Ever noticed anything like this?

At a skijo. Some of the lifts have safety bars, and they have all those announcements as you get on the lift to encourage you to use them for your safety - and the lift dudes even ask you to put them down.

Then you get on the next lift, just 50m away at the same ski resort, and there isn't even a safety bar on the lift.

And this lift seems potentially much more dangerous as it's actually 'going down' in parts. The one yesterday at Joetsu Kokusai does anyway.

What, my safety not important on this lift?

Seems so inconsistent.

Are there no regulations re: safety bars?

Regulations in Japan?? :lol:

I'm pretty sure they only ever make 'recommendations'. I have noticed this at quite a few places. There may be an assumption that people riding lifts to advanced runs are more experienced lift riders and don't need the bars... It is strange though!

Heh I noticed this too, safety bar on the banzai chairlift at niseko village which is pretty short and pretty tame then you get up the wonderland single chair at the very top and you're swinging in the wind with no bar.

I just held on tighter and hoped for the best :)

Haha....like at Happo. Take the Sakka quad and they can be pushy about the safety bar. That quad connects up with the Skyline pair which swings in the wind with no safety bar. No logic at all.

I really hate it when the lift has a safety bar and the people riding with you have such a hard-on to get that bar down ASAP....I feel like screaming ...JUST ****ing RELAX!!

What difference does detachable or non detachable make?

:confused:

Detachable lifts run faster

Let me elaborate.

Ever had that *Sweet Jesus that chair almost cut me off at the knees, swoop like pick up*?

Thats a non detachable or fixed lift. It goes up the mountain at the same speed that it picks you up and drops you off.

However the nice slow quad that collects you demurely but rockets you up the mountain - that is detachable.

It detaches from the high speed cables at pick up and drop off and just runs on the slower speed, then reattaches afterwards.

Because it runs fast. It needs a safety bar. And it is best practice now since they have been constructing them.

Haha....like at Happo. Take the Sakka quad and they can be pushy about the safety bar. That quad connects up with the Skyline pair which swings in the wind with no safety bar. No logic at all.

I really hate it when the lift has a safety bar and the people riding with you have such a hard-on to get that bar down ASAP....I feel like screaming ...JUST ****ing RELAX!!

Said it before. Will say it again.

My favourite part about wearing a helmet is all the head eggs I DONT have when some moron donks the safety bar on while people are still loading.

Said it before. Will say it again.

My favourite part about wearing a helmet is all the head eggs I DONT have when some moron donks the safety bar on while people are still loading.

Your head's 50% bigger with a helmet on. You get donked on the helmet because of the helmet I reckon.

but having said that, people often don't give you enough time to get properly seated before they are pulling the bar down, if you are still leaning forward, it will hit you in the head. I like it when people say "bar" right before they pull it down, that at least gives you a chance.

:lol:

Not always.

Joetsu Kokusai, Maiko, Iwappara, Ishiuchi, Gala, Kandatsu, Hakkai..... Not shared a lift yet, other thank with the person I am with on about half of those times.

:D Actually when I went up to Kandatsu before Xmas, it was like that. I wish I could ride more mid-week, because the Yuzawa resorts where I usually go are just not busy. Last year at Kagura, late March (albeit after the quake)......it was like my own personal ski resort

What difference does detachable or non detachable make?

:confused:

Detachable lifts run faster

Let me elaborate.

Ever had that *Sweet Jesus that chair almost cut me off at the knees, swoop like pick up*?

Thats a non detachable or fixed lift. It goes up the mountain at the same speed that it picks you up and drops you off.

However the nice slow quad that collects you demurely but rockets you up the mountain - that is detachable.

It detaches from the high speed cables at pick up and drop off and just runs on the slower speed, then reattaches afterwards.

Because it runs fast. It needs a safety bar. And it is best practice now since they have been constructing them.

Naruhodo, so desu ne.