First, thanks to Snow Japan for the tickets to Zao Onsen. Much appreciate the free tix!

Headed up to Zao on Friday, March 2nd (my 30th b-day!!)...don't know why i'm excited about being 30, lol! Not much traffic the entire way, and the further we got up to Yamagata, the better the views were. I also enjoyed seeing the ski resort that goes over and under the expressway, seems unique.

Arrived at Zao around 11, checked into our pension (with our dogs), then headed to the ropeway. Got my lift ticket, and the wife/daughter got their single ticket to sightsee up top. There were no lines on Friday, we were the second person waiting for the cable car. Eventually more came, but it wasn't packed at all. This was the same with that spacious gondola.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest, a wettish snow and cloudy. Visibility was decent, enough to see where you are going without having to stop and look around. We at lunch up top, checked out some of the area and snapped a few pics of the snow monsters. They (snow monsters) had began to show some limb, but for the most part they were still covered.

After some family time we parted ways and I began my descent. There was a thin layer of powder covering ice. It didn't feel like packed snow, just straight ice. Possibly a warmer day before, followed by freezing temps maybe, who knows. Futher down it was a bit better, I was only doing a quick afternoon session so wasn't too worried about it.

Finished riding, then headed to the nearest onsen with the family...felt great! The wife can tell the difference between onsens, but I can't, lol. She said Zao has the best onsens! lol

Saturday brought alot of snow, and I made sure to get there early for the fresh runs. There were only a few spots that I hit ice, but other than that the runs were great. Saturday managed to bring some sun before I left, and got to see some great views before finishing for the day. I never had to wait in any lift lines, even though there was a good amount of people there (not packed though).

There's only one real negative thing I could say about Zao, too many flat areas. More than a few times I had to get off the board and walk up/across to the next lift or next run. It may be easier if you know where you want to go, but if it's your first time it can be a bit confusing.

I'd like to go back to Zao again, but earlier in the season when the snow monsters are at their best, during a blue bird day.

Couldn't get better pics, gomen ne! I could list a bunch of factors for the bad pics but I'll just blame it on user error!

norcal_138.jpg

norcal_139.jpg

norcal_141.jpg

norcal_145.jpg

norcal_146.jpg

norcal_148.JPG

norcal_150.JPG

norcal_152.JPG

norcal_156.jpg

norcal_157.jpg

Not sure if this album is linked right, but here goes:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userGallery=425&userid=norcal

Nice, norcal.

I think the downside of Zao as you mentioned can be minimised once you know the layout. Definitely needs a bit of study but once you know, it can be largely avoided... or at least you know where you need to be going fast. That's from a skiers pov, of course.

Thanks for the pics, norcal. :thumbsup:

Even with the branches showing, the monsters still have a fair amount of character to them, don't they?

I see you found Yokokura no Kabe at the end there. Did you slide down it? If so, how was it on a snowboard? Must be all mogulled up now.

Add: I have seen some boarders with collapsible poles for the difficult areas at Zao. Seemed like a good idea.

I had no idea what I was getting into Metabo, lol. I came up to that run, the clouds parted and I was taken in by the view. After taking pics for about 5 minutes and looking around I finally made my way up to the edge.....as soon as I started going down I felt an icy bump. I already knew....."Damn moguls!" lol Didn't go straight down it, just worked my way down. Once I got near the bottom another snowboarder flew by me, haha.

I thought the snow monsters were pretty cool, the way they were still frozen in that 'windy' position. Don't think they have much time left this season though, another warm day and I'm sure they'll be done for the season.

Thanks norcal.

What kind of dogs you got btw?

I have 2 mutts/mixed dogs that I got free as puppies in Okinawa. Had the one on the right for 5 years & the one on the left for about 3 or 4.

.....and yes, that's my CLEAN underwear on them, lol. No, I'm not fat..they are only 32's!! lol

norcal_159.jpg

Just because I was going through pics I'll throw this one up...poor dog broke her leg a few years ago. She's fine now, a bit chunky though!

norcal_158.jpg

My wife booked the place, I'll have her send me the link so I can post it. This is the name of the pension though:

norcal_160.jpg

I took a few pics, but wasn't sure if it was ok to post them....? I'll post them up maybe tomorrow. Nice quiet, relaxing place. Seems like they have plenty of rooms. Also, they'll take a picture of your pets and keep it on display for that year, and then put it in a photo album that they keep at the front desk. They really seem to be pet friendly there, more than I thought they would be!

• SnowJapan Admin

Love the dogs! I'll show Bob!

Feel free to post photos, got no problem with that.

We would really like to have more Zao places in Places to Stay, I would be interested to know norcal if you could mail me.

If you thnk it is a place that would welcome other foreigners and if you think they might be interested in being on our site.

(Did you mention us?). ;)

Thanks.

Really liked this place. Seems to have plenty of rooms, maybe about 10 or more...? The place is really big, not cramped at all. The rooms have 2 or 3 beds, small tv, couch, refrigerator, sink, toilet and a shower. They ask that if you leave the pension that you put your pets in a cage (so you may want to bring your cage).

We were the only ones there from Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon, so they offered us rides to (and from) the mountain/onsens. Also during dinner/breakfast our dogs were free to roam the place. They have hooks attached to the legs of the tables for ones that need leashes (tables are mounted to the floor).

They have a hot tub there too, I didn't use it b/c we had went to the onsen but the wife/daughter did, lol. There's one in the mens room & womens room (public bath area).

Below you can see a pic with a bunch of dog pictures. They ask to take a picture of your pet to put it on display, as you can see. They have photo albums by year of pets that have stayed before as well.

The place is really relaxing, nice and quiet. Wish I had snapped a few more pics, but you can see the rooms on the site. If you have any questions about it just ask, I'll try to answer.

Here's the link:

http://www.jyonida.com/

A few pics from the dining area:

norcal_162.jpg

norcal_163.jpg

norcal_165.jpg

I'd never seen an old snowboard in-person, so felt like I was meeting a celebrity, lol:

norcal_164.jpg

Zero (the owner's dog):

norcal_166.jpg