Feedback request time! Help Bob! Places to Stay

• SnowJapan Admin

Bob (the tech dude) is hoping for a bit of help and feedback.

(Hopefully in time for) next season, there will be some big changes made to the main site.

One of the areas getting a change will be the Places to Stay section:

http://www.snowjapan...otel/index.html

We are already working on some ideas and plans, but thought it would be good to get a bit of feedback from people who are interested in these accommodation listings.

What we would particularly like to have feedback on is --- is there any more information for an accommodation that you think would improve the pages? What do you think would be a good addition in terms of info for a listing?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with both of those.

I know they are shown on a map, but perhaps some more definitive info on how close they are to slopes would be a good nugget of into to have on each page.

it may be a lot of work. but reviews of the places by members who have stayed there would be a great help.

Some advertiserrs may not like this though.

Having internet wifi is now essential. That would be a must have.

please please please think of the poor single dudes who are just looking for a place to kip and dont care about it being a pokey hole. Dorms are fine. But no matter what im looking at, outside of the main two international resorts, its always 7k plus with at leats two people staying. Dorm accommodation is pretty much my bread and butter, i know you can only work with what youve got, but the more of these listings the happier i (and arguably a million bogans) am.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks everyone, all helps, even if only to backup ideas we have thought through already.

Got it, ippy. Will do what we can in that respect.

What we are looking for re: feedback specifically, really, is stuff that we can control ourselves - that is, the information that is presented on each of the listing pages that are on the site. And what information for each listing would improve it.

If that makes sense.

:friend:

youll have to excuse me, im slightly cut at the moment :) Okay, um, you already kinda have the basics. You cover the main types, what you might want though is something for your users to throw in their recommendations and add to the database so to speak. Would that help? Keep it off your main listings, but keep it important enough that people are also going to see it when theyre looking at the accommodations page. Basically take the forum chatter and lead it gently that a way (like you do with the reviews and the pictures) to build up a more extensive database of super secret user researched information.

ah sorry, i mean instead of just having the listings as they are, also have a listings section for users to submit details on accommodation options they found outside the site. Dont obligate them to write a review of it, but obviously some details of the particular site where they found it might be nice. :)

• SnowJapan Admin

I don't think that kind of thing will be happening, ippy.

Like I said, we are really most interested in what other info people think would be useful additions for listings on the site at the moment.

Thanks.

:friend:

No smoking rooms?

Totally no smoking?

I would be inclined to choose a place that was a smoking ban zone.

I just hate checking into a room that has very clearly had smokers in doing their stuff before me.

Haha that reminds me of Maiko the other day.

Up in the top Dome restaurant they have a Smoking Room. Tiny little room it is. When we went there were about 25 people stuggling to fit in this tiny little space there, all puffing away.

It looked pretty pathetic. Should have taken a photo.

I agree with that though, I'd choose a no smoking place.

Perhaps if more of us express a desire for non-smoking places, it will show the hoteliers that it's an important thing.

I personally have to give a big thank you/well done to Jalen ski bar, and Kamoshka nepalese restaurant in Ichinose for going totally non-smoking.

Looking at some of the existing listings, although things like non-smoking, wi-fi, distance to ski resort, etc are sometimes mentioned in various sections (Room Information, Other Facilities, Travel Details, for example), I guess it's currently up to the accommodation owners what they say , so having specific categories (ie Smoking or Non-smoking? Wi-fi available? Pets allowed?, etc) would give SJ more control and the reader more info.

Well for me when I search for a place, I consider the following information :

Price

Proximity to the ski-jo that I want to go to.

Access by car distance from nearest IC

For others coming by train access / distance from the station as well as train time tables would be handy information

Parking availability and space (I stayed at Myoko a couple of years ago and all they had is a shitty little car park next to the hotel, If I had of had the car I got now there is no way I could have parked there)

If can bring pets

Whether they offer accommodation and ticket set discounts, etc (Not a problem for us living here as we can easily call and check, but for those over seas, calling is not so easy)

Smoking or non smoking rooms / establishment

For some if the accommodation has WI/FI! I'm not bothered as I got a smart phone and can easily access my email and the internet, but for many they would like to know.

What food does the accommodation provide

Bathing facilities

Type of room (If people are like me and very fussy about there bed, pillows etc they may like to know the type of room that they can expect)

• SnowJapan Admin

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is a question to consider on the subject of 'price ranges' - what do you think would be a good kind of scale to use for price ranges?

A cost number? ie. 5000-7000 yen, etc

Or a descriptions? ie. budget etc

And how would you like to see that working when some places are room-only while others by default include evening meal and breakfast? And some places charge less if there are more in a room?

Thanks

Perhaps some boundaries say <5000, <10,000, <15,000 etc...

Descriptions could be based on a series of symbols that are coloured in, or dulled out, or boxes that are ticked in, not ticked depending on what is available.

Getting the hotel to choose their basic option ie with meal / without meal would be best.