I went to Kusatsu for the second time on the weekend of 10/11 March. According to the weather forecast it had been snowing since the previous Thursday night, and it was snowing when we got there Friday night. Overnight about about12 cms fell, judging by how much was on the car when I went out Saturday morning, and it continued snowing till just after lunch time.

This meant a lot of fresh nice snow to ski on, much nicer than the icier hard stuff I skied on in Feb. To my mind the resort has two halves to it, halfway point being the gondola station and the top car park, you can go from top of the mountain to the bottom without stopping, although the area by the gondola station is very flat so you might need to either use your poles or unclip.

As I'm not that good a skier I stayed on the bottom half on Saturday, having fun in the powder and pushing it a lot more than I usually do. Falling into nice powder snow doesn't hurt (as much). By 2:00 on Saturday most of the powder was gone from the main run down the mountain but there was plenty around the two lifts(# 7 & 8) just by the gondola station.

There was no snow on Saturday night and Sunday was bright and sunny, also meant hard icy snow. After parking the car at the top carpark we went up the gondola, me to ski and my wife and kids to sightsee. One of the runs down from the top was closed, but the open one had lots of powdery snow, so I suspect it may have been closed on Saturday.

After a few runs on the top half of the mountain it was time to go, left just on lunchtime, just as it started to snow again.

At the moment the resort is charging weekday prices for the weekend, not exactly sure why, but does make it a bit cheaper to visit.

gallery_12115_165_23631.jpg

Map of area

gallery_12115_165_59432.jpg

Going up lift 4

gallery_12115_165_156415.jpg

Top of Quad (lift 4) looking down towards top of lifts 1 and 2. Start of lift 6 tucked away to the right

gallery_12115_165_163161.jpg

Looking up towards top of quad lift, entrance to lift 6 bottom left

gallery_12115_165_112642.jpg

Looks like lift 5 is shut for the season

gallery_12115_165_83836.jpg

Not too sure why these lifts were so under used, I found it was faster to go up these and ski down to lift 6, than go up lift 4 and ski down to lift 6.

gallery_12115_165_66127.jpg

Looking down on the Gondola station from top of lift 7 Saturday morning. Top of lift 6 out to the left, you then have to ski a flat area either to the gondola or across the road to access the bottom half of the mountain. Okay for skiers, but snowboarders seem to find it a pain.

gallery_12115_165_332661.jpg

This lift is no longer on the map, even the English map which I was told was very old. Apparently not much call for the english version.

gallery_12115_165_187234.jpg

Area between lifts 4 and 6

gallery_12115_165_74508.jpg

Looking down towards main base. We stayed in the reddish building out ot the left, a few minutes drive away, and walkable if necessary.

gallery_12115_165_71857.jpg

Last run before closing, on the slope above main base

gallery_12115_165_213967.jpg

Main Base, building on the left has rental shop and KFC, middle ticket office, right shop and resturant

gallery_12115_165_10444.jpg

Slope above main base from the carpark, most people have already left. this carpark is usually full by 8:30, opening time.

gallery_12115_165_184098.jpg

From the gondola on Sunday morning, a nice sunny day, meant no powder and hard icier slopes. The run to bottom left was closed off, past the entrance to lift 9.

gallery_12115_165_141331.jpg

Heading up lift 10. Both lift 10 and lift 11 are open for sightseeing, with a lot of snow shoe carring people heading up lift 11 to hike to the top of the mountain. Dispite beening a marked run on the map, the area on the right was closed, and was last trip in Feb as well. I was very tempted to try it, dispite it being closed, but I'm sure it was closed for a reason. It had a lot of snow on it and wasn't that steep, jsut about right for my ability level.

gallery_12115_165_15425.jpg

Looking out towards the heli base and top of mountain, either helicopter in or hike. The closed road over the mountin can just be seen at the bottom of the photo. My wife wants to return in summer, so I hope to get a summer shot from the same point then.

gallery_12115_165_207794.jpg

Looking back towards the top of lift 11 from the top of lift 10. To the left is a track a lot of people headed out on with snow shoes.

gallery_12115_165_180215.jpg

The kids had fun at the top, next year might try them out on skis

• Like 1

Thanks onehunga.

Very cute children!

I remember liking Kusatsu but thinking it was a bit odd and disjointed, like you say a top and bottom bit.

Seeing the photos I remember I enjoyed those top runs.

Must go back again one day.

Did you get a good view of Mt Asama smoking on the way back?

looks actually like an alright place. At first i thought it was a touch flat looking, but a few more pictures, and blam! some proper steeps to it. The second last pic looks like a really fun little tree ride under the lift. Actually looking at the trail map in the first pic, it looks like a LOT of this mountain is open for mischief. Might have to make a trek here and find out. Thanks for the report dude, its given me some food for thought :)

Did you get a good view of Mt Asama smoking on the way back?

No, didn't get a view of Mt Asama, not exactly sure where it is. But if you mean on the drive back, it was snowing getting out of the resort, then dark. Didn't get a view of anything except hundreds of tail lights.

Nice one onehunga.

Kusatsu kind of looks big on a map but is just very long and narrow with that top bit - the bit you will want to be at ippy. Be sure it is all open though - the top left run sometimes is not open.

The bottom bit doesn't really offer me much of interest.

Have you been to Kawaba, ippy?

nope, never been anywhere in gunma. Was kinda thinking about it though what with being a saitama resident. The big problems will be where to kip though on these little forays what with relying on public transport and wanting a full weekend out of it. :)

Kusatsu and Manza will always have a place in my heart.

Before the days of super fast trains going up to Nagano, these places were where to go for a quick train trip and overnight stay.

Have heard some good things about Manza. Thanks for posting this onehunga - I made it to Kusatsu on Christmas Eve and it was half closed, including the link run down to KFC but still had a good time for the first run out of the season. & the onsens in the town are fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

Was the steep course directly under that top left lift open onehunga (lift 10?) - not just the "round the back" course?

No it wasn't. Wasn't open in Feb either. Not only was it roped off at the top, but it appears that something had been "driven" across it halfway down to discourage anyone from trying it.

I couldn't see any reason for it being shut, (but then what I know about snow and hills could be written on the back of a matchbox), and although on the map it's a black run, it didn't look to steep. There is also another run on the map, out to the left of lift 4 that wasn't open both times I was there. What can be seen of it from the lift indicates it's fairly steep and very narrow. Which may be why they have shut it.