• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just trying to send positive chilly mojo there Jelly. You know.....

Powder day yesterday and snowing again in Niseko today.

I'm not quite sure why people can't just enjoy the snow and be happy for others who are trying to do so. What does it matter if Honshu or Hokkaido is better? There are undoubtedly positives to both places.

With that said, there's almost always somewhere in Hokkaido you can get really good snow at from December to March/April. There's been maybe a total of 7 days all season where I haven't been able to get "powder snow" somewhere. Most of the time when it's grim at Niseko, it requires a lot of hiking or a snowmobile, but nonetheless possible. Hokkaido is a great place with great snow and there's no denying that. I meet a lot of people who come here for their first time and the overwhelming majority had the time of their life. No place on earth has perfect conditions all the time, I think that should be rather obvious.

If you don't like Mike Pow's pictures, don't look at them. I, for one, enjoy his appreciation of the sport and the enthusiasm he shares with other people.

*Ski more, type less*

There's definitely a history of BS marketing from Niseko that continues to this day Mitch and I think certain people on here are just a little touchy about it. One of the issues is it being marketed as basically the powder capital of the world and this can lead to people being a little dissolutioned if they turn up for a week (especially outside of peak season) and it barely snows which of course does happen now and again. Personally though I think if you're stupid enough to be taken in by marketing and go to Niseko or any ski area in the world and think that you will always be blessed with awesome powder then you have no one but yourself to blame for such a ridiculous expectation.

Mike though is definitely not part of the BS marketing. He tells it how he experiences it. And besides SKI I doubt anyone else on this forum has ever had any problem with any of his reports. They're awesome and I for one am very thankful he puts in the time and effort. Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

Mitch you seem to have missed the point, which wasn't Hokkaido vs Nagano. But never mind.

And GoNative like I said previously I also enjoy the stoke.

I was simply making a point that some people - obviously not you - may think. That's all. It is a discussion 'Forum', after all.

:wave:

A tale of two cities, well prefectures at any rate:-

Yesterday at Hakuba Goryu - a full-on powder day! Very un-Spring-like.

Mick Rich_257.JPG

& this afternoon back down in Kanagawa - not-quite-in-full-bloom sakura. Very Spring-like.

Mick Rich_260.JPG

So to answer the OP, depends where you are! :D

A tale of two cities, well prefectures at any rate:-

Yesterday at Hakuba Goryu - a full-on powder day! Very un-Spring-like.

Mick%20Rich_257.JPG

& this afternoon back down in Kanagawa - not-quite-in-full-bloom sakura. Very Spring-like.

Mick%20Rich_260.JPG

So to answer the OP, depends where you are! :D

Wow that's early, the plum blossoms, which always bloom early have only just got into full bloom here, and the cherry blossoms always follow them a few weeks later! The buds on the trees have now started to develop!

Wow that's early, the plum blossoms, which always bloom early have only just got into full bloom here, and the cherry blossoms always follow them a few weeks later! The buds on the trees have now started to develop!

To be fair, only a few of the trees around here are looking like that one, and that wasn't yet in full bloom, so I reckon it'll be another few weeks before hanami gets in full-swing!