I met a couple from Boulder, Colorado on the bus to the resort from the airport. They told me resorts in Colorado had bugger all snow which is why they decided to make the trip over to Japan. I think some areas of the states like the Pacific NW weren't doing so badly but snowfall through much of the Rockies has been abysmal this season. Even Mammoth in California which can receive huge amounts of snow only has around 130-180cm on the ground. Compare that to the 400-500+cm snowdepths in many parts of Japan currently.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even Lonely Planet has described Perth as the bogan capital of Australia. No wonder you like it!! Tell me then what are the redeeming features of living on the edge of nowhere with one of the world's

I was only joking about the seppos I love people from all walks of life.   Would have loved to be in Hokkaido today it has been spewing down spuing I'm not there.   Perth is very expensive though

Not all the US has had it bad. Admittedly mainland US has, but alaska has been killing it. One of the dudes on another forum is from eaglecrest (Juneau), and hes had wild snow this year. Hes definitely been talking about it in very much record breaking terms. :)

Alaska, while of course part of America, really shouldn't be used as a comparison as its so far north anyway that its different. The US has had late season snow (I think they've had decent snowfall of late) but in January when we were getting uber dumps, I had a look and loads of usually deep snow places were struggling to break a metre

Seriously though there is nothing really to suggest that next season would have any less risk than this season just past. Not if you look at it rationally. Fear though is rarely based on rational thinking...

It can be hoped that those who held back this year will see that many people did come, and returned alive and smiling, and so will entertain plans to visit in the future.

The traditionally snowsure resorts of Utah and Colorado - Alta et al - have had relatively little snowfall this season (to date).

Alta is always mentioned in the same breath as Niseko whenever snowfall stats are bandied about, but they've fallen way short of their average of 14m (550") posting a snowfall total to date of 6.8m (268") compared with Niseko's 14.4m (567").

Aussie Government is really tightening up at the moment I believe.

Good luck Mrs Jynxx.

BTW, Mrs got her partner migration visa today. I´m giddy :D

Pity it didn´t come sooner. Looks like we will be in Japan but will miss out on the snow.

It certainly has been a strange year for snow in Europe, from where we live.

Big dumps on short and less frequent occations does not measure up with constant snow fall over a longer time.

Total snowfall desn´t mean much in terms of - you are there and you get freshy everyday. Not everyone want chest deep and are

contended with knee deep, but constant availability. Powder supermarket yay!

Everybody who left or did not come because of earthquake and radiation issues should not be allowed back into the country. Your support was required for this year. :veryangry:

Say no to Flyjins and chickenjins.

we had every intention of being in Hakuba this season.

Unfortunately Mrs G broke her ankle last year and it still hasnt healed. she had surgery a few weeks ago and all is improving finally.

Fingers crossed we'll see you next January instead (with an even better season!!)

Everybody who left or did not come because of earthquake and radiation issues should not be allowed back into the country. Your support was required for this year. :veryangry:

Say no to Flyjins and chickenjins.

And no doubt you base all of your expensive foreign holiday destination decisions on places that have suffered a natural disaster, hey grinch?

You know, because when you spend a lot of money on a holiday, the biggest factor is wanting to support that country.

(No, didn't think so).

Spoken like someone with an interest, some people just can't help themselves hey? ;)

Very commendable though grinch the way you travel the world supporting countries that have gone through disasters, no doubt instead of going where you feel most comfortable.

:thumbsup:

My friends are coming over to visit next winter so they say. They were originally thinking this year but put it off, and I understand why.

Perhaps under grinch's scheme, they might not be allowed in next time though. Which wouldn't really help "support Japan" would it.

:confused:

Slightly flawed thinking perhaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people are just put off Japan. I must admit that before I came here I didn't know much about earthquakes or even consider it, but I can see how some people might not be more wary now that 'Japan' and 'earthquakes' have a much more headline profile.

Their loss, we may well think, but they are are people who are not emotionally or financially invested in Japan and so are simply making decisions about where they want to go in the world.

And there's a fair wide range of choice of places in the world, hey.

All of us on here are either living in Japan or are very interested in visiting and so not Mr Average tourist out there.

I hardly think that many people would come to Japan on holiday simply out of the wish and desire to help 'support' Japan.

My family didn't come this year because I didn't want them to :lol:

But I did speak to one couple who went to US instead of Japan because of Fukushima.

I would like to go to the US but it's just to far and it's full of seppos :)

Seemore

It's the Aussie vernacular. Not usually said with any denigration.

I think the origin of the Aussie rhyming slang is from the Cockney rhyming slang.

A fellow might say to his wife.. "I am just stepping out for a captain cook at the seppo ship in the port, I grab the linen draper on the way back"

Translated as: I am going out to have a look at the American ship in the the port, I will get the newspaper on the way back"

Dinky dai :lol:

so looking forward to going home.

I can think of much better things about Australia than the 'weird lingo' Jynxx, but I am happy that you are happy to be coming back home.

Is your better half prepared for the flies?

australia-2006.1145255220.central_jess_072.jpg

we had every intention of being in Hakuba this season.

Unfortunately Mrs G broke her ankle last year and it still hasnt healed. she had surgery a few weeks ago and all is improving finally.

Fingers crossed we'll see you next January instead (with an even better season!!)

Well, I actually got to Japan after all!!

unfortunately it was only two days in Tokyo, so no snow.

Weather was very nice though, a sweet change compared to the disgusting 40s weve been getting in Perth!