Kind of sucks, I put up with Hutt during all the garbage seasons of the mid to late 90's, then after I come to Japan, only then does Hutt decide to have a couple of the greatest seasons ever..

cry.gif

while at home last year I picked up the new book called "white gold", awesome read about Mt Hutt from the the beginning. Highly recommended if you know anyone connected with the place or are from Mid Canterbury and know Methven.

Its pretty crazy but I never did that much skiing in NZ. I had a few winter holidays with the cuzzies in Chch and went to Porter Heights, Mt Hutt etc, but nothing too serious then a day or 3 at Whakapapa. Just never had any money or time and there was always other things to do (sailing mainly - windy wellington and all!).

But Im looking at doing some decent time there in August. Im not sure what to expect after the powder heaven of Nagano so if anyone can fill me in on the NZ scoop Id be stoked. Cheers

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
so if anyone can fill me in on the NZ scoop Id be stoked. Cheers
what do you want to know? best terrain? consistent snow? nightlife? confused.gif
I can fill you in on the South Island

Yeah Mt Hutt is where I used to go the most during my first season back in 98, and what a shocker that season was for snow. To be fair though Mt Hutt gets any snow that comes through and has some snowmaking so there's always enough to ride even in the worst seasons.

Went back in 2001 Aug and had a 30 cm freshies day at Hutt, and got in some good turns at Cheeseman and Porter Heights. I would love to do backcountry in the Craigieburn range and Temple Basin during a good season.

Yeah all of the things you mentioned Kamoshika. Im sure the experience differs a lot for 14 year olds to 24 year olds. Best terrain, best snow, best nightlife, where to go to freak myself out.

Anyone done any back country courses in NZ? Im thinking about having a lookie in August

Hey Fellas, there's another Kiwi hiding in here!

My life on the snow started at OHAU, the best kept secret between Wanaka and Methven!!! www.ohau.co.nz Primo field, no queues, cool staff and wicked pow pow days.

Then I moved on to TC - Treble Cone Wanaka - awesome terrain - anything you want, wide open action, tight stuff, great pow and nice spring skiing. Being 3 hours from Dunedin in the race Subaru, university certainly suffered!!!

Night Life - Wanaka takes a lot of beating.

Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Woollyman:
My life on the snow started at OHAU, the best kept secret between Wanaka and Methven!!! www.ohau.co.nz Primo field, no queues, cool staff and wicked pow pow days.
In my non-skiing days I use to live in Twizel! One of the major regrets living here was that I didn't ski in those days. When I did take it up I started at Tekapo (now known as Roundhill) and often went to Dobson too. Great steeps at Dobson.

Remarkables is pretty sick too for great open terrain. Coronet was a little bit of a bore and Cadrona is a really cool place. Huge hill!

Ohau.....oh how I would like to go there! heard about the place, has that one monstrous long t-bar. looks like a butt and hip killer for the board. Also heard that the place had erratic snow, often there aint enough.

You used to live in Twizzle aye Mogski? did you work for ECNZ?

ECNZ? Never. I was at high chool boarding in Timaru and living in Twizel during the holidays.

Of all the banks in NZ my father had to end up in Twizel!!! Don't regret at all after returning to the city and living in Tokyo. It is so nice to be in the middle of nowhere and go 5 minutes out the gate to the lake or a mass of flat land for as far as the eye can see. Some of the best mornings in the world there in the winter! GREAT PLACE. Just a shame I never skied at Ohau....

Na-Zelend s grate! Bin ther two tymes. Fist tyme Mant. Hutt on lee. Secand tyme though, managed ta make it ta Wanaka. Stad with sum gels that were werkin at Cadrona. Hard ta beet a cupl of Speights at tha Cadrona pub. Funny story, whin we cam out ar car was gone. Had all ar snobord gir in et. Afta a bet of a powwow, we sor et paked abowt 200 mitirs down tha road. Sumbedy forget ta put tha hendbrayk en. (Red: mi) Got ta meet sum Methven criw who cam dewn fa tha weekind- ausum giys, inclodin tha bist snoborda in tha suthin himishere- Quentin Robbins!

If yav neva bin ta Na-Zeland, yar misin out.