I may have found something to last me until next winter....it's this new thing called longboarding!

haha :p j/k...but I've never really looked into longboarding before until now. Anyone have one? How do you like it? I suppose it would be more difficult here in tokyo though, being crowded/congested.

Thinking about getting one, but we'll see. In the meantime, videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-J2pQrlsw&feature=pyv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqmRAUsn9U&feature=relmfu

I prefer mountainboarding to skateboarding, I am not a big fan of concrete, although dirt/grass is not particularly forgiving either!

http://youtu.be/JKyDcav0YEQ

Not so convinient for the city though.

I do have a "cruiser" skateboard, not a longboard, but I never really feel like I am in control when I ride it. Definitely different to snowboarding, still good fun, but no substitute for snow.

Yeah. Missus and I like longboarding. Check out Silverfish dot com for info.

I really like it. Sometimes we go on a night mission. I also like it when I get pulled along by a bicycle or something...

I go shopping to the local shops on it if I need something quick.

It´s a pintail. but the tail is really just for show. Missus reckons it will be more practical if the pin tail is cut down and curled up so we can brake.

Our track is a cheapie so it wobbles when it goes fast. Just good for pumping and cruising.

I suggested mick to get one and ride fakie on it. That´s how I ride it cos I find pumping easier that way, and what it did after a few years is that I can ride a snowboard switch much easier and never really practiced on it.

My son and his mates all ride longboards. They have a blast. They love grab the rail and slide.

I ride a carveboard with pneumatic tyres. They are a lot of fun. The hardest thing is to find the right place to ride them.

The slope has to be the right pitch and the road the right width and obviously, not many cars.

a carveboard? wots that? like a mountain board....but...different?

not being able to brake in a safe and adult manner, scares me out of trying! :lol:

actually just had a look

Carveboard_7.jpg

a mountain board with slicks....and no feet hooks although I did see another picture that did have them. where do you ride it Mantas?

I´d really like to nail the slide - to brake and cotroll speed.

the smoothness of surface acts differently on the board from road to road, and the wheels you have on it.

Finding a place is gold.

Ideal is a incline that runs from train station to train station. Skate one way, hop back on a train like you have a day ticket ...

Yes that's exactly the one Tubby. The tyres are made from the same material as formula on race tyres. Once they are warm they grip the road like glue. As far as danger goes, they are as dangerous as you want them to be. I certainly dont want to brake any bones so I abide by the golden carveboard rule. NEVER RIDE FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN. They are CARVEboards, made for slow sweeping arcs down a gentle slope. They do not handle any kind of speed.

Seriously, they are the closest thing I have found to snowboarding without the snow. The pneumatic tyres made it a really sweet soft ride too. Its good preparation for a snowboarding trip. Great fun.

It's fairly quite where I live, not many cars. Some new housing subdivisions are perfect. You do need the right angle slope and road width though to get your turns in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Ct34Kr0IY

I'd be screwed, not many hills where I am, its flat as a pancake! :) There's a guy at the beach every summer who has a motorised version, the accelerator is like a scaletrix gun and he buzzes up and down the beach road on it....pretty cool

NEVER RIDE FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN... Geez that I find difficult to do unless it´s on a flat surface. On an incline it will go faster and it feels natural to do so. At the moment I drag the sole of my sneakers to slow down... thinking of getting a glove and rapping my arm with padding. I try picking a road that has grass area on the side so I can bale out.

:lol: No I haven't.

How many ways can you ride a skateboard?

I had a go on one of those battery skateboards, only in the shop though. If you get the lithium batteries, you can go 30+ km/h for over an hour.

NEVER RIDE FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN... Geez that I find difficult to do unless it´s on a flat surface.

You don't need much of a slope to gain speed. The size of the wheels and the ease that the rubber tyres eat up a rough surface will have you rolling way faster than other convention types of boards.

I saw a vid about a skateboard that was meant to be the closest ride to a snowboard, it had castor wheels between the main trucks, so that when you turned sideways, the board flexed and the castor wheels contacted the ground giving you the edge slide you get on a snowboard....video was well cool. Can't remember what they were called though.....but another board that looks like you'd be scraping skin onto the tarmac :lol:

They are called Freeboards.

I´d argue that comparing different tracks and what´s more similar to a snowboard is moot.

I do think the added casters are going to be a learning experience. I don´t butter when I´m on snowboard so it´s not something I look for.

I haven´t worked out how to put youtube vids on so ...

:lol: No I haven't.

How many ways can you ride a skateboard?

I had a go on one of those battery skateboards, only in the shop though. If you get the lithium batteries, you can go 30+ km/h for over an hour.

Saw nippers on a snakeboard. those wiggly things.

I was very impressed ! Kids these days are amazing when it comes to sports.

How did I miss this post!! :omg: Love the vids and those slides! :D

I haven´t worked out how to put youtube vids on so ...

It's easy Jynxx - just copy and paste the youtube link into your post and Bob's your uncle. :thumbsup:

So here are a couple more, the first a longboarding one and the second a freeboarding one - which looks brilliant!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/FreebordMfg?v=Desl_yeM6DA&feature=pyv&ad=7015038640&kw=freeboarding