The one thing I can not understand and I noticed it alot at Niseko is that when you get off the lift's it's always a up hill.bad enough on skis. The boarder's must hate it a little earth work in summer would make it easy for every one to slide away and clear the areas. ;)

The one thing I can not understand and I noticed it alot at Niseko is that when you get off the lift's it's always a up hill.bad enough on skis. The boarder's must hate it a little earth work in summer would make it easy for every one to slide away and clear the areas. ;)

I am trying to think of any places that frustrated me like that...

ummm.. nope. not really.

Bit of an annoying incline at Hanazono between the 1st and 2nd lifts when you are heading down, if you are not pegging it and waxed up with a decent weight behind you - you aint gonna make it - but WAY more of those in Europe than I encountered in Japan (so far).

Little uphill trek to get to Miharashi - worth it if you are early enough to claim the freshies, but if that was lift accessed there wouldn't BE any freshies. And people incapable of riding it would try it much more often.

Hike to the peak - not that bad, and again as it should be to keep only the keen and those aware heading there.

The top of the Ace Quad is pretty flat to start if you are heading straight ahead, but that is ok... at least it gets people moving away from the lift ramp before they stop and chat about which way to go now...

The only one I can think of is at the top of hanazono 2 if you turn left to get to Holiday or the Waterfall gate it's uphill. The drag lift there is turned off, but's only 20m or so. I have been wondering why they didn't put the top of that lift just a little further up the slope...

However I feel sorry for the skiers because I can scoot faster than them uphill (but then they overtake me when I stop to buckle up)

Sorry I only ment when you get off the lift. Because they just about stop.Then are very flat or drop slightly the rise be fore you clear the area just found alot off people draging their board's and skiers crabing it try to get out of the area around the exit of the lift's. No real problem's with the area's you spoke about we tried to keep it pinned and I'm over weight problem solved ' :sj-lol:

Ah! So you are a Falls Creek rapid drop lover?! (Not sure how many lifts are actually like that at Falls, but I distinctly recall one that had my heart a-flutter - but I was little more than a beginner at the time).

I much prefer the demure departure from the lifts. I only experienced one lift in my 3 weeks in Europe that threw you off quickly, and that had a lot to do with the fact that it was a fast running fixed lift and needed to get people off the ramp QUICK. Problem was it caused crashes - skiers and boarders alike, and just ended up making the lift queue that much longer because it needed to stop start all the time. If they slowed down it would effectively transport the same number of people in the same time, but without the casualties. Am I the only one who could see that?! LOL

• Like 1

many moons ago as a liftie in the US of A. I got to do test runs on brand new Doppelmayr detachable. We cranked that bad boy up to 7m a sec (they usually run no faster than about 5.5 to extend the life of the l/ift parts) at 7m a sec we hit an E-stop, emergency stop - which is exactly that - an instantaneous slamming on of the brakes. At 7 m/s and hitting an e-stop causes the chair to swing near 90 degrees and get rocked violently back and forth and up and down - all the chairs on the haul rope. Pretty freaky - like a theme park ride. If you were leaning forward looking down at your boot say when it stopped violently like that, you could easily get catapulted out the chair. The lift maintenance guys would chew you out for hitting an E-stop in normal ops unless someone was in mortal danger as they are horrendoulsy stressful on the whole lift apparatus.

p.s if the lift ever starts rolling backwards? then jump off or prepare to meet your maker!