Actually nothing is required. not a single piece of ID. zero. Very very scary stuff but we have on multiple occasions switched someone from our group, having them use the original name (switching a name is insanely expensive) with absolutely no id check. Have we learned nothing about air security?????

Quote:
[/QB]Have we learned nothing about air security?????[/QB]
It appears not, I flew recently and inadvertently took my keychain pocket knife with me, went through the check, no one batted an eyelid.

As an aside the stupidest thing about the American overkill on security, ie pulling tweezers and nail clippers, is that they still serve you wine in a glass bottle! hello! glass bottle! smash that badboy and you have a nasty lethal weapon somewhat more so than nail clippers...Havent the airline people seen movies like "once were warriors"? and learned.
hell just ask my cousin what a broken beer bottle shoved in your face can do.

On a piece of paper I got with my gaijin card, sez it must be carried at all time. Besides this, I always bring with me a copy of my gaijin card, passport, credit card information and insurance information. Once I thought I lost my wallet in Niseko, boy what a horrible experience.

A wee story about why you should always carry your gaijin card...

Last year a friend was in tokyo and needed to meet someone in Yoyogi park. Being about 4am and drunk as a skunk he "borrowed" a bike and started peddling. The coppers grabbed him and took him to the koban where he couldnt produce his gaijin card because it was back in Nagano. He had to call his supervisor at 5am get her to break into his house and get his gaijin card, photocopy it and fax it to the koban in Tokyo. And in the drawer below where the card was kept was some things that he definately did NOT want his supervisor to find. All turned out well in the end but it just makes you think that its a lot easier to carry the damn thing.

earlier in the night that zwelgen's talking about, this guy couldn't get into a club in shibuya bc he didn't have his gaijin card. what's up with that?? can only foreign residents go to some clubs and not travellers?

bit off topic....

setting: arriving at Narita after a few weeks away in Switzerland

customs: what is that?

db: a snowboard bag.

customs: is there a snowboard in it?

db: i hope so.

Customs: do you play snowboard in japan?

db: every weekend.

customs: then why did you go to switzerland to play snowboard? I dont understand why you would do that. Please explain.

db (purposely being a ****er): because switzerland is a far better place than japan to play snowboard.

customs (funny look on his face): i still don't understand why you would go all that way when you can play snowboard in japan?

db (being a bigger ****er, but having fun): i am really rich, and i like to fly to switzerland to play snowboard as it is better than japan.

customs (lots of tooth sucking): this seems very strange to me, please open your bag.

*customs man starts opening an internal pouch to the bag and shoves his hand in there*

db: what do you expect to find in 3 weeks worth of dirty underpants and skiing socks?

*customs man opens internal pouch fully to find his usually ultra-hygenic hand wrist deep in said filth*

customs man: what do you do for a job?

db: ginko no hito

customs man: thankyou, that is all, have a nice day.

Now tell me, at what point in this stupid (and honest) exchange did the customs guy actually do one useful thing for the security of japan? He gets ultra-suspicious over nothing, toys with my dirty laundry, hears i work in a bank (no proof requested and not at all looking like i do) and says "well, all is ok, have a nice time".

After rifling through our passports, one of the customs morons once asked my wife and me if we were brother and sister. I have an English passport and look English, and she has a Japanese passport and looks Japanese.

OUfreeski2:

going for Yuki Matsuri on Friday at Sapporro, then arriving to Niseko on Sunday morning.

db, hahah.... thats some story.... now if I can only get those hot security chicks to do the same thing :p

I do have my Gajin card with me at all times, but its the passport thing I am not sure of.

Another good story:

Once I was stopped by patrol on the streets while walking back home, they asked for my gajin card and where I was going. After some difficulty with the Japanese language, I asked them why I was stopped. The only english words I got out of their mouths were "Gang... gang...yakuza?" I guess being an Asian with bleach blonde hair (was raised in Canada) wasnt so great walking around at night.

They were quite surprised when they found out Computer Engineer instead.... The whole situation broke into laughter, and ended with big pads on the back, and a big group hug thing..

weird... confused.gif :p

Quote:
Originally posted by amandanism:
its when they take away your razors at the security check, but then supply them in the amenities cabinet of the airplane toilet that i start getting worried (ala singapore airlines.) those babies are sharper aswell.
I was coming back from Hawaii and didnt have any baggage to check in (I like to travel light) and they made me take off my shoes, checked all through my bag and eventually confiscated my hair mousse!!! I hadnt slept the night before and was just about ready to have a major nut at them. I mean really, mousse? Becuase its in a pressurised can?! mad.gif