• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Yes I noticed that. Not sure I believe it.

Just had it out with one of the customer sales people on the phone and got the expected apology-fob-off-but-no-answer kind of response.

:sadface:

Still no idea when to expect it.

Good luck with amazon "support".

Like google, facebook etc al, they don't seem to put much of any effort into helping you when things don't go smoothly.

Sure don't make it easy anyway.

Now that reviews and sample photos are coming out, these new cameras from Canon and Nikon have me much more excited than I should be. They are all marvels of engineering. Unlike the one hundred grand sports cars shown on Top Gear, I think the new tech used in high-end cameras actually does make it into lower-end market models given time, so ultimately everyone wins.

Hope yours turns up soon! With cherry blossom, first day of school, the start of the wedding season, and not so long till Golden Week, I'm sure a fair few of the people who've ordered will be very anxious about when their camera is coming.

Thanks Mr Wiggles, me too.

They now have me down for

お届け予定日: 木曜日 2012/3/29 - 水曜日 2012/4/4

though given the way they have dealt with it all so far, I totally don't believe it and reckon I will see that slipping again when they can't fulfil it.

Trying to have a conversation with support at amazon is the most frustrating thing ever. Well, perhaps not ever.

You are totally unable to respond directly to an email and you get no record of your emails.

You are unable to be transferred to the person you spoke to last by phone.

There is absolutely no way to have a continued 'support' conversation with the same person and so it feels like a continuous fob-off and you need to start from scratch each time.

It's a total mess, mind-blowingly frustrating and I'm pretty goddam angry about it.

Meanwhile on the look out for anywhere else that might have one so I can cancel at amazon - not looking good though!

I have had something like that with amazon,.

They are great when you don't need to contact them.. not when you do!

Good luck mucks!

Pixiq reported today that Nikon UK increased the price of the Nikon D4 by £500 and the D800 by £200, with immediate effect.

The information is based on an email sent from a Nikon UK general manager.

The previous pricing was described as a "systems error".

:lol:

Ripoff UK strikes again!

Not so long to wait then Muika. fwiw, people have already started selling them at a premium on Yahoo Auctions. I should have thought of that myself.

I finally cracked the other day and bought a camera too, a second hand Fuji X100. Its got the odd foible, such as the official case being a little tight once you put a protective filter on the lens, but I'm well pleased with it. The auto exposure and auto white balance are stellar, and it takes really magic portraits. It just seems to get them right somehow.

Not bad looking either!

7877859.jpg

Interesting one there Mr Wiggles. What made you get that, Mr Wiggles, if you don't mind? Was it expensive?

About my shipping date - like I said, I simply don't believe it for a minute. I will be extremely surprised if that happens and certainly not expecting to have my camera in that time frame.

New orders on amazonjp gone from 5-10 days to 1-3 months again, I see.

And it is looking like Nikon are going to ask for the "new increased price" to be valid on all backorders as well - not just new orders. With rumours of similar increases in other countries too, not just the UK.

There is lots of bad feeling around this release, they really do seem to be making a complete mess of it.

Just got this

ご案内しておりました『3月29日から4月4日』のお届けは困難な事がわかりました

What a surprise!!! (not)

:(

I think I've kind of come to terms with it now and not bothering getting bothered too much any more.

Bloody hell! The bastards! Muzukashii and konnan, the real ways to say "no" in Japanese. I wonder how Nikon are divvying them out. I hope all the ye olde full-price camera shoppes around the country don't have first dibs.

As for the X100, I just saw some reviews on websites like Luminous Landscape and Ken Rockwell and they said it was great camera. Mr. Rockwell says its his go-to camera for shooting his kids. It came out originally with a dog's body of software inside it, so a lot of the original reviews highlight issues that have since been fixed. Frustrating things like the Auto ISO setting not being in the ISO menu. The autofocus has got better too. It seems to be a love/hate camera with many people, with some folks expecting it to be more old school than it actually is. The manual focus is very unresponsive, for example. As for ordinary people, the sensor is a biggie at DX size and the finder and shutter release speed are very close to a DSLR. Those aspects make it quite different to other compact cameras.

Off the Auctions, it was 75,000 with the case, a filter adapter, UV filter/protector, hood, and the Fuji leather case. The case is beautiful, but not very practical. You have to take it off to use a tripod, remove the battery, or get at the memory card or USB connector. The camera itself is light and fun to use. I had a confirmatory go on one last week in K's Denki, so its not hard to find if you're interested.

Back to the D800, but the new price looks suspiciously like Nikon jacking it up toward 5D MkIII levels. The one I don't understand is why they have put the 36MP sensor in the camera that sells at half of the price of the D4 with its 18MP one. Burst shooting rate can't matter to that many people. Its like Nikon cannibalizing their own high end where you'd think they make the most money.

Since the 36MP sensor is made by Sony, they may well do something interesting with it in their own cameras.Sony make top class video equipment, so they may outdo Canon on that score.

With you shooting so many landscapes in great light, the D800 looks just the job for you. You get to use all the great lenses in the Nikon family, and a body with the detail 36MP will give you. Some of the other features on modern cameras like HDR and shooting video with massive bokeh already look a bit naff to me. More detail will always be a good, ladies' complexions aside perhaps. All we need now is some better monitors to show that detail to us. With a 6MP camera in every phone even, monitor technology is lagging well behind. Sort it out people!

That really sucks, muika. Do you still have a camera to use in the meantime other than point and shoot one?

Sounds like Apple might be on the case with the monitors, Mr Wiggles? Then again, who knows... it's secret! ;)

Sounds interesting, Mr Wiggles. I'll have to read up on what "Mr Ken" says. His website is just so great with the old navigation, hey? ;)

As for my new camera like I said I have kind of given up the fight as it's getting me nowhere. I wasn't expecting this, I should perhaps have ordered in a few places - though right now nowhere has stock. So I'm just going to wait and try to forget until one day I get an email telling me some good news. How good I will be at doing that in a week or two weeks time, I don't know! :lol:

I would be less annoyed at amazon if they didn't lead you to believe it was coming on launch day, and then another day, and then another and it keep slipping.

He's very opinionated but I quite like Ken Rockwell. He comes out with some entertaining stuff. It says somewhere on the site that the picture of him on the first page holding that massive zoom is just to convince people that he's a photographer, and that he never actually uses that lens. He doesn't even like it.

On the resolution issue, me and the missus went to the Aichi Expo back in 2005. The only thing we queued to see was the frozen mammoth that was paired with the Sony hi-res cinema. It used three HD projectors aligned horizontally. They showed about twenty minutes of Quatsi/Baraka style footage from around the world, which looked fantastic and was cinemascope-on-steroids wide. The film was apparently only 6 megapixels in size, 6000 by 1000. Even widthwise that's less than the D800 at top resolution. The screen they showed it on was fifty meters wide....

He could sure do with rebuilding his site with some kind of structure.

It's just like an unruly mess of words right now, he seems to sometimes get overly enthusiastic and doesn't know how to edit, but yes I have read lots of it too.

Haha extra story.

On Kotaku just before some company said they had some D800s "in stock". Both on Kotaku and on their site.

Same price, so I thought why not and ordered.

Imagine my surprise when they came back to me and said it would be "1-3 months" before it ships.

I cancelled, of course, and decided to not bother doing that again. :lol:

My photographer friend has also ordered one muikabochi. His local shop do not know when they are due to get stock, so all he can do is wait.

He seems very excited about this new camera though.

Hope you get yours soon.

Haha extra story.

On Kotaku just before some company said they had some D800s "in stock". Both on Kotaku and on their site.

Same price, so I thought why not and ordered.

Imagine my surprise when they came back to me and said it would be "1-3 months" before it ships.

I cancelled, of course, and decided to not bother doing that again. :lol:

That's a really shitty way for them to do things.

I'm sure they would say that it is not their fault or something..... have they kept their listing on there with the "in stock" tag?

I have good news.

All being well, I'll have my new camera at the weekend.

Story - friend told me that someone was selling a brand new unopened one on yahoo auction. Checked and there it was!

新品未開封品

From a seller with a 100% good reputation. Great timing!

"Pay now" option at just 10,000 yen or so more than the Amazon listed price as well.

To save a huge amount of faffing about and who knows how long waiting for my amazon order to arrive, I thought that it was a price worth paying --- and so I did it. :)

I'm thinking that I might just keep my amazon order live, and actually get it delivered. And then do someone else a favour by selling it - not on amazon - for about the same price I have just bought mine for and just cover my costs or something.

I'm not into the idea of extorting people at huge amounts, as I know how annoying it is and it just seems....somehow wrong.

Hope the payment and delivery of this all goes smoothly, but I should have it done and in my hands at the weekend.

:groovy: