As hobbies go, photography's not an expensive one, not now its digital. Its peanuts compared to what some people spend on cars. A season ticket for the Premiership is 100,000 yen a year. That's like depreciation on tons and tons of camera gear if you look after it. Skiing a lot too burns through loads of dosh.

Do ever print out many Muika? I'm going to gets me an A3 printer next. Anybody got any recommendations?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no no : it looks really good with my Rolex Daytona. Sod the autofocus.

Are your lenses full frame? If not, you'd be better off replacing them if you buy a full frame body. Shooting dx lenses on a full frame body is a waste, given the cost of full frame bodies. With Niko

Thats what I tell myself (and my lady too) Mr Wiggles.

I don't splash out on many things, and with the amount of enjoyment I get out of all this I think I can justify it. And with that 'investment value' as well. ;)

I have printed a few large prints like mini posters, but not myself - I'm not into the idea of printing myself really.

I also make a calendar every year for family and friends, but again that is done by an online service (vistaprint) and they do a really decent job especially for the price.

Maybe I should and will do more.

My new 24-70mm lens arrived today. That was quick only ordered yesteday! :dance: :groovy:

Quality lenses are such beautiful things.

Similar.

I wanted to sell quickly rather than fuss over 500 yen or so, and so there seemed no point in being the 5th cheapest.

Luckily the cheapest was very acceptable to me.

So I made mine the cheapest.

Seemed to work.

:)

Updated!

D800 body ordered

Nikkor 16-35mm Nikkor 14-24mm contemplating

Nikkor 24-70mm bought

Nikkor 70-300mm Nikkor 70-200mm VR II contemplating, need more funds, probably later

Nikkor 16mm fisheye ordered

Deciding/decided to think long term, really get top lenses and not compromise and possibly regret later.

I have sold my 70-300mm - never was overly mad keen on that one, it always seemed soft and when I thought about it I wasn't using it that much at all.

Also sold my Fisheye and replacing that with the 16mm FX fisheye. Can't do without my Fisheye.

I reckon I'll end up with well over 200,000 yen for the lenses sold, and then there's the D7000 body as well that I will sell once I get the new camera. Or maybe a bit before.

:groovy:

Oh so many decisions to make!

I think I'd rather see some shots of how top end lenses beat cheaper ones at the same focal length than just hear some "awesome, awesome" and slagging off of Canon.

As for Muika, when the big mid-range zoom already bought, the temptation must be to go for the widest ultrawide. To go for the full works, esp when you shoot so many landscapes. If you hike much, the 16-35 could be good because it might let you leave the midrange at home and cut down on weight. You're looking at a kilo each with these, aren't you?

Only today has it hit home that I have sold all but one of my lenses (hopefully will be gone soon) - my dry cabinet is looking rather bare! I think I got excited at the fact I could sell them for good prices to make me feel better about buying lots of new stuff. Result = not much gear right now!

:lol:

:doh:

I quite like the weight actually, though I might change that comment with multiple lenses of course.

There's always janken!

With the high level of what you're buying, the best thing is probably to go to a shop and try both. Do a quick run to Tokyo if you have to. Shopping online may save you money but proper shops full of nice shiny gear are the best! I'm sure a big Yodobashi or Bic Camera is full of lustworthy stuff. Time spent going to a big shop is better than time spent reading more and more info online imo.

I remember seeing the 12-24 years ago at the Nikon center at Toki outlet when the Nikon brought out their first FX digital SLR. I was amazed by it. It was like watching a movie in full cinemascope. The body had a massive (compared to D70) finder and then the angle of field off the lens was something else. I think the combo was 800,000 yen at the time. Its not quite in my price range yet, but I've wanted FX ever since.

As an aside, Canon's new 5D doesn't seem to have massively improved numbers. It must be three years' of development better though, so I wonder what their approach has been.

Do you mean the 14-24 there MrW?

The names are all so confusing!

:grandpa:

Good idea though, actually if I'm not skiing this weekend we are off to Niigata... Some big shops there that will have them.

:friend:

Do a quick run to Tokyo if you have to.

Sod the shink, and do it naked! ;)

I find lens names frustratingly un-friendly. Not that I'm big into them but it all sounds very confusing.

Do you mean the 14-24 there MrW?

The names are all so confusing!

:grandpa:

Good idea though, actually if I'm not skiing this weekend we are off to Niigata... Some big shops there that will have them.

:friend:

Yeah, the 12 is the dx one, wasn't it. Doh!

Anyway, actually looking through the finder though was worth ten thousand reviews and Youtube vids telling me how awesome it was.

The new iPad screen could well be the same.

I'm still tempted to get a new camera, but the one I fancy is the Fuji X100, an enthusiast's point and shoot. A bit like a poor man's Leica.

The only DX lens I have left now is the 12-24mm (*if anyone wants it. Not put it up for sale yet, I need one lens for now!) :lol:

It is a fantastic lens, but as I will be replacing it, I won't be needing it.

Just look at this beauty of a lens

D3S_4394-1200.jpg