Trip Report for March 13 2012 - Dynaland & Takasu Snow Park

gallery_11825_168_132292.jpg

I was originally worried about when I would get to use my Dynaland pass as the weather had been warming up and I had a lot of other trips planned for mid February through to early March. I had been watching the weather and when it looked like there would be some cooler weather and possible snow from 3/10 I started to plan a trip and look for other snow junkies that could take a week day off work. When I saw the 6 day forecast i thought Wednesday would be the best conditions as it was snowing from Sunday through to Tuesday but had organised a date for white day so decided to go on the Tuesday instead. It was fortunate I chose the date over snowboarding because Tuesday turned out to be near perfect conditions and Wednesday would have been crusty and tracked out.

My boarding buddy for the day was a beginner, this day being only his third time on the snow. The conditions and skijos were perfect for him. He could enjoy soft snow to fall on, wide groomed runs and very few people to run into. If we had gone on the weekend I'm sure it would have been a different story, we didn't have to wait more than one minute for a lift all day. The day was so enjoyable that by the end my mate decided that he will invest in some gear before next season.

gallery_11825_168_149529.jpg

The Parks

Dynaland is connected at the top to Takasu Snow Park and the lift pass coves both parks. We spent the morning in Dynaland, trying to track out any tree runs and stashes of fresh snow I could find. After lunch we headed over to Takasu Snow Park. This was the second time for me at both these parks but I am still relatively new to boarding and this was the first time I noticed all the off piste potential Takasu Snow Park has to offer. From the top there were plenty of options for different tree runs. The one that I was playing in went from the top down skier's left to a lift around the middle of the mountain crossing a groomed run twice. This was really convenient as my mate could practice his turns on the groomer and I could hit the tree runs.

By about 3:30 my legs were completely wrecked and clearly i need more training before next season. We decided to head back to Dynaland for a few last runs but the fresh snow (or what was left of it) had started to get crusty and the wind had made the groomed runs quite icy, so we made the decision to call it a day and head home.

gallery_11825_168_132292.jpg

Overall this was a great trip and one of my favourite days boarding this season. I will be heading back to Dynaland and Takasu Snow Park again next year. Especially after a big dump of snow. Also a big thanks go out to SnowJapan and Dynaland for the lift passes. If it had not been for them I probably wouldn't have gone back to these parks again these parks again this season.

Edited by Kansaiash

It takes about 3-4hrs to drive there from Kyoto. The overnight bus from Kyoto to Dynaland is also a good shout for weekend one day trips. It arrives at Dynaland at about 4:30 and the lifts (some of them) start from 5.

Its basically the nighta course but in the morning. There are a few resorts in the same area that provide the same service. I've done it once this season but by about 2:30pm I was wrecked and ready to go.

Thanks for sharing that kansaiash.

Hardly surprises me but I didn't manage to get down there this season. Again.

Time to bring out the old 'oh well, next season for sure' comment.

• 9 months later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

You can find an updated weather and snow forecast on the resort pages within the main site.

Unfortunately we don't have a daily report from that area, not for the lack of trying to get something going I may add.