• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

There are rumors of a new, cheaper full frame DSLR camera from Nikon that will be called D600. Here are the preliminary specs:

• Unknown MP count at that point
  • The new camera will be marketed as an entry level full frame camera
  • Auto DX crop mode
  • Dual SD card slots
  • In-camera RAW editor
  • Built in time-lapse functionality
  • There will be no build-in HDR feature
  • Possible integrated GPS
  • New external battery grip
  • To be released this summer

Still no D400 news. Curious.

Apart from the name and FX, that's not a lot of info is it! Nikon Rumors san guesses at 1900USD in his comments.

At dpreview, D3200 at high ISO looks great btw. Indoors, it looks like it will outperform a top end camera from just five years ago. Now if they would only make some good primes for dx....

With the D3200, they've updated the cheapest one to beat the more expensive ones, so they'll have to be updated too. Muika mentioned Nikkor lining up a Tamron style dx megazoom (18-300) supposedly on the way, and the rumours say it will come in at over 100,000 yen. That's serious money, so there must still be life in the dx slr market.

I think they did with the price increase for any new orders taken but mine still seems to be at the price I originally agreed.

I'm not going to adjust it!

Hope you get it soon Criz and I don't blame you for sitting on that order.

I read somewhere that someone is trying to flog one for $6000 on ebay, the bastard.

Even got some proper camera shops selling them with $1000 or so added which is pretty low especially when they have people who have actually pre-ordered.

Hopefully get some nice shots this weekend and looking forward to trying those lenses too.

do you guys use the HDR functionality?

Not used it but in two minds about what I think about it. It can look totally amazing, though used wrong can also look awful.

Like most things I suppose.

Kind of interested, I do like contrasty colourful images, but I have other things I want to learn.

Things I noticed today:

- I have a lot to learn

- as much as I love the lenses, it's still a right pain having to change and swap them around, and I'm still not used to the setup and feels somewhat clumsy

- next time don't forget that beautiful 14-24 bulbous monster, you silly silly man

- 85mm seems to take beautiful images

- I have tons to learn

Kokujoji in Mitsuke was absolutely stunning though. I love that place, it was beautiful today. And surprisingly not busy at all.

Amazing trees, beautiful temples, sakura in full bloom and falling down on us as we had a picnic.

Photos downloading (slllowwwly) to computer now.

Looking forward to seeing them!

With the lenses, its great that you can try different ones out with someone experienced, and I'm sure you'll find the best combo for yourself over time.

As for the learning one, I'm still keen on getting an A3 printer but I strongly suspect that big prints will just show that the photos I want to print up big aren't actually worth printing up big. :doh:

Yeah I know I'll get more used to it, but I don't think I will ever like it. One of the prices to pay I suppose.

Going around with my friend yesterday I was kind of embarrassed at how little I do know and not being able to properly answer of even know what he was on about some of the time. :lol:

I told myself I would definitely learn though with this new equipment, though as he said - lovely equipment certainly helps with the quality of the end photo but the equipment doesn't actually take the photos it's the dude pressing the shutter. A poor photo will still be a poor photo (took a fair few of them yesterday!)

One thing I am finding rather challenging is resizing the big images to jpg while trying to keeping them look lovely and sharp. Somehow they lose some of that eye-popping loveiness when they are downsized which I suppose might be unavoidable. Though I think it's me perhaps not optimising the downsizing as good as I should. How do you think these two images compare?

jpg.jpg

png.png

Had a go with that 300mm prime yesterday - it's massive! And rather heavy. I don't think I'll be getting one of them in a rush (nothing to do with it costing 50 man of course!!)

But I definitely feel the need for more reach than my 24-70mm. Question is, how to get that.

My monitor might be off, but the second one looks maybe 2/3 to a full stop brighter. I'd say they're both properly exposed and the difference is within the range of personal preference and which elements are more important to you. The gain in shadow detail in the background has come at the expense of the maple looking a bit sun-bleached.

They both look equally sharp. Nice composition and nice light too.The subject looks quite new though, so unfortunately it's not giving you the "sabi" you often get in temple photos.

There was a thing on luminous landscape t'other day showing a photo from the D800 that was perfect at 100% but had massive moire when resized smaller. Their example showed the moire was a monitor resolution problem, and nothing to do with the camera. I guess you wouldn't see it on a print of the resized image. In that situation, I guess most folks would wrongly blame the camera.

Thanks. Got tons of files to work through but my computer is really struggling with them, or should I say it just takes a lot of time.

Come on apple get that imac announced and released!

The new non-exploding battery has arrived too. Phew!