Considering this place is the second closest ski-jo to where I live (the closest being Muikamachi Ski Resort) and less than 10 minutes to the lifts, it's pretty amazing that I had never been until today.

Today was the day though and we thought we would check it out - and actually were quite surprised at how big it was. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means big but certainly bigger than I thought. 4 quite slow pair lifts and two 'bases'.

Yet another of the resorts along the recently named 'Paradise Alley'.

It's basically a bit further north than Joetsu Kokusai, which can easily be seen from Chateaux. That also of course means that it is also not far from the magnificent Mt Granview. Perhaps the upcoming gondola from Ishiuchi Hanaoka > Mt Granview could be extended to Chateau Shiozawa to create an even Mega-rer Resort.

Snow was very heavy and granular and spring. Very warm. I noticed a thermometer on one of the lifts saying +9 degrees.

Thighs will have had a good work out.

Runs apart from the top one basically just long and gentle-ish cruisers, so the bottom areas would be pretty good for kids I suppose and there were a fair few down there.

No good camera today, as I have sold all my lenses as I wait for a new camera, so just some fun snapshots time.

:friend:

gallery_6744_163_145456.jpg

gallery_6744_163_37929.jpg

gallery_6744_163_136303.jpg

The top bit... might be more fun on a powder day.

gallery_6744_163_258211.jpg

gallery_6744_163_110511.jpg

The Yoshizato side base, very close to town actually really low

gallery_6744_163_183167.jpg

gallery_6744_163_225489.jpg

The resort basically has rice fields to the left and right. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the courses were over rice fields

gallery_6744_163_103620.jpg

gallery_6744_163_14335.jpg

gallery_6744_163_118237.jpg

The other base. Not sure if twins called Kevin own that building on the right...

gallery_6744_163_398650.jpg

Maiko on the left and Yuzawa behind in the distance

gallery_6744_163_130851.jpg

The cheese shot

gallery_6744_84_45376.jpg

Tired thighs but good exercise

gallery_6744_163_180522.jpg

Thanks - and before you all start bugging me about routes and how to get to all these stellar places, here we go

The magical Ishiuchi Hanaoka > Mt Granview > Chateau Shiozawa route which will in a few years no doubt be THE route to do if you are going to ski in Japan:

http://www.snowjapan...velMode=DRIVING

:thumbsup:

The other base. Not sure if twins called Kevin own that building on the right...

gallery_6744_163_398650.jpg

The Green Hut! It must be the only old building near a Japanese ski resort to have been repainted. You should go and shake their hand!

Does the Chateau have its own wine?

Brilliant Muika! I agree with Joshnii, can't believe you keep pulling these gems out of the hat. :thumbsup:

& I wonder how many more of them are hidden away in the aptly-named "Paradise Alley"?? I think we've been down this road before, but there's a guidebook waiting to be written here, with photos provided by the OP! :)

Thanks for the report.

Seriously, I often wonder how people choose a place to ski - with so many choices, and more so why people choose places like this.

Cute base area(s).

Thanks for the report.

Seriously, I often wonder how people choose a place to ski - with so many choices, and more so why people choose places like this.

Could imagine it being nice for a low-key, family outing.

Very nice, the slopes look very flat or is that just how the pics make them look! That base of that resort and the restaurant and what not looks so much like Jigatake that I went to the other day, with the slopes resembling Shirakabako Royal Hills where I went in December.

Nice to see the smaller less known places like this, I think it is fun to check out as many places as possible including the small one.

It is also a way of spreading the word to others to help keep these smaller places running.

Today on the way over to Gala, I looked over to Chateau Shiozawa and realised why I never really considered it before - most of it isn't really visible from the main roads in the valley and it looks tiny, and the top bit is kind of hidden from view.

I can see it now but I had never really noticed it before.