Do you like traditional Japanese breakfast?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, not keen.

I went to one place once and I literally couldn't eat anything apart from rice.

thats me at every Japanese inn I stay at.......breakfast and dinner! :D

I am interested to know, if you like the very traditional style breakfast.

A few of my friend who are not Japanese very much do not like it - they say it is unappealing to eat seafood and such early morning.

:friend:

It's excellent. Really love it. The fish roe on rice with the miso soup is just great.

Hate the coffee though. I never drink the coffee, go for the green tea instead.

A lot of Japanese would avoid the rice and miso breakfast and go for the toast and coffee/tea.

IMHO bread in Japan (so as in Australia) is like cardboard. No substance, fluffed white bread.

Always amazed with the same ol´ type of white/ wholemeal bread filling up the whole aisel in a supermarket. Bakery is pretty crap, too.

and overpriced.

When I leave Germany, I will miss the bread here.

BTW, I like porridge in the morning.

Denny´s breakfast isn´t that bad in Japan.

Denny's breakfast is ok because you can't get a anything like a fry up anywhere else, but its actually quite crap........I do enjoy a crap breakfast from time to time though :D

gotta say,

I do like Japanese breakfast at ryokan. AND american diner´s breafast , AND European breakfast buffets.

I do miss the Aussie backon and eggs and Vegimite but not the Tip-top bread.

Half a grapefruit and corn flakes? No thanks.

I love a traditional Japanese breakfast myself. I don't have any sort of issues with eating certain types of foods only at certain times. If I like the taste of a food I can eat it anytime. And there's very little food I don't like ;)

Washoku agrees with me very well. But, I do like to mix it up. At a hotel breakfast buffet I do gravitate towards the washoku fare.

As jynxx mentioned...the bread here just isn't good enough....in fact, it's downright hideous. I rant about the bread almost as much as the squat toilets.

You must go to the wrong places.

There is an amazing bread shop not too far from where I live, they are wayyyyy too good.

I blame them for me putting on weight.

If its a little slice of frozen salmon that's been cooked and then sat there for twenty minutes at the table and is hard and stone cold, then no, not really.

I quite like Japanese breakfast if its freshly cooked with better quality ingredients though. Natto's not a problem. A Japanese brekkie can be much better than the western ones they do. Processed ham, potato salad, a fried egg with no crispy white or runny yolk, etc.

Not in Canada MIJ. Sure there is the shit white bread but also many varieties of healthy and hearty multigrains....most notably Silver Hills breads. Its not cheap but its what I define as quality bread. I have searched all over this country and haven't found anything like it.

Definitely, I hate crabs brain and ammonium-like smelling pink sauced dipped squid at any time of the day.

I might just through up more if faced with it in a morning.

Ika-no-shio-kara?

Yes that stuff is vile.

I like some of it, but got to admit to really not wanting raw stuff and seafood in an early morning.

Don't know why.

I don't mind it so much. However my biggest gripe it just will not power me through the day especially if I'm skiing or biking.

That´s why I go for porrige. Or rice. Slow releasing... doesn´t make you hungry after 2 hours.

Kind of an art, eating, that is. How much and what to eat so you don´t get stuffed, heavy and sleepy, But gets you the energy.

I always remind myself, you use energy to digest ..

I like porridge, but if I'm eating rice it has to be with something.........just plain old white rice (which isn't very good at giving u slow release energy) is bland tasteless crud. It sucks the moisture right out of me as well....I have to drink about a gallon of water before I can do anything else. I like eggs.....especially poached eggs with soldiers.....just had some now....damn nice!! :yummy: