I remember way back when I was at school I used to LOVE school dinners.

And here to when I first came the kyushoku was generally really nice. Thankfully quite 'Western style'. Last year though the person in charge of the meals changed and it has become much more hit and miss for me. More miss than hit actually and much more traditional.

:(

How's the kyushoku where you are?

I don't eat seafood, so I'd get the months menu at the start of the month and then tell the dinner lady which day's I could eat school lunch, then the others I'd take my own lunch. I loved the bean stews, with little bits of fried tofu and meat....the age pan was good too....just don't eat 2 of them!

When i first arrived i was veggie so couldnt eat school lunch.

Then at Nagano (after long having caved), i decided to give it a crack. Jesus christ what a mistake. Grey everything. Grey rice, potatoes, stew, carrots, curry... well i exaggerate a smidgen, but it was tepid ecoli on a plastic tray.

In korea i ate the BEST school lunch! i freaking loved it... but then they gave me dog soup one day and that was the end of that.

So back to japan, and i immediately pulled out the veggie card. You might be getting fried pork and ginger, but i aint taking any chances... though they did get haagen dazs one lunch which was nice.

Can someone tell me... does 'kyushoku' mean 'school lunch' or does it have a wider meaning?

Are company canteens etc also kyushoku?

Kyuushoku (給食) means 'supplied meal'. Kyuu (給) means received or supplied (also can be used for wages or salary). It's used pretty much exclusively for schools. Technically, it can be used for work as well but it's almost never said in that context. For work you'd say, 'shainshoku' (社員食).