• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked in a total shambles of an eikaiwa. Anyone could get a job there, so there were lots of right characters. We used those Streamline books and somebody realized you could rub out the print with

GG, did you used to be an english teacher, back in the annals of time....or did you come over here with a real job?

I'm in a quandry TBH as I really don't have much motivation left for teaching, BUT I fricking love the holidays!! :D Getting a real job would mean working longer hours and less hols......dunno if I could do that either

i would be were it not for a little site called englipedia. If youre a JHS teacher, and you have this one stupid site in your bookmarks, i GUARANTEE you will stun the crap out of yrou coworkers. Just passing on the stoke... :)

and tubby, if youre sick of the japan lifestyle, theres always korea. Great place to live and work. Very little responsibility too even as the primary teacher. I could easily have spent full lessons letting the kids watch youtube clips without anyone (bothering) to stop me. Though of course i wouldnt have done that! Im a nice teacher... still, korea gives you a nice break from japan. Once ive done with japan a second time (about the time my nody decides it needs a cheaper hobby), im off back to korea if theyll have me :) Really like the people there so much.

me too! i promise you! i arrived here and thought ffs! can i really be bothered to even PRETEND to want this job? But the break of scenery and culture clears out the cobwebs and lets you keep this bs up for another two or three years.

I nominate myse3lf!

Had a fun discussion tonight. or is it last night about who is the crappest English teach among my friend.

I'm sure I would win. No original ideas, don't like 'teaching' and no qualifications.

Does anyone want to nominate themselves as being worse than me?

I think I'd beat you, I spent two years at Nova, about 7 years ago. Have no teaching qualifications at all, only got the job though my wifes mums friend knowing someone at NOVA. Then got banished to the furtherist school from my house because I refused to teach kids. (Joke was on NOVA though, allthough it was the furtherist away by train it was quite close by bike, so got the train money and rode my moutain bike there)

Never did like teaching there, felt too much like working at a fast food place, I was tempted to ask the students if they wanted fries with their lesson.

very few places require you to actually have teaching qualifications

But most places expect you to have a degree, after all you need a degree to get the working visa.

I nominate myse3lf!

Had a fun discussion tonight. or is it last night about who is the crappest English teach among my friend.

I'm sure I would win. No original ideas, don't like 'teaching' and no qualifications.

I think I'd beat you, I spent two years at Nova, about 7 years ago. Have no teaching qualifications at all, only got the job though my wifes mums friend knowing someone at NOVA. Then got banished to the furtherist school from my house because I refused to teach kids. (Joke was on NOVA though, allthough it was the furtherist away by train it was quite close by bike, so got the train money and rode my moutain bike there)

Never did like teaching there, felt too much like working at a fast food place, I was tempted to ask the students if they wanted fries with their lesson.

Ha! amateur! i see your nova job, and raise you with a "failed in the interview to get a job with nova when i applied in 2004!" Thats right! im so bad i couldnt even get a job with nova!

mate, my mrs wouldn't move to Korea.....and come next Tuesday, she's the boss!! ;) :lol:

congratumiserations :? And woohoo! last day of term in Saitama JHSs :)

I nominate myse3lf!

Ha! amateur! i see your nova job, and raise you with a "failed in the interview to get a job with nova when i applied in 2004!" Thats right! im so bad i couldnt even get a job with nova!

You win, failing to get a job at NOVA certaintly tops my failings as an English teacher. Although if you are teaching now that probably makes you a better teacher than me, I'm a stay at home Dad, too lazy even to try teaching private studants.

I've been trying to convince my mrs to allow me to be a stay at home Dad...........when we actually have kids of course..........but she's having none of it :D

The way to do it is too have twins, two at once is a real handful, after 6 months my wife was very happy to go back to work.

I'm not sick of Japan.....I'm sick of english teaching

I got sick of english teaching about 10mins into my first lesson. I hated english in school and had no interest in teaching it but it was the easiest way to get a sponsored working visa. Lasted less than 5 weeks before heading back to Hokkaido for a better climate and better job. Tubby you should really keep an eye out for a job up in Niseko. No need to worry about lack of holidays when you live in a place you'd normally like to holiday in anyway ;)

GN, I'd love to......I've been harping on to my mrs about moving up to Hokkaido for ages.....she doesn't like the cold :( I've worn her down a little, she is saying that she COULD move there IF we needed to......well I bloody need to!! :)

its okay tubby, if theres an opportunity i wont let it go to waste for you!

D'you know what i hate? I hate that i find it extremely difficult to break contracts. I am a wonderful employee, but im only available in that small interim period between the end of the school year and the time it takes them to offer me a contract. Coincidentally im in that exact period this exact moment! So any niseko job offers, be quick! you dont have long for such a stellar employee! Ignore all that stuff i wrote earlier about being crap at my job and not caring! that was just me trying to fit in with the cool kids! And me telling you to ignore that is just me being self effacing... and me telling you how self effacing i am is just me being ironic.

its okay tubby, if theres an opportunity i wont let it go to waste for you!

D'you know what i hate? I hate that i find it extremely difficult to break contracts. I am a wonderful employee, but im only available in that small interim period between the end of the school year and the time it takes them to offer me a contract. Coincidentally im in that exact period this exact moment! So any niseko job offers, be quick! you dont have long for such a stellar employee! Ignore all that stuff i wrote earlier about being crap at my job and not caring! that was just me trying to fit in with the cool kids! And me telling you to ignore that is just me being self effacing... and me telling you how self effacing i am is just me being ironic.

Don't worry, being crap at my job didn't stop me from being gainfully employed for 7 years in Niseko. Well I wouldn't have been crap if I had have cared about the work but you don't live in a place like Niseko if you care about work. It's all about the lifestyle! I'm an absolutely terrible employee. Much prefer being an employer ;)

I've been trying to convince my mrs to allow me to be a stay at home Dad...........when we actually have kids of course..........but she's having none of it :D

So no stay at home dad or no kids? :D

I worked in a total shambles of an eikaiwa. Anyone could get a job there, so there were lots of right characters. We used those Streamline books and somebody realized you could rub out the print with an ordinary eraser. A couple of teachers' books got very heavily doctored with blue cartoons and sex and drug references, and the whole thing became a game of switching books on the other teachers. That's when you weren't trying to cop off with the staff or in some cases the students.

• Like 1