Not up here it's not.

It is absolutely dumping here in the Niseko Resort Area and is set to continue all week.

Skied Kiroro today expecting to have at most mid-boot on a sun crust. It was waist deep and over the head.

The top lifts at Niseko were on wind hold today.

Tomorrow will be epic

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just trying to send positive chilly mojo there Jelly. You know.....

Powder day yesterday and snowing again in Niseko today.

Yeah but you have hardly had amazing conditions all March.

Honshu last weekend had a good dump and some lovely conditions too.

You are sometimes increasingly sounding a bit borderline like a salesman, Mike. No offence intended.

Honshu last weekend had a good dump and some lovely conditions too.

You are sometimes increasingly sounding a bit borderline like a salesman, Mike. No offence intended.

None taken.

Behind with the daily additions to the SR thread.

I think you'll reappraise your response when you see the pics and vids.

No, don't think I will.

A friend of mine came back late last week and was pretty miserable about it.

Your photos and videos, as lovely as they are, won't change what he experienced being there.

And it won't change the fact that people were having great fun on resorts in Honshu places at said time.

:cheers: thanks guys!!

Muika, yeah they are staying in hotels.......my bro and his wife and son are staying at mines but the rest are spread between a couple of hotels in town. 3 friends are only here for a week then they go home and 2 aunts and uncles and a bunch of cousins are staying with me in Shonan for 1 week then flying free in Tokyo for another......I'd love to follow them around secretly and laugh at them walking around bewildered!! :lol:

Booking all hotels etc was pretty stressful, I can tell you!! :D

Posting duties has been built into the schedule of course!!

No, don't think I will.

A friend of mine came back late last week and was pretty miserable about it.

Your photos and videos, as lovely as they are, won't change what he experienced being there.

And it won't change the fact that people were having great fun on resorts in Honshu places at said time.

Amazing.

The title of this thread is "So, is that it then?"

I posted that on Hokkaido today and what looks likely to be the rest of the week it isn't the end of winter in case someone was looking for a quick powder fix and could drop everything and get up here.

This was never intended to be a Honshu v Hokkaido thread hijack and if conditions were great on Honshu last week, fantastic.

Sorry to hear that your mate had an average time up here but there was powder and sunshine and plenty of it last week. And I was resort skiing with no hiking.

Thanks for the props on my SR pics and vids.

And my motivation to post reports from Hokkaido is not to drum up business. It's to hopefully motivate someone to give Hokkaido a try and hopefullly get to experience what I experience in one of the best mountain environments I've had the the lucky pleasure of playing in.

Not quite sure what the "amazing" comment infers ( :confused: ) , but whatever.

:friend:

My friend just told me what he experienced after paying his cash and going up there.

He has no reason to lie about it.

He spends most of his time in Niigata and Nagano and his experience this season is that Niseko came below those two.

Don't fret, it's just his opinion based on his experneice.

You need equal stoke when talking about crappy days around here. "The crust was awesome". "The ice was epic". "the slush was deep" ;)

Keep up the good work MP. :thumbsup:

I love any day on the hill no matter where it is. Always better than a day at work, always.

No inference. Directed at your first reply to me informing people reading this thread that it's currently snowing in the Niseko Resort Area.

-----

My friend just told me what he experienced after paying his cash and going up there.

He spends most of his time in Niigata and Nagano and his experience this season is that Niseko came below those two.

I understand that you were passing on your friend's recent experience. I was just presenting my opinion and experiences at the same time, not from a number of years ago.

No inference. Directed at your first reply to me informing people reading this thread that it's currently snowing in the Niseko Resort Area.

Sorry, was that against the rules or something? :confused:

I understand that you were passing on your friend's recent experience. I was just presenting my opinion and experiences at the same time, not from a number of years ago.

:confused:

It was this season. Just came back. March 2012.

I think I said that.

Not at all SKI

Just trying to share information and stoke.

I'm well aware of when your friend was up here. My mistake, I was replying to the Niseko in April thread at the same time.

I guess what I should have written is

It's snowing heavily up in Niseko at the moment, and the forecaster's say it should continue all week.

There's full coverage top to bottom, left to right. The sun crust and creme brulee conditions off the groomed runs of this past weekend have been covered up and the layers have melded well.

If you've got time on your hands and want a powder fix then this place would be a good choice.

Start packing.

OK.

Top tip, while we are having the conversation. :friend:

Remember to continue telling us about things when they are not "awesome", "epic", "amazing", etc, etc, etc.

If you don't, people numb to it and it simply sounds like ongoing hype.

Especially when people come back with stories of less-than-good conditions.

:wave:

March was almost always my favourite month in Niseko. The snow could be incredible with hardly anyone else on the mountain. And the locals all started having a bit more time on their hands to get up and enjoy it together. Wish I was still there Mike!

OK.

Top tip, while we are having the conversation. :friend:

Remember to continue telling us about things when they are not "awesome", "epic", "amazing", etc, etc, etc.

If you don't, people numb to it and it simply sounds like ongoing hype.

Especially when people come back with stories of less-than-good conditions.

:wave:

I've tried to be as objective as possible in my SRs and will endeavour to continue that. If it's come across as cyclopean then that hasn't been my motivation. I've been openly critical of lots of the practices in this area and if the snow conditions, weather, grooming have been poor I've said as much.

My experiences this winter have been that for the vast majority of my 75 days of skiing on Hokkaido I've experienced soft snow conditions on and off the groomed runs.

I think the main difference has been if conditions have been average in the Niseko Resort Area I've skied elsewhere, primarily Kiroro where I'm a season pass holder. And more often than not the conditions have been better at other resorts.

That's the main reason I've done an Hokkaido SR and not a Niseko SR.