Over at Hakuba's big kicker, There was only one rider with a helmet, excluding myself, ONE ! !

It was ridiculous, seeing as there were several riders going off it, and the spins that they were attempting resulted in failure one out of every three attempts.

This jump is big, but these guys were going off it, seemingly without a care in the world,

besides fashion, anyway.

Pratically the only Japanese I've seen with helmets are the wives of friends. Otherwise, nobody.

Considering that Japanese people will put on helmets at roadworks where there's nothing overhead, and can hardly be restrained from putting them on to practice walking downstairs (fire-drill), I'm surprised that more of them don't think their bonces worth protecting when on the snow.

hmmm, I`ve seen a few wearing them - but when I think about it, it is certainly no less than the number of gaijins wearing them. I`d be reluctant to make any comparisons.

If I was (like most) Japanese and spent most of my time on relatively flat groomers, with no trees, few moguls, not much ice, and not hitting many jumps, I`d be tempted to not wear a helmet too. It just doesn`t seem that dangerous. I know it can be, but unlike steep gnarly treed runs with cliffbands, there aren`t too many "danger will robinson" signs flashing in my head when I`m on the groomers.

hem now - who prolly should wear a helmet

there r a few with the nog holders on.

i can only compare to nz too, where it is pretty infrequent.

47 certainly has more than its share of style masters, especially going big with baggy pants and dangley things, but theres always a helmet to be seen somewhere.

my body is complaining about my helmet. it seems my head now has a willingness to keep going when before it would have said "ouch, thats enough for one day"

Was at Niseko over the weekend.

I saw a couple of them on the alpine courses, but none on fresh powder bigcountry or the park.

but you know what? those helmet guys were FAST!!! haha... okay, maybe I am just slow.... I tried to race one of them down the alpine course, but came up short.