Sorry been busy with work unfortunately.

But very pleased with the camera.

I feel like I have started a journey learning how to make proper good photos.

Getting my fuji camera and, inspired by it, the off camera lighting gear has changed what "sharp" and "good portrait" mean to me. I'm much more conscious of what I'm doing now. It's a bit crap that it took a new camera to do it, because more determination and better technique with my old gear would have produced much better results too, but maybe that's just the way it is.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

It's fun learning isn't it. I took a few hours out this afternoon and went out to a pretty and secluded spot to do some 写真 勉強

Learnt a few things I think. Lovely day today, sunny blue sky lots of fluffy clouds.

A week or so ago I ordered a hard-back photobook from a company called Yophoto, in the UK.

You need to download their software, and drag in your photos and then upload it.

Today it arrived and I am very impressed.

Really good quality book and the photos look pretty amazing. 30cm x 30cm.

50 photos. Mostly with the new camera, a few winter ones from the D300 which also look fantastic.

It is not cheap, but you can tell - quality product.

Very pleased with it and I'm sure I'll be making some more.

:dance:

I had a look and that looks like the real deal. My missus made a Japanese one from holiday snaps last year and while its a cute little memento thingy, the print quality was nothing special. It was 3000 yen for a Japanese novel sized book.

Do they give you VAT off?

Once you get over 10MP on a decent camera, there is plenty of scope for crop to zoom.

but ONLY if the MP are real MP and not interpolated.

The crucial thing is the size and resolution of the sensor - which is why the camera phones are not a viable alternative for serious photography!

I had a look and that looks like the real deal. My missus made a Japanese one from holiday snaps last year and while its a cute little memento thingy, the print quality was nothing special. It was 3000 yen for a Japanese novel sized book.

Do they give you VAT off?

No VAT on books, so no.

But I was lucky to order when they were doing a Queenie Jubillee special and got 2 for 1. :dance:

I have used Vistaprint until now to do some calendars.

They are pretty decent and when on offer quite cheap, so no complaints.

This book though - different level. Top quality stuff. Coffee table book kind of thing and the photos are looking stunning, all those shiny megapixels doing their job! :thumbsup:

I think I'll be making numerous of these books each year.

Upload decent photos and I doubt you will be disappointed. Quite pricey when you don't get 2 for 1, but still like I said it is quality stuff so it's not something to complain about.

I kept my photos "not full page" so there is plenty of (black background) space on the sides. It looks good like that I think.

Good luck!

Its good to have a company you can trust. One of the reasons I keep saying I want a big printer is that I don't trust Kitamura etc. to get them right. If you look at what they charge for big prints and the exchange rate, I don't think Yophoto is so expensive.

My folks won't be fussy about quality when it comes to the kids photos, but I hope my screen is not that far out. Once you get onto the subject of calibration, there goes more money.

I get the impression that these guys are all about quality.

I found the software a bit kind of clunky, but in the end the product was excellent.

I showed someone last night and they thought it was some official photo travel book that I had bought.

Nice compliment to the quality of the product ( the photos are pretty decent too I reckon ;) ).

• 2 weeks later...

That is a biggie!

If I hadn't made the switch, I would probably have been very keen on getting that as much as I used the 18-200mm.

Not read any reviews yet though.

Interesting looking back on photos from last year etc, I can really see a big difference in the quality of the images.

They don't seem as sharp as they used to.

Good to hear you can see the difference.

I suppose it might be one of those things where you only realise when you get something better.

I'm sort of tempted but holding off on a decision a bit longer, perhaps until after summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to report. Saw muikabochi's photo book when I was over there last week.

Top quality.

Could be put on a shelf and sold.

Sounds not cheap but if you have quality photos and want to make a book I would highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like Nikon's new entry-level full-frame camera, the D600, will be in the shops soon.

The initial price on kakaku is 196,000, so only 20% less than the current street price of the D800 which is notably higher spec'ed.

We'll have to wait and see the reviews for an idea of how good it is, but that price will come down pretty quick I reckon. The US price is $2100, so it should hit 16 man or close in a few months.

There is no obvious Nikon camera to buy for folks with 10 man, so maybe something there soon too.