• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even Lonely Planet has described Perth as the bogan capital of Australia. No wonder you like it!! Tell me then what are the redeeming features of living on the edge of nowhere with one of the world's

I was only joking about the seppos I love people from all walks of life.   Would have loved to be in Hokkaido today it has been spewing down spuing I'm not there.   Perth is very expensive though

Western Australia is the most beautiful part of Australia, its so big, with very few people there that its all mostly unspoilt land.......definitely my fave state in Oz

Really? The vast bulk of the state is featureless, flat desert. It has a population of 2.3 million with 1.7 mill of them living in Perth. So beyond Perth there's only around 600,000 people spread out in a state that is over 2.6 million sqkm's! (the UK is only around 240,000 sqkm's for comparison) Most though live around the southwest corner where it's not quite so ridiculously hot. Mucht of the state is practically empty because no one in their right mind would want to live there. There's a few in the NW for the mining and you have to pay them crazy amounts to make it worth their while to live or at least work for a time in such a hell hole. Marble Bar in this area still holds the world record for the longest heat wave. They had 160 consecutive days where the temperature exceeded 37.8 degrees (100 F) with plenty of days in this period getting up around 45 or more. The town averages 154 days a year of temps over 37.8 degrees. Certainly if you like solitude in one of the hottest places on earth then WA definitely has that. There's some magnificent beaches but WA hardly has a monopoly on them in a country that is one big island. Some of the forests and other flora in the SW corner are quite unique and spectacular and it's an area I like for a visit but not to live. I know a lot of people find the 'outback' deserts of Australia to be incredibly beauttiful but I'm a mountain and snow sort of guy rather than blistering heat and seemingly endless red sand. WA just isn't for me. Bogans seem to love it though. :p

having spent about 2-3 months travelling round WA, I'm aware what its like. its not all the same, red featureless desert. From the sand dunes at Geraldton, to the cayons and swimming holes of the Kennedy Range National Park, the beautiful white sands of coral and shark bay, dolphins at Monkey Mia, Exmouth and the pristine Ningaloo Reef, to the tropical Broome, the Pilbara, the Bungle-Bungles, the Mitchell River and Falls are a beautiful piece of the world thats away out there and only really accessible in the dry season..........best part of Australia....truly beautiful wilderness. The key to it probably is that we went in Winter time :D

Have you spent any time in Tasmania? That's my favourite state. Would have moved there but for the wife wanting to be closer to family. We're not far from Wilson's Promontory though which is very much like Tassie with some great beaches like this. Many only accessible by hiking.

tourismpage_wilprom.jpg

Much of Tassie is mountainous and forested and considered wilderness. It's cool throughout the year with snow falling on the peaks in all months. It has what I consider the most spectacular mountains in Aus as it was extensively glaciated during the ice age and although the peaks aren't all that high they are incredibly sheer.

This one for instance. Federation Peak (pointy one back left).

A15.jpg

It has what is without doubt one of the most spectacular and frightening approach routes of any mountain in Aus. I climbed it myself back in the mid '90's. You fall and you're going down 600m to the lake! It's an easy climb though and usually done without ropes. Just don't look down until you get to the top!

A5.jpg

It's an incredible island and as I said earlier I'm a mountains and snow kind of guy so Tassie is my idea of awesome. And with a total population of only around 500,000 it's easy to get away from the masses.

We actually did a hike out to the South West Cape of Tassie. To get there you have to fly into a remote airstrip and it's then it's a 3-4 day from there. You also need climbing gear to negotiate an abseil down a cliff. One of our group left a head torch at the top of the abseil and a friend of theirs went down there the following year. The torch was still there and still worked! I'd say less than 10 people a year manage to get right out to that cape. You like remote? Tassie has it ;)

Skiing in Tassie is not even as good as Scotland! There is some reasonable backcountry but the one and only real resort is pretty crap. Can't have everything I guess :lol:

I enjoyed Tassie the two times I went.

Reminded me of Perth as it was 10 years earlier...but colder.

I enjoyed the weather in Perth today, warm day...coolish morning, perfect for a workout at the park.

Warm enough to get the laundry dry fairly quickly.

But a cool breeze that required the layering of a jumper this evening.

never mind the :hijack: :offtopic: lol

I agree Tassie is beautiful and all,

I liked the bakeries there, cornish pasties were big and yummy ...

But it´s windy and cold.

Now i wouldn´t live in a windy cold place and doesn´t snow for snowboarding kinda place.

Skiing in Tassie is not even as good as Scotland! There is some reasonable backcountry but the one and only real resort is pretty crap. Can't have everything I guess :lol:

:omg: it must be bad

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really think about it until recently - friend came back from a few weeks in Japan and he made it out skiing.

So here I am.

Would love to give it a go next season.

an oldie but a goodie, about moving to karratha (1200kms north of Perth)

A Diary of a Pom In Karratha

August 31st

Just got transferred with work into our new home in Karratha, Western Australia, now this is a town that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.

What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the veranda. It was beautiful. I've finally found my my home. I love it here.

September 13th

Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

September 30th

ad the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but i love it here.

October 10th

This temperature hasn't been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat.

At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20th

I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time i got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran way. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat sh1t. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th

The wind sucks. It feels like a giant fxxking blow dryer!! And its hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th

Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $600,000 house and we can't even go inside.

Why did I ever come here

November 4th

Its 38 degrees. Finally got the ol' air-conditioner fixe today. It cost $1,500 and gets the temp down to 25, but the bloody humidity makes the house feel like its about 30. Stupid repairman.

I hate this stupid fxxkin place.

November 8th

If another wise arse cracks, "hot enough for you today" I'm going to fxxkin throttle him. Fxxkin heat!

By the time I get to work, the car's radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soaking fukin wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th

Tried to run some messages agyer work. Worse shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car.

I though my fxxkin arse was on fire. I lost to layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my fxxkin arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass and baked cat.

November 10th

The weather report might aswell be a fxxkin recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and fukin sunny.

It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn fukin place? Water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and bow into the fukin pool. Even the palms can't live in this fxxkin heat.

November 14th

Welcome to HELL!!!! Temperature got to 41 today. Now the air-conditioner's gone in my car.

The repairman came to fix i and said "hot enough for you today?"

My wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my ass out of fail for assaulting the stupid fxxker. Fxxk Karratha! What kind of sick demented fukin idiot would want to live here?

December 1st

WHAT????? This is the first day of Summer??? You are fxxkin kiddin!!!

I had to spend the whole of winter back home. Long story but my mum has been ill and I ended up going home to help look her and see to a few things. Not what I was planning, but themselves the cards that were dealt.

• 3 weeks later...

I regret not going but it wasn't because of the disaster last year.

More a case of not being able to get the gang together and get it sorted properly.

Starting earlier this time though and there's 3 of us definites. Will be there.

Q: What's the definition of foreplay in Tasmania ?

A: Are you awake mum ?

Anyway I had a great trip in Feb (8 days 7 of them on snow) that was my 3rd trip and I still want to go again in Feb 2013. But there are a few lessons I take on board

a) I cannot board 7 days stright.

B) I like to go to one area board for 3 or 4 days then move on to another area

c) plan and save early (worked hard to get last years trip to happen)

I like to spend 3 or 4 weeks on the 13 trip and even put in some snow miles in Korea (any ideas ?)

Skiing in Korea is little different to skiing in Aus....it's mostly on man made snow. Only real difference is it's colder in Korea. Unless you have a great desire to just say you've skied in Korea I wouldn't recommend it. Especially when you have the good stuff just on the other side of the Sea of Japan.

Skiing in Korea is little different to skiing in Aus....it's mostly on man made snow. Only real difference is it's colder in Korea. Unless you have a great desire to just say you've skied in Korea I wouldn't recommend it. Especially when you have the good stuff just on the other side of the Sea of Japan.

Thanks for the Advice G/N

at the end of the day I went back to Japan because I felt the best way to support the people of Japan after the earthquake is to pay their travel taxes. eat at their restrants, Drink their grog (still working on the stockpile) etc.

Planning starts on my next trip :)