In these modern days of innovation it seems that with the turn of each year there is an expectation of an array of new technologies to be introduced.

Does anyone else find it odd that the gondola is still being used? Is there no genius mind at work out there trying to come up with a faster solution to get a group of powder seekers up a mountain and then boast it as the fastest lift system in the worldwide?

I am far from coming up with any inventions myself and perhaps am just out of touch as to how many advances have taken place in the snow industry but would love to hear your input and see some lists of innovations from the last 20-30 years.

I thought this was kinda rad so thought I would post the link to other snow lovers. The article does not go too far in depth but I thought the idea was an interesting approach to an alternative type of ski lift. Enjoy!!

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/32612/tiny%20swiss%20town%20builds%20the%20worlds%20first%20solar-powered%20ski%20lift/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well with my experience learning on my home slopes in Scotland, they are always closed due to high winds......so why not equip each rider with a sail (or bin bag......it IS Scotland and cheapness rules) and rig up a wind power uplift!

Well have to say the lift technology really hasn't changed much since the old days, one awesome system would be to make like a tunnel lift, where groups of people could be shunted up a mountain in the comfort of a tunnel, then wind would not be an issue, no swinging lifts to fall from either.

Just a silly futuristic idea, but the sort of thing I would probably attempt to build if I owned a ski resort.

Well I was going to say that a solar powered lift is pretty useless because when you WANT to use it - fresh pow falling - it won't be working. But, damn the Swiss! They thought of that and had it connected to the grid with a feed in as well!!! But a drag lift?! God I HATE drag lifts!

I like all the alternatives to standard chairs and gondola's.

I even like some of the OLD rattlers.

I reckon some of you guys will have been on way more lift types than me, but my list is getting longer and longer.

* Magic Carpet/Travelator

* Rope Tow with bar to grab hold of

* Rope Tow with just the rope

* Single person Poma (few variations on the theme)

* Single person J Bar

* Two person T Bar.

* Single Tea Tray Chair

* Pairs: Two separate seats with safety chain, bench seat for two with and without safety bar, fixed and detached

* Triple: With and without hoods, one with a travelator/magic carpet to get on. Fixed and Detached.

* Quads: with and without hoods, with and without magic carpets to get on. Fixed and Detached.

* 6 Packs: with and without hood, one with a magic carpet, all detached.

* 8 Pack: with a hood, detached.

* Gondola: 4 person seated, 4 person standing, 4 person divided into 2x2 cabins, 6 person seated and standing, 8 person seated and standing. Some with one section, some with more elbows and 'mid'-stations than I care the recall.

* Funicular: Awesome invention, especially when it tunnels through the mountain and there is absolutely no risk of wind hold or snow hold.

* Cog Railway: :) Another piece of brilliance.

* Cable Cars/Ropeways/Aerial Tramways: In various capacities. Cramming into these always makes me think of the iconic train platform dude pushing people onto the trains in peak hour with white gloves.

There are a few delights I have yet to sample. Drag Lifts that take more than two people for a start - I hear they are pretty scary. And nutcracker tows...I don't think I even want to WATCH anyone use one of those!

since we are wishing for large advancements, I'm wanting the teleportation "lift"....step into the gate at the bottom and then you magically step out at the top
Stargate!

Can we have one that we can dial in a location anywhere in the world please?

Be awesome!

Live in Perth, get an itch to slide and just 'leap' fully kitted up to Rusutsu. Visibility not that good, then when you get to the bottom you can leap to Grindelwald where the forecast says it is clear skies and fast running groomers. Only trouble would be everyone 'leaping' to wherever there has been a dumpage followed by blue skies - tracked out in seconds!

since we are wishing for large advancements, I'm wanting the teleportation "lift"....step into the gate at the bottom and then you magically step out at the top

Sod that, I want to be able to step inside of it in my house, then magically appear at the top of the most bottomless place in Japan. :D

I don't know if I would trust that Stargate. Don't people often get lost in it, and/or end up in some evil place where there's lots of baddies with crinkly forehead prosthetics?

;)

I don't know if I would trust that Stargate. Don't people often get lost in it, and/or end up in some evil place where there's lots of baddies with crinkly forehead prosthetics?

;)

Hakuba you mean? ;)

Who needs these things? Naked and gnarly is surely the way to go! Just to prove that gnarliness!

Mamabear ---> 8 Pack: with a hood, detached??

Yep. I thought it was a 6 seater...there was only 6 electronic ticket gates IIRC, but when we loaded 6 on there was a lot of room...realised it was actually capable of 8.

Unlikely to ever load 8 consistently though, coz the lifties don't seem to come out of their huts at all in Switzerland, and it goes off with a massive queue and two people on it!

Had the ability to lower the hood/bubble - but we only did that once, was such nice weather for the most part. And was a detachable lift, so fairly flew up the mountain, but picked you up at a respectable speed instead of scooping you up and off your feet.

ohh edit to add: It had padded cushion seats and back as well, and the hood automatically came down for the downhill journey so that your seat remained snow free when it arrived to collect you (and the hood auto lifted).

Interesting that I don't think I came across a fixed chair at all on the Swiss size of the mountain, but on the Italian side - most were fixed, many with the magic carpets to get on first, then get scooped up. I used to hate those magic carpet loadings as much as drag lifts, but I did so many of them in Europe this last trip that they don't really worry me anymore.

Zermatt. I tried to look it up, found some pics of the type of lift, but not the actual one. There is a list, like a register of them, but it wasn't on there...but the list didn't seem to have been updated in a few years.

I was actually surprised by how FEW pairs lifts there were n Europe, and even Quads were less numerous than expected. Lots and lots of sixes!

There is an 8 lift at Perisher. I have never actually used it. Magic carpet loading, and whenever I have been there FULLY loaded with an 20 minute queue. Didn't appeal to me at the time, even a drag lift appeals more than that!

Yes, not sure about an 8 person chair. The 6 person chairs are bad enough, if one person goes down, everyone topples like dominoes. I have seen some interesting pile ups when the lifties haven't been quick enough to stop the lift and 2 more chairs unload when there are 4 people down blocking everyones path at the top of the lift. Amusing to watch, not so fun to be a part of!

This is the type I am talking about. Lovely padded seats (ours were blue), safety bar, plus option for the hood to go down.

8-CLD-B_Familienbahn_Gampen_023_2(5).jpg

Perishers 8 (with 7 unloading)

070814Tu-P1010152-Perisher-Village8-RSmith.jpg

Surfarther, I hear ya about the domino stacks.

I was appalled by the lack of action of the lifties in Europe. They allowed the lifts to run and run with people blocking the unloading ramp all the time!

I am still, after all these years, a nervous unloader. I hate it when people fall getting off the lift in front of me.

Had one day when myself and my friend gave the liftie a very clear 'wtf' of arms and facial expressions as we were pulling in when there was 7 people down on the ramp, it was a quad lift that was running fast due to wind and visibility closures on the rest of the mountain and everyone wanting this one - and it was a fixed lift, so literally THREW people off like a slingshot. He stopped it then.

Thankfully I only got taken out by one 'rather silly out of control snowboarder' getting off a lift in the entire 3 weeks. That was on the last day - and it was Papabear. He swears I stopped in his path ;) Our mates just LOLed.

I haven´t been on a 8er yet. It´s not that common ..But most are 6er and quads,

There´s a local run that has 2quads, 1 single that has no foot rest, and 12 T- bars.

I like this resort myself, but I really wish they put a padded T bar. They are really designed for skiers in mind.

btw, I find it is more stable and easier to ride a T bar with a partner. maybe because we are lightweight. Do you find that. or like to ride it yourself?

On a board MUCH better in pairs, unless your partner stacks it and takes you out. It is more stable.

Tip to the new...grab a skier and go up with them. So stable.

Have I said it often enough in this thread how much I hate drag lifts.?

I do.

I really really do.

Especially the LONG long LONG ones that drag you up a rather steep incline, and then go DOWNHILL before going back up again. What is with that! Argh! Thinking about the Poma up to the top of Valtourneche here, horrid thing! And it is the only way back from Valtourneche into Cervinia or Zermatt via Cervinia. A long lonely cold and stressy trip worried about falling off and facing it again the whole way up. LOL