I've been to Myoko, Yuzawa, several places in Niigata actually over the years, loads of places in Nagano including Hakuba, several resorts in Gunma too, and of course here in Yamanashi, and well there is no comparison on snow amounts, Niigata is way above the other areas, they get crazy amounts of snow!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's time for those 2 pennies:-

I like Hakuba!! I'd never been there before Christmas but this season have managed to squeeze in 2 half days at Happo-One, a half-day apiece at Iwatake and Tsugaike Kogen, a day at Cortina, a day and a bit at Goryu and most of a day at 47. Not a great deal of time on the slopes I know, but enough to give me a flavour and each resort definitely has its own flavour, with different terrain, features and pros and cons. I guess you could say that about any resorts but here they are lined up for you to compare. I also liked the European feel to the place and the dramatic backdrop shown in Muika's photos certainly adds to that feeling. I had the most fun at Goryu/47 but the conditions were great and I was riding with a good friend who knew the mountain, so that's probably a little unfair. In any case, I'd definitely like to go back to Hakuba next season, so it gets a big thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That's true but if a resort has more to offer, for example, more terrain, interesting slackcountry, an efficient lift system, etc, etc, then you're likely to have more fun when the snow gods are shining on you.

• 1 month later...

I'm really interested in checking out Hakuba especially after seeing some of the images.

When would you guys say is the best time to visit? Obviously every season will be different I presume, but any time slots that are more likely than others to be sweet?