Keen on photography myself, the D800 looks awesome.

I have a D200 along with 3 DX lenses, looking to buy a new camera.

Was thinking of what would follow the D300s - D400? - but there isn't much news on that, like you said at the beginning of this.

I don't think I can stretch my budget to an 800 + the lenses I would need to really make the most of it.

Do you use a dry cabinet for your gear muikabochi?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Hi Jerro

There seem to be more rumours of the D400 or whatever, but who knows hey.

Yes I do have a dry cabinet. My camera and lenses are all sitting pretty in there and I definitely think it is worth it for peace of mind protecting the gear.

I have a D200 along with 3 DX lenses, looking to buy a new camera.

Loads of great lustworthy stuff out there and in the pipeline for sure!

One big development in the last year or two is DX sensors going into compact cameras. Compact cameras like the Nex-7, Fuji X series etc. have caught up with D7000 level DX DSLRs in terms of image quality and are close in terms of adjustability and response. I think the Sony ones even take Leica M lenses, which all the purists go on about as the best "glass". Anyway, what I guess it means is that if Nikon wants to continue selling high-end DX gear, which I'm sure it does, it's going to have to pull out the stops with the D400 in the same way as they have with the D800. The s/h prices of the 5D MkII and the D700 are also under 13 man, which means that starting an FX collection with a really good body isn't actually that expensive any more either.

Yes I have the wide and also the 18-200mm which is the one I use mostly.

Love the idea of the fisheye but it's a lot of cash just for that, for me anyway.

The Rokinon fisheye is 300USD, which looks like a lot of lens for the money.

That said, shooting with your ultrawide and stitching shots together is free! Software is very good at it now.

I had the 18-200mm as well, Jerro, it was my most used one as well I guess.

I hear that an 18-300mm DX might be out fairly soon.

Rokinon? Never heard of that name.

They are fun fisheyes but definitely just a sometimes lens. Often the results are rubbish and silly but when it works, it works really fab and can be a delight.

I actually replaced my 10.5 DX fisheye with the Nikkor 16mm FX fisheye - was able to sell the 10.5 at a good price and buy the 16 new one for just over 1man on top of what I got for the 10.5.

Haven't used it yet, but this afternoon I'm going out to take a few test shots with a few of the new lenses.

:D

A few things I have noticed today:

- wow the files are BIG! Of course, I knew that they would be.... but.... they are big!!

- I need to relearn some things and lots of practice to get the maximum out of this beast.

One thing that is clear is that you can really crop an image right down. I'll post an example soon.

Doesn't make me not want the 300mm f.28 VRII though. ;)

I probably shouldn't post these because they are almost snapshot style and not very exciting I'm afraid... basically turn the camera on and take the pic, so no settings changes from default or anything going on here.

The only thing I have done here is save the original file smaller than it's original massive pixel size, put the square shape on, and then cut it for the second image - but maybe a good idea of how much an image can be cropped.

This is the full sized shot

pli00.jpg

and that little square area cropped out with no other changes

260shon.jpg

and another one

2d7iihl.jpg

Got a question: Nikon or Canon? Is Sony a worthy player there as well?

Interested in how people choose initially. There seems to be a real loyalty thing going on especially with Nikon vs Canon.

Nikon and Canon both make great cameras. Sony do too. Nikon uses Sony sensors, so it'll be interesting to see if Sony do something with the D800 one. They put the D7000 one in a compact camera called the NEX-7. Sony's camera division used to belong to Minolta.

As for which is better etc., the differences between the actual photos are often miniscule, so its more a case of what lenses and flashes you have already, and what kind of handling/quirks you are used to. In terms of menus and settings, all cameras are way behind smartphones and iDevices in user friendliness.

Like in the days of film, in 2012 you can now buy a very good camera that is smaller and lighter than a dslr. I guess the "SLR = proper camera" image will be around for a while though.

When I was deciding to buy my first 'proper camera', I just liked the look and feel of the Nikon and on reading up on it all it seemed to be a fine choice in terms of camera and lenses.

Once into Nikon gear, I suppose I have just carried that on. I read reviews and stuff of course and am not blindingly just going for Nikon, but I do like and have an attachment with their stuff.

The good lenses are just so super sexy.

:friend:

With the page refresh I missed your photos muika, but that's lot of detail! Nowt wrong with snaps either!

I've seen the D800 brochure too, and the shot of the library at the front is stunning.

Being able to crop like that opens up a lot of possibilities, though I guess you're going to have to be conscious of them beforehand to get the best results. Spot metering for the bit you are going to keep etc. It won't quite reduce photography to pointing it in the general direction and firing away. Not just yet anyway.

If you get a nice deep blue sky and a hillside full of trees in autumn colour you can pick out individually, it's going to be wicked.

Yes really looking forward to a fine clear blue sky day, though it always seems to be 'hazy' of late. Spring, hey. :doh:

You are right about the menus and settings - they are really a pain!

'Uncle Ken' seems to moan on and on about these things, but does go rather overboard way too often I think.

Reading through lots of his articles, he seems to contradict himself a lot, perhaps because he doesn't update old pages and the organisation of his site is laughable.

I find myself going back to read though!

Someone I know in Nagaoka who is a photographer has the 300mm f2.8 VRII beast of a lens ( 500,000+ yen! :veryshocked: ) and has said that I can use it if I want.

I think I might take him up on that!

I am actually quite keen on doing more macro stuff and taking photos of birds and wildlife.

300m-f28-vr-ii.jpg

Let's see. I could try and do some work, or I could go on flickr and see how much bokeh F2.8 at 300mm gives you. Decisions, decisions.

Ken Rockwell loves his poster paint colours, that's for sure. As for menus and buttons, I leave my camera on the wrong settings all the time, so more idiotproofing would definitely be welcome from me!

Some smelly people trying to sell the D800 for 367,930 yen on amazon now.

:grandpa:

I see Amazon themselves still have the "no stock" thing going on.

So glad I got out of that frustrating situation promptly!