He is quite amusing isn't he. Wonder how much dosh he makes.

Yesterday, I received the Black Rapid RS-7 strap that I ordered. It's a bit expensive for what it is, but I think I am going to love it.

Never liked the rubbish straps that come with the camera, and this just feels right straight off. Nice.

1306139194.jpg

I've also decided to order the 70-200 f2.8 VRII later this month when I get some cash in. I know I'm going to get it, so can see no reason to sit around faffing about and watching the months tick away when I can afford to get it now. What's the point in waiting?

I have promised Ms Muikabochi though that once I get that lens, the spending frenzy is over.

At least for the near future (undefined!)

:)

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Actually one funny story I forgot to say. When I went to Asama the other week, brought the camera out and this Japanese otaku-looking dude was giving me some looks. He had a D700.

Within a minute he was up in my face asking about the 800, with looks of いいなーーー kind of comments. He wouldn't leave me alone!

Good stuff. If you can afford it then there seems no reason to wait if you know it's what you are going to get.

I have been considering getting one of those Black Rapid straps, they do look good. Can I use it left-handed, so to speak - hanging on my right shoulder?

You must be totally set up now muikabochi!

Though as you say, I don't suppose there's much point in wasting time when you know you are going to get these things - and they last such a long time and keep their value so well also.

What lenses do you have now then?

miller, no don't think you can really swap it round it seems made to go over your left shoulder.

gg, well that's my justification! I have had the 105mm micro from a few years back, so the line up will be:

14-24mm

24-70mm

70-200mm

105mm micro

16mm fisheye

It's an expensive bunch for sure, but having sold 4 other lenses for really good prices, coins hanging around adding up to a large amount and tax back that I got this time round, it hasn't really seemed like a scarily large amount really.

Very nice.

About that strap - I plan to get one of those myself, a friend of mine has one and just loves it. He said it took about a minute to get used to it and then he was like "why didn't I do this before".

Yes I sold the 10.5 and bought the 16 as I was moving from dx to fx... ended up costing me only about 5000 yen.

I'm really not sure actually. I haven't really used the new one much yet, so don't feel I know it yet, so I'll wait on giving my thoughts on that.

I did love the 10.5 though, that was a very fine lens for me. Very sharp indeed.

Wonder if they will update the 16 though, it's quite a fairly old design.

Would be keen to know your thoughts on it, I've been holding off on getting one for a few years it seems. Bit of a luxury, but a fun one I would think.

Wow great setup muika! I hope you'll be able to get out lots and use it.

I saw the vid of the fro with the strap and it looks super nifty on its own. How does it work with other bags? There's usually other stuff to be carried....

Thanks.

Yes, I now have to make good use of it all - though I must admit I also like looking at it through the glass of the dry cabinet here in my room/office. :lol:

Hopefully, the lenses will be with me for a very long time.

I haven't actually been out with a bag yet with the new strap. Just played around with the strap, but it is a really great idea and works brill too. Hardly used it yet but already highly recommend it.

Will let you know once I have been out with all the stuff + bag.

Dual use! Lenses-cum-ornaments! I've been flat out with work and gardening season has started, so my guitar has been sitting on its stand for a week or two, but it looks as beautiful as ever.

With landscapes, ultimately it seems like an exercise in putting yourself in the right place at the right time. Like yourself with the skies you shot the other day. By getting out there you create your own luck.

Might as well enjoy them every day! I take sneaky glances towards my dry cabinet every day, just to the side of me here. Nice big glass window, there they are all lined up. Sometimes take them out and hold them too.

:lol:

With landscapes, ultimately it seems like an exercise in putting yourself in the right place at the right time. Like yourself with the skies you shot the other day. By getting out there you create your own luck.

Yes, it's part of the whole taking good photo thing isn't it - planning and doing your best to be there, rather than just being lucky now and again.

My friend in Nagaoka will get up at all sorts of silly hours and sit in fields for hours on end waiting for that bird to come along and things like that.

He really puts the effort into getting the shot. And great ones he gets too.

OK strap and bag, not the most successful attempt really though I didn't give it that much chance if I'm being honest. Need more time on that one. Strap on it's own though very comfortable.

I totally forgot to take my lens hoods yesterday. I have used them on the new lenses until now, but feel I had a few more "light" issues with yesterdays snaps..... and perhaps that was the reason.

I've never really been big on them before now, but think I will make sure to use them when I want the best shots.

You use or not use?

Spent the morning transferring files to hard disc to open up some room on my computer here.

100GB since getting the new camera, my those files take up some space!

That's the kind of thing that puts me off DSLR's - seems to be a lot of fuss involved.

I'm not good enough or use them enough to put the time into all that lot.

Obviously, pays off when you take fab photos all the time.

Said that, I would like to get more into taking pics.

Hey, new here. Hi.

I have a D700 along with these lenses:

14-24mm f2.8

24-70mm f2.8

70-300mm

84mm f1.4

Like the 800 pics muikabochi, don't think I'll 'upgrade' just at the moment though still very happy with my D700.

Haven't taken it skiing though - what gear do you use to take it out?

Hi desu, and welcome :wave:

You mean the 85mm f1.4? That lens was very, very nice, I had a play with it the other week. Beautiful very sharp images.

I have a Lowepro back bag thingy. I was nervous at taking stuff up at first but got used to it. I don't have the lenses I have taken up skiing as I have now sold them but they were almost scratchless and in excellent condition, so they didn't take any knocks.

Worth pointing out that I only used to go out with the gear on fine and sunny days, so I wasn't going out when it was snowing.

Really not sure how I'm going to approach next ski season though with my new stuff.

Another very nice setup. Where's the bright green envy smilie?

If you're shooting lots of photos somewhere, a lens hood and a thin filter is probably enough protection to keep the lens cap off.

I use one on my fuji camera but mainly because it looks cool and came with the bundle I bought s/h.

976B10883F014DF0B0E2927D2DE22BD5.jpg

Thanks, perhaps next season I'll take them out.

Oh and yes I meant the 85mm. It is probably my fave actually, an outstanding lens. I got it second hand but it was as-new as far as I could tell.

Like the look of that camera Mr Wiggles, very retro! - what does Ken think about it?

Hi desu!

Been reading up on the use of hoods. One of those hot topics that you hear arguments on both sides, a bit like filters really.

Ken says leave them at home, so I think I will give them a go though from now.

;)

You got filters on your new lenses muikabochi?

Actually, no. I have bought a 77mm polarizer which fits them, but not actually used it yet.

I'm not going to stick on a protector or whatever you call them though. I'll protect the lenses myself.

Still not used to operations yet! :lol: