• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting take on Win8 ... You could accuse Microsoft of a lot over the years, but it's never powered North Korea's nuclear missile programme. Unless, that is, you read 21st Century Business, a Chi

I am starting to like more and more - it does allow for a lot more "customization", but this of course takes a bit more setting up. One complaint - the power off / restart is under the settings menu - this should surely have its own button?

• 3 months later...
It was, proclaimed Microsoft’s irrepressible salesman Steve Ballmer, a “bet-the-company” moment.

But the wager on Windows 8, a new operating system which would halt the slide in PC sales and challenge Apple’s iPad, has turned sour after the computer giant announced a humiliating U-turn.

In what has been described as the biggest admission of commercial failure for a major product launch since “new Coke” was withdrawn 30 years ago, Microsoft is to overhaul Windows 8, the software update which prompted a backlash from customers who found it impossible to navigate.

Pitched as an operating system for both desktop computers and tablets, Windows 8’s touch-screen interface confused Microsoft’s customers with its interactive “tile”-based start screen and the omission of the brand’s famous “Start” button.

Will this Blue update later this year be free then?

I'm glad I didn't "downgrade" to Windows 8, what a bloody awful mess by the looks.

Quite funny though it took them so long to realise how bad it was.

It was, proclaimed Microsoft’s irrepressible salesman Steve Ballmer, a “bet-the-company” moment.

But the wager on Windows 8, a new operating system which would halt the slide in PC sales and challenge Apple’s iPad, has turned sour after the computer giant announced a humiliating U-turn.

In what has been described as the biggest admission of commercial failure for a major product launch since “new Coke” was withdrawn 30 years ago, Microsoft is to overhaul Windows 8, the software update which prompted a backlash from customers who found it impossible to navigate.

Pitched as an operating system for both desktop computers and tablets, Windows 8’s touch-screen interface confused Microsoft’s customers with its interactive “tile”-based start screen and the omission of the brand’s famous “Start” button.

Will this Blue update later this year be free then?

Yes, I believe so, just an update.

Think of it as an apology.

My wifes new comp has windows 8 which I used as well and we both agree it is shite.

You csn have it ad a normal desktop by clicking the dektop icon in the bottom right corner which is hidden but appears when you move your mouse cursor over the bottom left corner.

The menu can be found by hovering the mouse cursor over the bottom right corner if you are in desktop mode.

I dont really like it though not as a mouse computer it may however be more useful if you have a touch screen type and just use the icon screen like a smart phone.

Interesting take on Win8 ...

You could accuse Microsoft of a lot over the years, but it's never powered North Korea's nuclear missile programme. Unless, that is, you read 21st Century Business, a Chinese publication that fell for a spoof article by New Yorker gag merchant Andy Borowitz.

Borowitz's article claimed a North Korean missile test had been scrapped because of a glitch in Windows 8, the operating system it runs on. 21st Century Business took it as gospel, and ran a news piece on it, our sister site CNET News reports. Whoops. The 21st Century Business article has since been deleted.

"Intelligence analysts said that the announcement gave rare insight into the inner workings of North Korea's missile programme, which until last year had been running on Windows 95," Borowitz's spoof reads.

"The announcement from the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) did not indicate a new scheduled time for a missile test, saying only that it was 'working with Windows 8 support to resolve the issue.'

"In the words of one intelligence analyst, 'This means that the test has been delayed indefinitely.'

"A source close to the North Korean regime reported that Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un is furious about the Windows 8 problems and is considering a number of options, including declaring war on Microsoft."

For a satirist, having your work mistaken for the real thing must be the highest form of praise.

Windows 8 has had its fair share of troubles, with everyone and his dog blaming it for the downturn in global PC sales, but this is one step beyond.

from C|Net

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

It took a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

Definitely the best Windows there has been, though you would perhaps expect that.. it being the latest.

I have been learning it - didn't have much choice- over the last week or so.

I don't mind it at all once I got rid of lots of those useless tiles on the main page.

The desktop and those tiles seems somewhat awkward but there's things to like about it too.

It might just be the newer computer but it does seem much faster.

• 3 weeks later...

My lady bought a new computer last week.

It's a Toshiba all in one desktop thing. Office included and it was just over 70,000 yen.

Blimey that's cheap I thought.

Looks good too.

For basic internet/mail and work, it's more than enough.

Windows 8 seems ok too once you get used to it.