• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

:thumbsup:

I got good news today, well yesterday.

I should have my new camera by Wednesday. :dance:

To celebrate, I have got the Lee filter system + neutral density grad filter (soft) kit.

Friend of mine uses that and has been recommending it for ages. After all I got the camera at pre-increase price!

Congratulations!

I didn't know about the Lee system but it looks cool. Slidable/rotatable grad filters make a lot of sense. NDs also let you shoot at say F2 on a sunny day at a shutter speed your camera can synch a flash to. So you can have fill flash and a shallow depth of field. No flash on a very sunny day usually means some combination of shadows on faces and people with squinting eyes.

More rumours of the D600 which sounds pretty good. Whether they will actually make more than one or two dozen a week remains to be seen!

Great news Criz!

And great buy with the Lee filters too.

I have been reading about that a while now, and think it would be a great addition, it's on my list.

Actually could really have done with it yesterday I took a fair few photos at Daigenta that had blown out skies, I think it would have worked a treat.

Have you seen The Big Stopper as well, that one looks cool!

Nice one Criz, you must be excited.

Those filters look interesting. And expensive! Not sure I would want the extra fuss that seems involed.

I've just got to admit I can make do without getting to that level.

Thats the thing that puts me off about those.

Can't say I'm keen on all the hassles, I'm not even keen on having to change lenses.

But that hassle is unavoidable.

Some people seem to like a slow and considered approach to photography. From videos, some landscape folks can get great photos in situations where I can see nothing.

I'm still having fun playing with my flashes off camera. Here's my first go at macro, just on an azalea next to the house.

I was surprised how easy it is to take this kind of photo. It was taken at three in the afternoon. The black is just from underexposure.

8362141.jpg

Nice flower shot.

And absolutely, I agree.

It's one thing that I intend to get used to doing more of actually.

My photos are almost always taken when 'out sightseeing', but I am going to give myself some days out on my own just dedicated to taking shots I think, slowing it down.

It will probably be a very good learning process, as well as getting more used to the gear and a more considered approach.

Have fun with your new camera tomorrow Criz!

I'm dying for a macro lens for my Nikon D80. Taking pictures of my pens is a pain and very uninspiring without one. EDIT...yes I did SAY PENS...for all yous smartypants.. :p

Also, I'd love to get a snoot. Some pretty amazing shots can be had for not that much invested.

linky.. http://www.garyfonge...ml#.T8RrDL9g2eF

Damn beat me to it with your edit.

I was concocting a weiner themed response.

:doh:

As Morrissey said at the Hacienda though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF13--6zrdw

There were effortlessly brilliant back then.

Sadly Mozzers a bit of a dick now.

(There's another weiner theme in there!)

Also, I'd love to get a snoot. Some pretty amazing shots can be had for not that much invested.

linky.. http://www.garyfonge...ml#.T8RrDL9g2eF

If you can make your own guitars, I'm sure you could make something similar. I made a flash-head sized grid for one of my flashes last week. I used corrugated black plastic (called プラ段 "pura-dan" from plastic danboru) you can buy at the home center. Some folks use black straws bundled together.

There are loads of different diy flash modifiers out there so google is your friend. I might have a go at a one called the David Tejada beauty dish. It uses a 100 yen planter and a CD-R box.

For a simple snoot, you can just roll a piece of black paper into a tube. The grid itself is not that important. I think the most important thing is for the flash you stick it on to be off camera.

What lens did you use Mr Wiggles?

I have had the Nikkor 105mm micro for a few years but not used it as much as I should. Very nice lens.

That's just my Fuji X100 with the fixed lens. 23mm on a dx sensor, so 35mm equivalent for field of view, but optically only 23mm so there'll be a lot of barrel distortion in there at such a close focusing distance. It can be fixed to an extent with a program like PTLens or with a profile in the Adobe programs. Basically if the flower was someone's nose, it would look really bad.

I fired the flash off camera with Cactus V5 triggers from HK.

Have fun with your new camera tomorrow Criz!

Hope so! Tomorrow!

:dance:

Actually, tomorrow is today. If that makes any sense. 1:25am here.

Hope it is all ok there.

I got my 70-200mm yesterday.

Can you guess which it is, and which is the flask? Quite easy really but the flask does look really similar from a distance.

gallery_6744_22_2029.jpg

Looks like I didn't line up the little rubber grip part on the flask as well. :doh:

:lol:

Looks good!

And yes I got the camera and checked it for the famous left focus "problem" - all seems fine.

Haven't really done much other than fondle/handle it so far, hopefully this weekend I will be able to get out.

:dance: