I am in the market for a helmet can but am undecided on which one to go for.

I like the look and ease of use of the ContourROAM, but many people seem to recommend the GoPro Hero2 for picture quality.

I ride tree lines a lot and am worried that the top mounting of the GoPro, may cause the camera to be taken clean off if I don't duck low enough under a branch!

I would appreciate any comments or advice any Contour or GoPro users can offer. I am looking to buy one of them ASAP.

Thanks.

NECK.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont have to mount the gopro on the top of the helmet, you can also mount it more to the front so its not sticking above your helmet. I actually use the head strap to helmet mount as Im not sure I trust the 3M sticky mounts in the event of a big fall - the strap comes with the Outdoor edition. Done like this it actually fits quite close to the front of the helmet so it shouldnt get knocked off by a branch, and even if it does, the goggle strap holder on the back of your helmet will hold it on (assuming your helmet has the goggle strap holder - some dont). If you are skiing, you might also want to consider chest mounting, which can give nice results - I dont think this is an option with the Contour ROAM. Snowboarders seem to get best results mounting on the end of a pole which I think would be OK with either camera.

I dont know that much about the contour roam, but I think I read the picture quality is not as good and afaik, it doesnt come with the waterproof, protective box that the GoPro does so its only waterproof to 1 metre. Also with the GoPro 2, you can film 60FPS at 720p which is great if you want to slow down the action. The other thing is that in Japan, I think accessories - mounts, spare batteries, etc - are more readily available and the WiFi backpack is coming out soon which will allow you to control the camera and see what its doing from a strap on your wrist, as well as stream the video to a mobile device such as an iphone and so on.

Im not sure the difference in price, but if thats not a major consideration, I'd go with the GoPro2.

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I hear the 60FPS at 720p on the GoPro is great for slow mo when editing. I didn't think to use the headstrap over a helmet. That is a good idea.

The waterproof casing (lack of) is not an issue with the ContourROAM, as it's 1 m rating is more than enough for snowboarding in powder. Mounting on the pole does give nice footage, but I would use the camera on the helmet only, plus maybe mounted underneath a cruiser skateboard for bombing hills. It seems Rakuten has all the accessories for the Contour.

Yeah, I did look into those Snowpony. Are they any good? I have read mixed reviews on the new 1080p ones..... I am pretty set on either the ContourROAM or a GoPro at this stage.

I've looked at both, but bought neither, lol. The GoPro seems to be the better of the two though, I think you have less options (mounting) with the contour hd. For example, I don't think the Contour would do as well on the stick like the GoPro does for boards. The only thing I don't like about the Gopro is the audio. I know everyone puts music with their vids, but it would be nice to see a video that didn't sound like someone eating a bag of chips in your ear.

I plan on getting a GoPro eventually...my luck it will be right before the 3 comes out lol.

Good luck on your choice!

I haven't read any reviews on the 1080p's other than the marketing blurbs but the 720p version did alright against a contour ( not sure which version) which my riding buddy has

the only down point was the fixed camera lens which has now been changed in the new version

I have some of his vision on my lappy I'll edit out my spills & put some up for you to compare

Thanks snowpony.

Yeah norcal, the audio is pretty shocking on the majority of GoPro footage I watch! My buddy has the old ContourHD, but he uses the waterproof case so it can't record audio when he rides.

The Contour can be mounted to a pole exactly the same as the GoPro, but you need to buy the universal mount and the pole mount seperately (around 400 yen for the pair on Rakuten). At this stage I am leaning toward the ContourROAM......

The guy I rode with in Rusutsu

Lost his helmet mount Go-Pro on the 1st run.

I am looking at buying one as well but won't use the helmet mount it's not the cost it's the vid you lose.

In saying that I reckon in Summer once the snow has melted there should be heaps of stuff on the mountain salvage guys would clean up.

Seemore

Rider 69, the GoPro Hero2 is 10,000 yen more than the ContourROAM....

Seemore, yeah I worry about the GoPro helmet mount. It seems stupid to have it sticking up like that! The Contour is mounted on the side of the helmet, but still is held only by 3M sticky pad stuff... My buddy uses the goggle mount for his ContourHD, but says he constantly needs to tighten the goggle strap.

I saw somebody on youtube bodged a couple of bolts through one of the gopro helmet mounts and through the helmet to really make sure it didnt come off. Im not sure what this does to the integrity of the helmet though....!

Hey Neck been having some probs uploading the comparsion vids of the same runs onto utube

if you search snowpony64 as a user on youtube there is already some vids posted there

the ones from the contour have his noggin in the left hand side of the picture

no pic adjustments done on those they went up when we were at Shiga, the ones I did last night i changed the brightness setting on my vid & it came up alot clearer

so the editing software is probably just as important but I can't get them loaded atm

As well as using the headstrap to mount the GoPro on the front of your helmet, you can also buy a front mount accessory:

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/helmet-front-mount/

Also this allows you to turn the camera around and film yourself from your helmet - this is pretty good actually - you will find when editing your clips that it is best to have a variety of different view points. If you just have helmet footage, its gonna get pretty boring pretty quickly and it is difficult to make smooth edits without using a load of transitions. You might want to helmet mount most of the time for convenience, but if you do a couple of runs with a pole mount and say a helmet mount filming yourself, you'll be able to edit a much more interesting video. POV helmet mount usually works best if you are filming a friend in front of you.

A couple of my friends have the countour and they have a really tough time with snow getting stuck on the lens. There is a little plastic ridge on the front around the whole lens, which catches powder very easily.. The gopro housing in contrast is convex and snow slides off it much easier.

I'm not a big fan of POV footage, although I used to use the helmet mount for the gopro alot. The best option is the strap mount that threads through your helmet. It does not shake at all, but holds on much more securely when getting whaked by branches, lifts, etc.. Wouldn't trust the adhesive mounts much..

Most of the time recently, I use either the cam on a stick mount, which makes great footage; or the wrist housing mount, which isn't that great for shooting while riding, but is very convenient for when you stop and want to film other people riding past. I just keep the camera on from top to bottom of the run and can catch some nice bails etc..

Image quality seems to be a bit better with the gopro from what I've seen as well.

Cheers

-D

hey neck i rock a gropro helmet mount i use the strap provided to keep it in. I have had lots a crashes hitting trees, three or 4 somersaults riding pow and park hasnt come off yet so dont worry about losing it, i would not reccommend the sticky pads i have heard some horror stories off them coming off never to been seen again.

here is a video off us filming each other with gopros throuogh trees in Myoko. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlHa2So8ns4&hd=1

So it seems that most SJ users rate the GoPro above the Contour. I think they both have pros and cons, but have opted to go with the ContourROAM. Any SJ users have the ROAM?

The new Swann Freestyle is another good option, for the same price as the Gopro Hero you get a telephoto lens, remote control, LCD screen and a laser (sounds cool to have a camera with a laser). Similar in spec, sz and accessories as the Gopro

• 8 months later...

I have a Contour Roam Neck. Used it last season in Niseko. The base model doesn't have 60 fps which woul dbe nice for some slow mo but apart from that I am really happy with it. It sounds pretty weak but the Go Pro just looks stupid on top of your helmet. You kinda look like a tele tubbie (just a vanity issue not a technical one). Biggest thing I like about the contour is their one huge sliding button for on or off and thats it. With gloves or mits on it makes a huge difference. I seen a lot of unedited video (whick to be honest thats how most of it stays) for Go pros wheer the first thing you hear is "is it on". Even with remotes and wireless gizmos it still is more fooling around than with a simple sliding switch.

The 3M mounts work well. It also comes with a small line/tether that you can fix to the camera and your helmet strap near your ear. If you lose your cameras then you have probably also just killed yourself so you wont be too concerned.

I do like the Go Pros aswell. Foro ther sports where I dont wear gloves/mits and I can mount it wheer I can see the camera to check if it is on, I would probably get one.

if you use a beacon then do not buy a go pro it effects your beacon.

not quite as simple as that, is it. If people are interested then they should do some research. Basically any electronic device will cause interference within a specific range, not limited to a go pro.

What I have found is that I will be quite happy using my go pro with a helmet mount, and beacon.

I have a Go Pro HD Hero 2.

Footage can be seen in my Sapporo Kokusai thread.

I bought it about a month before they announced the HD Hero 3!

I was upset about that!

It's a fantastic little camera though. It takes lovely clear still photos.

When they see the photos, my friends through photography often ask what new lens I got for my DSLR.

They're always surprised when I tell them it's just the Go Pro!

I have been using the Contour HD 1080 for the past four years in NZ & Japan and am very happy with the image quality and ease of use though the Roam would be even easier again I imagine with the new on/off switch.

Some footage here

http://www.snowjapan...464#entry452464

And rather than stick up like a meercat on guard duty, it's virtually undetectable as in this pic

gallery_10039_33_425137.jpg