The most beautiful scenery I've ever seen en route to Niseko!

Can someone tell me the name of the beautiful lake (or is it ocean) and it's surrounds, just out of Sapporo en route to Niseko. It is pretty much the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!!!!! I love it, and astounds me with it's beauty every year! (I've just been too focused on our snow trips recently to find out).

I assume you mean on the drive from Chitose to Niseko? The lake is called Shikotsu. On the left of the road there is a volcanic peak called Mt Tarumae and on the other side of the lake the beautiful peak rising up from the lake edge is Mt Eniwa.

Yep, from Chitose airport. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my, it's just stunning! Like Seemore, I'd love to see it in Summer also. I'd love to stop and have a cup of tea and just drink in that scenery and how beautifully peaceful it looks. Ahhhh....oh well, back to work! Thank you!

Could be lake Toya

I love the drive in and even going home.

I would love to see it in summer.

Seemore

I've been there in Spring/Summer (great weather). Been on the lake, checked out the volcano, also checked out the town. Great place, check it out if you can.

I first came to Niseko in the summer and liked it so much that I decided to stay ;-)

It's not too hot so you can get outside and enjoy yourself. Camping, hiking, barbecues, rafting, driving around with the sunroof open, etc. Everybody's chilled out. It's the complete opposite to Tokyo! And as a bonus it's got all these great apartments that are mostly empty in the summer and can be rented at a reasonable cost (last year there were a lot of Fukushima evacuees in town).

It's well worth a visit in summer. You do need a car though.

As an aside, Mt Eniwa which GN mentioned was the site of the '72 Sapporo Olympics downhill race. They then pulled out all the infrastructure, replanted and returned the (national park) land to its natural state.