Anyone going to download the beta?

I haven't been following it, and really don't know what Metro is yet, but it seems like a pretty radical change.

Just thought I'd start a Windows post as a change from all those apples!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting take on Win8 ... You could accuse Microsoft of a lot over the years, but it's never powered North Korea's nuclear missile programme. Unless, that is, you read 21st Century Business, a Chi

It looks well nifty on that tablet they have in the video with the bald dude.

If I could access files and folders on my home network as quickly as explorer on a laptop, I'd definitely buy a windows tablet. I think a lot of other folks would too.

• 7 months later...

I have no wish to relearn an operating system. Switching from Windows 7 to osX on a mac was bad enough, and still learning that.

Am going to stick with Windows 7 until I am forced to change.

Well I never like to buy the latest windows as soon as it hits the shelves, as they always without fail have some bugs that need ironing out!

I wait until all the problems have been sorted before buying then I get a nice stable smooth running operating system.

I anyway bought the latest quad core i7 computer just a few months ago, so no intention to change it anytime soon.

I hear this time anyone with any version can change the UI language.

That was always annoying with Windows before now.

I'm too busy not to have to learn a new computer system though, so not for me.

Had a go myself over the weekend. I know it will surely be quick to get used to but it sure is going to frustrate a lot of people at the beginning. Knowing attention spans, I can see a lot of people giving up very quickly.

If the tablet version only runs special apps and not Windows software, it strikes me as a waste of time.

They should make something capable of doing much more than an Ipad, not just something with the same limitations.

The interface looks prettier though. IOS with its grid of icons is pretty naff. You wouldn't know its the same company as MacOS.

I suppose lots of Windows computers will now start shipping with touch screens.

Hardly of use to me if I'm going to be accessing Windows when I need to on a Mac without that. Seemed very awkward without being able to 'touch' it. Was very frustrating. Though I didn't give it a huge amount of time.

I had a go on it today because I had to go and buy a new keyboard.

In the computer shop, the computers with Windows 8 weren't online and had no preloaded example content, so the start tile thingys were basically all static. They might have a hard job selling Windows 8 to people if they are not going to show what it can do.

They also had a 13inch retina mac laptop that was offline and had no preloaded photos. In that situation, its virtually impossible to tell how good the screen is.

That new system is irritating at best, on a first few tries anyway.

I'm certainly not sold on the idea.

Can't quite see why the same system is good for both a desktop and mobile experience - they are totally different.

• 2 months later...

Well we bit the bullet and bought a new PC - Windows 8 certainly takes a bit of getting used to, but thanks at least in part to getting a solid state system hard drive, it boots up from off in about 20 seconds and is ready to start working straight after logging in (unlike my work laptop which needs 5 minutes after logging on until it is ready to actually do any work.