I have only been skiing for four years but ski both northern and southern hemispheres. In February 2012 just days before flying out of Australia to Hakuba I upgraded my first set of skis, Rossignol Bandit SC80 165, to K2 Aftershock 167. It was not possible to try before I bought. Both the Rossignols and the K2s came with intergrated bindings. Whilst skiing it was pointed out to me that the bindings on my K2 Aftershocks appeared to be possitioned well back on the ski. On return, when compared with my SC80s they were positioned further back. I bought the 2010-2011 aftershocks being told they were the same as the current 2011-2012 model except for the graphics with the later one having more yellow. My Aftershocks are 167 in length, 72 cm from tip to binding, 43.5 cm from tail to binding and a binding length of 43.5 cm. Is anyone aware if there is any possibility that the bindings may have been moved further forward for the current 2011/12 model Aftershock and, if so, what difference it would make?

Can you determine how far back in cm you are from the midsole mark? That's not entirely odd that a manufacturer would install the bindings intentionally (it's quite common) on anything other than the factory center. It usually means they have skied the ski and determined the optimal best all round performance spot for the ski. The factory center in fact usually doesn't correspond with the center cut of the ski....and I think that's what you might be seeing here. If the bindings are set aft it might mean the center cut is a little back of center.....hard to say. Don't compare them to your other skiis...each ski is different.

Ski them...and see how they feel to you. At 4 years you are probably still a little in the back seat in terms of your stance so concentrate on getting onto the fronts and charge hard. In fact, you may have to do that anyway to get the ski to feel right.

With twin tips though most of the typical fore and aft arguments of the past mean less. Again, there are SO MANY variables so just get out and ride.

• Like 1

Yes, you are quite right when you mention my stance. I am generally over the problem of skiing in the back seat but often end back there when I have been thrown off balance or have become excessively tired in the legs. I actually meant to say I bought the skis in January not February and I am just back in Australia after two weeks in Hakuba. I enjoyed the skis and skiied steeper and faster than previously and was more confident with these skis at higher speed. I am conscious not to get in the back seat and for this reason I was concerned that the binding being aft might not have suited. I also failed to mention that the K2 Aftershock has 30% rocker in the tip only and 70% camber. This may also contribute to the binding's position.

Thanks