I need a new camera.

Can't decide if I want to just get a simple point and shoot or one of these DSLRs.

What would people recommend for a good point and shoot?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

What kind of photos do you want to take? What's your budget?

There are some really good point and shoots now. The quality and controllability distinction with dslrs is very blurred.

I wouldn't mind taking some pics like muikabochi!

;)

Generally views, landscapes, places I go to, I suppose.

I'd like something decent though and something that will last me.

Honestly bit vague that, I don't really know hey., I need to start reading up more and getting to know whats out there.

I suppose I'm not big on the idea of carrying around tons of gear with me so I suppose something more compact will do it.

With phones, esp. smartphones, taking good photos and being with you all the time, I think its pointless buying a cheap point and shoot.So anything worth buying needs to be clearly better than a smartphone.

A rough guide to image quality of a camera is the physical size of the sensor, basically the bigger, the better.

Here's one example of an slr sized sensor in a more compact body.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynexc3

Hi Hotrod, I haven't looked into those kinds for a few years now so really don't know much.

But even the Canon point and shoot kind of thing my lady has actually takes pretty decent pictures and that's a few years old now!

I doubt you can go wrong really if you get one of the big makes and don't just go for a cheap thing.

The images that some of them can bring out are really great.

I suppose it depends on just how much you want it to be point and shoot, or a bit more in charge of things.

Getting a bit fed up with it now.

The annoying thing is that Nikon do not see fit to give any kind of indication whatsoever about production and when people can expect to get stock in.

I have asked a few smaller photography shops and they simply have no idea when or what to expect.

:(

Just fyi but I managed to break my Nikon flash yesterday having a bit play at strobism. It's the SB-600.

It already wobbled on the hot shoe and the rubber cover of the tilt button has long since gone (both common problems), but I dropped it and now it won't turn on.

Dropping it was my own fault, but it seems like lots of other folks have had the same problem. Some said they broke theirs dropping it only a few inches.

I'll open it up and have a look if I can solder something back on when I get some time, but if you're looking for a dslr flash, don't buy that one.

That doesn't sound very good. They're not cheap either, those SB-600's. I don't actually have a flash other than the one on top of the camera. Never really felt I wanted/needed one.

Criz, I totally agree. Nikon have been really naughty with their total silence on this, many people not happy about it.

There's lots of info on how to do cool stuff with flashes, often very cheaply with old or minimal gear, on the "strobist" website. I've found that getting even a bounced flash off camera makes a big difference.

I'll try and fix my broken one when I get some time. From what others say, it sounds like the battery case hits the circuit board and knocks something off. If I can't do it, there's a bloke in the UK that says he'll fix them for fifty quid, so it might have to wait till next time I'm home.

Good luck with that!

I think I'll try to quickly stop thinking about flashes otherwise I might end up wanting one! A bit of a lean period coming up so don't want to be encouraged! :doh:

I had a surprise yesterday. My lady had bought me the Nikon 70-200mm zoom lens.

:dance:

All very nice, but this one is actually..... a thermos flask.

Nikon-70-200mm-Thermos-Lens-Bottle.jpeg

Nikon-70-200mm-Thermos-Lens-Bottle-giveaway.jpeg

Looks really good actually! :lol:

muikabochi, was just reading a few things about the D800 vs D800e debate.

Doesn't look like there's must of a moire problem at all, and from some of the proper side by sides I have seen, there is a slight - but noticeable - increase in sharpness/res. with the D800e.

It's not huge, but it's there.

If you had a choice now would you go with the e?

It's funny you should bring that up.....

I have also been reading a lot this last week, mainly because my photographer friend has given me the chance to get a new D800E soon, if I wanted - and he could also get a near to full price for my current D800.

I would effectively be paying the official difference plus just a bit.

So I am actually giving it some thought.

Here's one

http://www.robgalbra...d=7-11676-12555

I actually think, money etc aside, that I would plump for the D800E given the straight choice.

But really, having said that, I'm not sure I could be bothered enough to go through doing that or even if I really want to.

It's not as if I am not extremely pleased with my camera.

:)

You'll have to keep the flask in your cabinet!

As for 800 vs. 800E, there's a difference, but not that much. I suppose at that level you want the best of the best, but the price difference strikes me as too high.

It seems too much of a difference to me as well.

Then again, the camera seems relatively cheap for what it is.

Keep on changing my mind on it!

I think I will probably waste a lot of time thinking and then inevitably end up going on first instinct on this one.