They have fenced off the bit of road leading to the creek that the guy walked down now, looking at it it's kind of easy to see how if you were really drunk it would look like the way to Izumikyo. Not sure what else can be really done, drunk people will do stupid things, I walked home from Bills to Izumikyo in a T-shirt on New years because some tourist had taken my jacket, not really much I could do, but it was still not the best idea.

Without going all nanny state, this is an issue worthy of discussion.

I wonder if the latest fellow was aware of the circumstances of Scotts death?

The old 'information is power' rhetoric holds true in these circumstances.

I have slipped on ice near that bit of water stone cold sober in years gone by, didn't actually fall let alone slip into the water, but it raises your awareness.

Remembering the tragic evolution of Scotts demise, I always make sure that we stay in pairs when we are drinking. Even the guys have had me ram that message down their throats - we do not leave a man behind. I could hardly be angry at Papabear when he waltzed in at 3.30am a few weeks back and I saw the condition of our mate!! He had no choice but to stay and help him find his way home.

But if you were aware that lives had been lost on the walk home when heavily intoxicated in that particular area, and you knew you had to walk past that area...surely you would change your drinking plan a bit. Pair up, grab a cab, or go home a bit less intoxicated and finish the job once you got to your lodge.

I can't help but think this was a case of not knowing, not realising and if he had known perhaps disaster could have been averted.

Fences, warning signs, or education. I don't know whether any have a valid place here or not, but I would think something could be done to improve the outcomes

MB I don't think being aware would make a whole lot of difference. People do silly things when they're drunk. Hell I literally can't remember the amount of times I've stumbled, damn near crawled home after a big night of nomi hodai and karaoke through knee deep snow and blizzard conditions. I'm completely aware of the dangers but hey I had to get home and there was no other way to do it other than walk (taxis shut down for a few hours overnight in Kutchan) and no one else I went out with lived close by,

We walked thru this area heading to Lawson's afew day's before.I did not even know there was a river there.Untill we put two and two together when they where retriving the poor fellow. rip.

I wouldn't exactly call it a river. Even in Spring you can easily hop across from one bank to the other.

People aroud town said he fell in a river did not go and investigate for my self.