• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Going to buy a camera in December, and looking at a Nikon again, mainly due to the lens I already have supporting the nikon bracket.

Looking at a mid-range camera, after using the D40 for 5 years I am ready for a step up, although the full-frame mode would be a welcome addition.

Any thoughts?

Going to buy a camera in December, and looking at a Nikon again, mainly due to the lens I already have supporting the nikon bracket.

Looking at a mid-range camera, after using the D40 for 5 years I am ready for a step up, although the full-frame mode would be a welcome addition.

Any thoughts?

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies.

With Nikon, cheapest full frame is the 600 and a 50 1.8 prime to get started. That's 20 man right there. If you don't mind s/h, D700 body is 95,000 second hand and built like an armoured car (i.e., one rank below a tank). It won't shoot video.

You have a boy, don't you, so your missus at least will want a zoom for undokais etc. On dx, the 55-200 super cheapo kit zoom is actually pretty good, has vr, and is sharp at the long end. A comparable zoom on full frame, the 70-300 VR is 5 man new. Once you go full frame, the cost of lenses increases sharply.

If you have the budget and want to go very wide, shallow depth of field, and/or mad crazy resolution, full frame is definitely the way to go. Smaller sensors just can't match it. For other uses, the difference is a lot less and there are cost and size advantages.

At present, there is a big hole in the Nikon lineup between the D600 @ 2000usd and the D3200 @ 500usd. All their cameras in that price range are at least two years old. There are a lot of frustrated dx users by the sounds.

• Like 1

Yes Nikon seem to really want people to get onto FX.

I must admit I wasn't really considering it until I kept on waiting and waiting for the D400 and only when I realised that it wasn't going to happen and saw the D800 was when I started looking it all up. Glad I did now of course.

I certainly wouldn't be using DX lenses on my D800 though.

I was shooting only JPG as well until not that long ago. Hazukashii!

I don't know what lens you have Rob, but I was really surprised at how much I could sell my DX lenses for. Not enough to cover a quality FX lens of course but still much more than I anticipated. I was thinking "who is this dude buying this for so much", almost felt bad about it.

But it made me realise that buying the quality gear is.... an investment. Ahem. That's what I told the lady anyway. :lol:

What sort of budget Man?

I must say though, since spring when I was kitting myself up I have really not given much time to camera news.

Am looking at about 100,000yen for a decent body.

Mr. Wiggles - thanks for the heads up. Very informative. :D

The D7000 is a fine camera (DX) and now goes for just over 70,000 yen on amazon.

Nikonrumors dude seems to think "DX is not dead yet".

How about new Nikon DX cameras (D300s, D7000 replacements)? With the latest rumors about a new Canon APS-C DSLR camera coming in early 2013, I think it is safe to assume that Nikon's announcement will not be far off. After the PDN Photo Plus Expo in New York at the end of this month (scheduled to start right after Nikon's announcement on October 24th), two other major shows are coming in early 2013 (CES+PMA in Las Vegas and CP+ show in Japan) - there is a very good chance that we may see some new DX products by then. DX format is not dead yet.

Perhaps the D400 is going to eventually appear after all.

Yeah, they definitely need to make a high-quality camera in the $1000/1000 euros/10 man range. There will be a lot of demand there.

The D7000 is great value now, but the vexing one is that the cheaper D3200 has higher image quality. That's the one they make for "soccer moms".

We've got a D40 but hardly use it now we have a high-end, "poor man's Leica" compact called a Fuji X100. It has a dx sensor and high image quality, but weighs only 440g and is so small and convenient that we take it everywhere. That means we end up taking photos in places where we would never take a slr. For recording our kids growing up, its fantastic. Our D40 has the 55-200 (80 something to 300 equiv) stuck on it now and only gets taken out when we need a zoom, usually when the kids are appearing at something.

If you're at a camera shop sometime, take at a look at the high end compacts. Aside from Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic make some great ones, with maybe the Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-E1 out next month the pick. The existence of them makes Nikon's failure to release an updated enthusiast dx camera all the more baffling.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the to-be-announced Nikon might be D5200.

Not the D400 then?

-----

The new Nikon D5200 will have slightly different specs than the D3200:

•It will use the same 24MP DX-format CMOS sensor

•EXPEED 3 processor (same as in the D3200)

•ISO range: 100-6,400 (expandable up to 25,600, D3200 could go only up to 12,800)

•2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor (same as the D600, the D3200 had a 420 pixel RGB sensor)

•Continuous shooting speed: 5fps (the D3200 could do only 4 fps)

•Vari-angle LCD screen (3", 921k dots)

Sounds pretty good. Also good to know they are getting back on track with releases after the Thai floods and the Tohoku disaster.

If it's like the D3200, it will be released with some outrageous early adopter premium in Japan. That one started at 85,000 yen for the kit back in April, a full 50% over the initial US Amazon price, but has since fallen to 53,000 yen, about the same as $600 or so it goes for now in the US.

Just as well you didn't wait for the D400 muika!

The 5200 has been announced properly now and has some nifty specs.

The price for the body is 720USD or 80,000 yen (nearly 50% more) at Kitamura. Japanese rrp is even more.

If MiJ is still there, what lenses/other Nikon gear do you have?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I would just share this. The yophoto dudes have a 25% off their beautiful photo books offer going until 14th Feb.

I was going to make another book in March or April but think I'll get to work on that and take advantage of this. Think I've got enough for an Autumn/Winter edition.

25% is a decent chunk on 4 books at 60 quid each. 4 for 3 even!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Nikon D7100 specs:

•24.1MP CMOS sensor

•6fps

•No AA filter (similar to the D800E)

•51 AF point, 15 cross-type

•Built-in HDR function

•2016-pixel RGB sensor

•3.2" 1,229k dots LCD screen

•Dual SD card slots

•EXPEED 3 processor