My pops is coming to stay with me for a couple of weeks from the middle of March. He is keen to get out to ski for a couple of days, but doesn't want to haul his skis and poles over here. He will bring his boots only.

Does anyone in the Nagano/Hakuba area have some spare skis they can lend, give, rent or sell me?

I guess he needs something in the 170cm range and some poles. Ideally, skis that don't need to be waxed or edged would be best. He only skies on groomers, so any regular skis would be fine.

Please let me know if you have some spare skis knocking around and can let me borrow them.

Thanks SJ users.

NECK

The rental shops only tend to do the whole package, including boots and often jacket/pants. My dad is bringing his boots because he has oddly shaped feet and it is very difficult to get boots that fit him properly.

When he was here last time he couldn't rent just the skis in Shiga. We rented the whole set, but the staff refused to set the bindings to his boots and would only set them up to the rental boots which he wasn't going to use..... It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

That's pretty unusual. I try out new skis (rent) from Hakuba Visitor Center from time to time.....not a problem. In Hakuba you won't have an issue with skis only.

The rental shops only tend to do the whole package, including boots and often jacket/pants. My dad is bringing his boots because he has oddly shaped feet and it is very difficult to get boots that fit him properly.

When he was here last time he couldn't rent just the skis in Shiga. We rented the whole set, but the staff refused to set the bindings to his boots and would only set them up to the rental boots which he wasn't going to use..... It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

That is strange as all the shops I have used in Hakuba area let me rent our board / skis only.

Based on those replies Neck

I think the answer is no but you can rent them from a shop.

Or just buy some secondhand ones then sell them again I don't know what ebay is like in Japan but you can get some bargains normally.

Seemore

Are you sure the people were just being awkward, or worse still taking advantage.

I don't think I have ever seen a rental place that insists you have the whole lot.

Just to add yes it seems strange that they only offered that.

Was it actually shops that did that, or the hotel you stayed at - which might explain it more.