After seeing the season you guys have had for the most part, I'm feeling regret at not going this season.

I think what happened last year held quite a few people back - for good reason or not - and yes, I was one of them.

But I'm determined to get there next season.

Just thought I'd introduce myself that way on here. Don't mock!

:wave:

Anyone else?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even Lonely Planet has described Perth as the bogan capital of Australia. No wonder you like it!! Tell me then what are the redeeming features of living on the edge of nowhere with one of the world's

I was only joking about the seppos I love people from all walks of life.   Would have loved to be in Hokkaido today it has been spewing down spuing I'm not there.   Perth is very expensive though

teehee, we win. Ive actually enjoyed rubbing it in the faces of everyone on another site just how big the dump was in january/february. :)

I know a few people who are in the same boat.

Not really because of the season we have had - more a case of 'what was the fuss all about' and feeling of :doh: kind of thing.

We were supposed to be there by now, only the Aussie gov. is taking so long to process my missus´ residency visa.

The plan was to go via Japan, meet my folks and off snowboarding.

Bummer.

Aussie Government is really tightening up at the moment I believe.

Good luck Mrs Jynxx.

Well, I came. Even if it WAS only for 5 days on the board.

And given I also did 3 weeks in Europe I reckon that was an exceptional effort. ;)

I think that as well as fears over ground stability and radiation a big impact for Aussies was how strong the AUD was against USD. It made for cheap skiing in the states.

The exchange with the US dollar made a bit of a difference but the crappy season in the US meant many changed their plans back to Japan so I don't think it was a huge factor.

The exchange with the US dollar made a bit of a difference but the crappy season in the US meant many changed their plans back to Japan so I don't think it was a huge factor.

USD exchange rate is def what's held me back the past two seasons. I've been lucky in that the last few seasons in NW area of the States has been good.

Yeah but we're talking about the Aussies deciding whether or not to go to the US or Japan (the Aussie dollar is now worth more than the US dollar but not so strong against the Yen). The Aus skiing market to Japan is just a little big bigger than the US market. I did meet a few from Colorado in Niseko though recently who'd made the trip over because of how bad the snow was in their region this winter.

The exchange with the US dollar made a bit of a difference but the crappy season in the US meant many perhaps some changed their plans back to Japan so I don't think it was a huge factor.

Corrected that for you.

I know of a fair few people who didn't come - either to go to Europe or US - this year.

But surely different people will have different reasons, whether it be exachange rates, earthquakes and/or sticky globs of green goo.

Well I don't really understand how those concerns, if you have them, will be less next season or the season after or after that. Big earthquakes can occur in Japan at any time. There's no accurate way to predict when and where they'll hit. The nuclear issue hasn't really changed that much since they got things relatively under control which was well before the start of this season. The ongoing effects from that will continue for many years to come. In relative terms there'll be no less risk next season compared to this season just past which wasn't any worse than pretty much any other season unless you intended to go touring in the immediate vicinity around the reactors.

The exchange with the US dollar made a bit of a difference but the crappy season in the US meant many perhaps some changed their plans back to Japan so I don't think it was a huge factor.

Corrected that for you.

I know of a fair few people who didn't come - either to go to Europe or US - this year.

But surely different people will have different reasons, whether it be exachange rates, earthquakes and/or sticky globs of green goo.

Just duing my time in Niseko this season I was informed by a number of the reservation managers of the major management companies that a lot of people told them that they changed their plans from the US or went to the US and were so dissapointed they decided on another trip to Japan to get their powder fix. I have no doubt that if the US had've had a bumper season then the effect on numbers going to Niseko and I assume other areas like Hakuba would have been even been worse than they were.

If only everyone was as cleber and as wise as you, Go Native!

Impossible.

Seriously though there is nothing really to suggest that next season would have any less risk than this season just past. Not if you look at it rationally. Fear though is rarely based on rational thinking...

I guess most people look at the headlines - rather than delve deep into scientific reports and analysis about a nuclear disaster etc. when thinking about a holiday.

I went, but I totally understand why lots of people decided not to go to Japan.

Major natural disaster? Nuclear meltdown? Hey yeah, let's go for a holiday there!! :party:

I undertand it too and as has been pointed out numbers were definitely down on the previous year. On average at least 30% up Niseko way. I was just pointing out it was somewhat lucky that the US had such a crap season as this helped tempt quite a few back to Japan when they otherwise would have gone to the US.