concerned. If you're not enjoying it then go find another sport. One that does not rely on the weather. Maybe darts.

"A grey, miserable day in the Niseko Resort Area so I took the chance to take a day off from skiing."

or

"The lifts were on wind hold in the Niseko Resort Area so we went to Kiroro instead"

Yeah, and there's just so many of them in your reports!

(And general Niseko comments)

'The lifts were on hold' is pretty shocking stuff, I must say.

:lol:

Oh I know, I've seen plenty of them skiing & boarding at Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kiroro with faces like slapped arses because many of them have no real idea of where to ski / board for the best conditions on the day and more importantly the terrain suited to their ability and the twin tip, heavily, rockered, fat and long ski they've been told to rent or buy.

They are just so frikkin dumb aren't they*, those tourists. ( *Time for a GoNative interlude I suspect! ;) )

Silly people coming here on a holiday and not getting it pitch perfect every time.

It's their fault, not the fact that the conditions were less than 'epic' when they came.

We didn't have "epic" conditions while we were in Rusutsu in January, but I still had a really great time while I was there. There is always a chance no matter what ski resort you go to, at any time of the year, that conditions won't live up to your expectations, or the hype that has bumped up your expectations. I say make the most of the hand you get dealt. It is disappointing to see people being deliberately misled though.

or

Yeah, and there's just so many of them in your reports!

(And general Niseko comments)

'The lifts were on hold' is pretty shocking stuff, I must say.

I can't comment more than that because I didn't experience it.

I think the believability issue you commented on earlier would really be an issue if I didn't experience it first hand but still commented on it favourably or otherwise.

And fortunately I haven't had many occasions since my first ski day on 28 December 2011 to not ski. The winter has been that good in the Shiribeshi area. Or I'm just very lucky.

They are just so frikkin dumb aren't they?

Silly people coming here on a holiday and not getting it pitch perfect every time.

It's their fault, not the fact that the conditions were less than 'epic' when they came.

Actually it's no one's fault.

Even this area with such a consistent record has bad days.

But I think that the holiday providers can do a much better job providing realistic expectations to a prospective customer and alternatives when conditions are less than favourable.

I'm an educator by profession and I've tried to share my knowledge to help visitors to this area have the best possible holiday they can.

Well, don't come to Minamiuonuma for anything other than full on spring conditions now*. Fun if you don't expect more.

*UNLESS of course you go to Mt Granview, where dreams come true and the epic bottomless powder continues forever.

Could very well be a glass half full vs a glass half empty perspective that causes this clash of expectations and reporting as well.

I have certainly not been blessed with 'Epic' snowfalls every time I have graced a resort (any resort, including Niseko United) but I have had an 'epic' time - every time. I find something in all conditions, probably had the most fun afternoon of my life in Thredbo in the middle of a lightening storm, rain belting down riding slush...sounds bizarre, but my girlfriend and I had an absolute corker that day... Yet I have seen faces like a cats bum on people when big fat fluffy flakes of POW are falling because it's 'reducing the visibility and their enjoyment'.

Sometimes you can't win.

And sometimes there are people it seems can't lose.

I like to be one of those people that find the win anywhere.

MikePow strikes me as similar.