I'm slowly moving out of the English teacher thing....it has been 20 years. It's actually starting to get in the way of the progress of my other endeavors. But whether I like it or not....it's actually a curse....I AM a good teacher.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked in a total shambles of an eikaiwa. Anyone could get a job there, so there were lots of right characters. We used those Streamline books and somebody realized you could rub out the print with

That's when you weren't trying to cop off with the staff or in some cases the students.

or the students children,

or the students parents.

As long as the students were 50+ then I guess you should be ok. ;)

That's when you weren't trying to cop off with the staff or in some cases the students.

or the students children,

or the students parents.

As long as the students were 50+ then their children should be ok. :D

or the students parents.

As long as the students were 50+ then I guess you should be ok. ;)

granny shagger

• 2 weeks later...

Symbiosis!

Good teachers fill BoEs with hope! We get jobs tapping into that hope! You get jobs because we suck, you remind Boes that good teacher exist, they take a punt on us... :)

but thats the problem....BoE's don't take a punt on good teachers......they settle for the path of least resistance and use crappy dispatch companies who don't give a rat's ass about whether their employees are a) happy, b ) qualified and c) good. This environment is not conducive to crap teachers wanting to better themselves, why strive to improve when there are no incentives to do so? Give us what we are due by Japanese law, we want the same benefits given to Japanese people. I WAS a good teacher, now I'm jaded and don't give a rat's ass. I was shown just how much schools/BoE's/Company's really value their ALT's by being told 1 week before the end of term that there would only be a part time contract on offer for all ALT's in the school......much too late for 99% of the school jobs, they are already filled. So I've been forced to sign ANOTHER 1 year contract, tying me into part time hours and scrabbling around to fill up my week. The silver lining is that I have managed to sew up and large proportion of my previous wage on much less working hours and in the long run may just be the kick in the ass I needed to get off the crutch of teaching english. Schools and BoE's demand professionalism and complain when the ALT's that they get don't measure up.........well that's a 2-way street. Treat your ALT's right, pay them what's due and you will attract those who wish to be here long term. Pay peanuts and all you'll get are monkeys!!

aparently kumagaya BOE recently announced that their alt is now on a term by term basis. This might be the new trend... my contract actually looked suspiciously like that, but they paid me for vacation times too :) 3 months off a year with no wages is too sucky to endure. Id sign the contract, and look for another job in the interim. Id advise you do the same. Id also petition to exclude you from the competition for worst ALT on snowjapan for your admission that you would be a good teacher if you got paid a decent wage. :p

English teaching sucks ass

Now aint that the truth!

How many take up english teaching in Japan because they actually trained or ever wanted to be teachers of anything let alone english? It's the easiest way to get a visa to stay in Japan and that's about it. Most don't intend on spending a long time in Japan and teaching is not ever going to be their ongoing career. Most are never going to overly care whether they're all that good at it or not. TB you didn't ever actually dream of being an english teacher did you? Mate you've really got to convince the wife that it's not that cold in Hokkaido ;)

yeah, school terms... but its actually a little more harsh than that even. I met some dudes from kumagaya (who transferred to our boe precisely because they had this foist upon them in mid march). The gist was that theyd be brought in basically on term by term contracts... So for example you might start late april or even after golden week once the school had settled into its timetable until just before the end of term in July. Then youd have 5-6 weeks off then back again on a new contract from september to late december, then a few weeks off, then mid jan to late march.

Not that id know to be honest, but i assume also that national holidays wouldnt count in your pay and sick days certainly wouldnt count (though i dont get them anyway in my contract - i just lost 40k this month (1/4 of my take home) for three days i took off sick in feb)... and also coincidentally the reason i havent posted about my amazing april trips... i cant afford them :))

Honestly, if you can score a public school gig in korea, it beats the shit out of everything in japan (other than direct hire and JET i assume - oh to be back on jet). Job satisfaction is excellent too, and if you live rural youre treated really well by your boe, your schools, and your kids (SMOE and Gepik tend to treat their people like shit (smoe because its seoul innit, and gepik because its busan and because they decided that having NETs was a massive waste of money and decided to completely suspend funding for it around 2 weeks before the school year started in feb last year - i think they reinstated it again though, but no one needs that kind of shit). Korean people are also a massive laugh (except middle aged dudes and the 'anti english spectrum').

So were it not for snowboarding (the only reason i came back to asia let alone japan), i would still be in korea: It gives you far better pay and conditions compared to Japan... but It just cost too much (financially and physically) coming here for a month every year, praying not to get injured, and knowing i was wasting around 5k every day just on accommodation regardless of whether or not i went out by dint of the fact i was about 1000km away from my house).Thats the only reason i came back to japan. I can do the job in my sleep (so plenty of free time), and just enough cash to get by and have a longer season (even if i actually ride less days in it).

Who knows too, in truth i only managed about 120k savings (which meant my january 1st bank balance (after three pay cheques (including a first one for 100k) and er, the january one) stood at a massive 260,000 yen (less than i got in 1 month on Jet) before the season really started to kick off, so maybe next year ill actually be able to ride and have a little nest egg at the end of it.

as i say, if the demands there, the boes can call the shots. And people like interac will just market it in a way that suggests its a great deal (theyve been doing that for a while if i remember - the 240-250k/month comes with the no pay in august and half pay in december clause).