I finally cracked in January and got a D7000. It was s/h from Map Camera who give you a six month guarantee. It looks like the price of the D7000 has actually gone up since the D7100 was announced.

I've not had much chance to use it yet but it seems pretty good. I took some photos at my daughter's school ski race and the AF did really well. If I have a complaint, it's that the grip is a weird shape. It's quite uncomfortable compared to the D70 or D40.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

The kit ones off the D40, so 18-55 (non VR) and 55-200VR and the Sigma 30 1.4

I bought an old Tamron 17-50 2.8 second hand at the same time as the D7000 but I managed to break it, I think by rotating the zoom with the lock on. It was Sunday morning and I was half asleep at the time. I think I could have got it working again after a fashion, but I broke it even more by dismantling the mount bit.

The 17-50 was quite nice but I've still got a bright short prime and temptation has switched to a longer bright zoom. Maybe Tokina's 50-135 2.8 or an old Nikkor 80-200 2.8.

Looks interesting.

No AA filter.

I have not noticed any problems with the lack of the filter in my d800e.

AA filter?? Que?

I use a Canon 60D with kit lenses and a few others I steal from +1 ;) All have a UV filter simply to protect the front element of the lens.

Edited by JA
The D800E is a specialized version which uses a new optical anti-aliasing filter with no low pass filter effect (no blurring) to obtain the sharpest images possible. Nikon claims that possible aliasing effects (moiré) can be lessened by software-processing in camera or external programs like Nikon´s Capture NX2. Reviewers have pointed out that whilst increased moire is difficult to resolve in post-processing, it is relatively easy to combat while photo-taking (such as by changing the angle, aperture or position). Furthermore, moire is rarely found in photos (besides man-made, repeated patterns such as in architecture). Hence, most recommend the D800E, as the slight increase in moire brings about a noticeable improvement in optical resolution.

Ah...Ha! internal, so likely that the D7100 has one, they just didn't bother to say so. But a quick google says NO!

:wakaranai:

Things may have changed in the year, but at the time the D800E not having that was a big deal.

I think most consumer cameras were just expected to have one, and it was not having it that was the attention point.

JA, lose the kit lenses. Go for some L's.

Gotsum! ATM they's in +1's work bag (at work, strangely) so I cannot check them. We share/swap lenses all the time.

In my bag I have EFS 60 f/2.8, EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM and a MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro lens.

Also have 400D & 300D bodies with the kit lenses (retained them for resale later) as backup bods. +1 carries a 7D with a 600D body as backup.

This 80-400mm has peaked my interest so only just started reading up on camera stuff again!

I might get one if the coffee cup people do one. It looks just my size!

:lol:

I bet the 70-200mm I have is better! :p

I have no plans to buy it, griller , just interested to see what it's like. I would like to have 400mm at my disposal at times though.

Mmm, lenses!

It sounds like the new D7100 has a built in 1.3x mode, i.e., a crop on an already cropped sensor, that is still 15 megapixels with no AA filter. Cropping has always been possible in Photoshop etc. but by putting it in the camera, Nikon are basically admitting its a legit thing to do. Anyway, with that mode, a 200mm lens has 400mm equivalent of reach, making the decision of which lenses to buy even more confusing. A 2x crop is two stops, so the trinity lens with 2.8 at 200mm will be the same as this new lens with 5.6 at 400mm anyway.

It looks like the D7100 will have very high IQ. It's also got a high-end AF system. The D600 has the old D7000 one.

The main gripe seems to be that they've upped the file size without increasing the buffer, so it'll fill up in no time if you shoot in burst mode. It's got folks saying there must still be the fabled D400 to come!

• 2 months later...