Claiming back fraudulent use of credit card

Ever had to try and claim back a charge on your credit card that was fraudulent and had nothing to do with you?

It's like pulling hairs out, this is just annoying me so much how some people can get away with stuff and pour a whole load of trouble and time-wasting on innocent victims.

After much back and forth the bank seems to actually believe me now but say it might be 2-3 months before I get my money back.

:wakaranai:

It is usually 6 weeks to 3 months to get fraudulent charges back.

We were discussing this last night!

My folks were over for my birthday and talking about only taking their credit card (one) for their 6 week jaunt to Europe this Northern Summer.

I told them they needed back up cards and to wrap at least one in alfoil or get a protective RFID blocking wallet.

Something like this below:

1313059202_54.jpg

PB got his cards hit in Tokyo during the Rugby World Cup, and my Amex was targeted two weeks ago. It was bizarre as I had not used that particular AMEX card for quite a while, so they had either been sitting on the information or it is was a random hit or they scanned it through my purse as I still have it in my possession.

It made me decide to invest in RFID blocking wallets for everyone this year - the gift of the year - keeping your money and your details safe.

ah, the coop bank ftw.

Phoned them up, said "dudes, i think someones hacked my card and is spending it in william hill online and subscriptions to the racing post. I didnt do it, so would you mind fixing it and sending me a new card".

'no probs ipps!' they replied, 'just make sure you send back the disclosure form so that the credit reimbursement goes through'.

'oooh! one more thing' i said, 'the dude who nicked my details actually PUT 50 quid into my account. I didnt do that, so er, you should probably keep that!'

'haha, no problem'

And that was that.

They reimbursed me and let me keep the 50 quid :) I love being a hippy and banking with the coop bank.

He PUT 50quid IN?

Doh!

you-loser.jpg

Yeah. oblivion. I have been aware of these wallets for a while but never thought of them as a big deal, but it is becoming more and more the 'thing' - chip technology in the cards - paypass/paywave/you don't have to remove your card to scan -eg lift ticket.... sometimes it is a bit scary how easy it is for these devious pwicks to electronically pick pocket you!!

i thought by law, the credit card companies have to prove you it wasnt fraudulent usage.

Last time for me, they quickly coughed up when I mentioned that.

Just purchased a nice RFID safe leather wallet and an RFID safe pouch (to fit a couple of passports into) for my Dad for his birthday next week :D

Thanks for the awesome idea sparking!!

Now I shall have to start looking for one for me.

I had not considered the Passport one, but it was on the same site/page as the wallet I purchased.

They now have chips in them too - SO easy to steal identities with these. Why not stick them into a handy little wallet that shields that info from prying eyes - can't harm, and can only increase your electronic security.

Is it a Japanese bank Mina? Or a card/bank from back home? My bank back home sorted out mines no problems, I told them where I was, which times I used it and which ones I didn't and they sorted it all out very quickly

It reminds me of some of the smart dudes trying to sell stuff second hand ("just a few scratches!") on amazon..... at a price considerably more expensive than amazons NEW price on the same page!

:doh:

Very annoying about someone using your card.

Just purchased a nice RFID safe leather wallet and an RFID safe pouch (to fit a couple of passports into) for my Dad for his birthday next week :D

Thanks for the awesome idea sparking!!

Now I shall have to start looking for one for me.

I had not considered the Passport one, but it was on the same site/page as the wallet I purchased.

They now have chips in them too - SO easy to steal identities with these. Why not stick them into a handy little wallet that shields that info from prying eyes - can't harm, and can only increase your electronic security.

Good Idea!

I´d get on to it, too.

Where did you get yours?

It is usually 6 weeks to 3 months to get fraudulent charges back.

We were discussing this last night!

My folks were over for my birthday and talking about only taking their credit card (one) for their 6 week jaunt to Europe this Northern Summer.

I told them they needed back up cards and to wrap at least one in alfoil or get a protective RFID blocking wallet.

Something like this below:

1313059202_54.jpg

PB got his cards hit in Tokyo during the Rugby World Cup, and my Amex was targeted two weeks ago. It was bizarre as I had not used that particular AMEX card for quite a while, so they had either been sitting on the information or it is was a random hit or they scanned it through my purse as I still have it in my possession.

It made me decide to invest in RFID blocking wallets for everyone this year - the gift of the year - keeping your money and your details safe.

What a waste of money!

Should have got this one:

Special RFID blocking wallet.

;)

Japan, tubby.

Someone had opened up a monthly contract with a company online in my name. So it's proving difficult to 'prove' even though I obviously know it is not me. The company is saying that it is me. I'm sure I'll be ok in the end it is just endlessly frustrating having to spend time and frustration over it.

yeah, sounds like a pain in the ass. The reason I ask is that I don't think Japan fully gets Credit Cards just now, so I could totally see how they'd want you to pay for it...good luck

ah, the coop bank ftw.

Phoned them up, said "dudes, i think someones hacked my card and is spending it in william hill online and subscriptions to the racing post. I didnt do it, so would you mind fixing it and sending me a new card".

'no probs ipps!' they replied, 'just make sure you send back the disclosure form so that the credit reimbursement goes through'.

'oooh! one more thing' i said, 'the dude who nicked my details actually PUT 50 quid into my account. I didnt do that, so er, you should probably keep that!'

'haha, no problem'

And that was that.

They reimbursed me and let me keep the 50 quid :) I love being a hippy and banking with the coop bank.

Did you ask why? Would be worth 50 quid to know why someone did that!