Stung for city tax after leaving japan?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

flip them the bird.....laugh.....walk away....ignore.

I realise its debatable, but I think I can argue of being mugged of a fair whack of money by the Japanese government: 10man city tax despite not being in the country, and 2 years of unrefundable (why not?) pension payments which is another 50 to 100man or so.

The first point, you're standing on rocky ground. You lived in the country, and you used the services, so you are effectively being charged for using them. Did you use the pavements? Roads? Parks? If yes, then that's some of the reasons you are paying tax.

The pension system is f**ked up, but there are companies out there, who will try to fight for your money, and take some compensation for it.

How long were you in the country for and how many years did you pay into the pension scheme?

It was 100,000 yen, and if you remember it was for the period Jan-July 2012 despite the fact I had already left Japan and handed in my gaijin card in December 2011!

Anyway, I would have had to pay it when I claim the pension refund probably which eases the sting.

I realise its debatable, but I think I can argue of being mugged of a fair whack of money by the Japanese government: 10man city tax despite not being in the country, and 2 years of unrefundable (why not?) pension payments which is another 50 to 100man or so.

The first year you lived in Japan you didn't pay taxes. So even though you left in December 2011, you still have to pay taxes for 2012 because everything is pushed back by a year. It seems like they only took what you owed. In any case, I've heard lots and lots of stories of people's bank being charged directly so the big lesson is to keep your cash under the mattress.