Stung for city tax after leaving japan?

It's silly of them to expect folks to pay for services over a year after they have moved away.

I think they check if you apply for permanent res, other than that you'll probably get away with not paying.

they are starting to ask for evidence from your city hall when you renew your visa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

flip them the bird.....laugh.....walk away....ignore.

It's silly of them to expect folks to pay for services over a year after they have moved away.

I think they check if you apply for permanent res, other than that you'll probably get away with not paying.

they are starting to ask for evidence from your city hall when you renew your visa

Yes. This is a big concern for people who are renewing our visas.

Yes. This is a big concern for people who are renewing our visas.

Yep, it's not supposed to affect the visa application process; however, I can see a few people losing their visas due to "extraneous" circumstances. ;)

Hard to believe that it's not supposed to effect the process when they told me they won't accept my application without the tax paperwork...

All you need is the form of taxation payment, anyone can get that, regardless of how much you have paid.

Hard to believe that it's not supposed to effect the process when they told me they won't accept my application without the tax paperwork...

I think we might be underestimating the authorities here, it is hard to believe as BM said.

I think we might be underestimating the authorities here, it is hard to believe as BM said.

I suppose it might depend on where you live in Japan as well. In Shizuoka we seem to have a disproportionately large number of foreign factory labourers that may be more inclined to try and dodge the city taxes. They seem to be very strick about that kind of thing around here.

actually quite a lot in southern Kanagawa too.....when I lived in Hiratsuka I used to hang out with a bunch of Brazilians, Peruvians and other assorted South Americans. They worked in the tyre factories and such like

• 2 months later...

Just an update, I went in and out of Japan no problem as a tourist. They hadn't flagged me up as oweing* money.

* according to their definition. I don't think I owe them anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update....

Kobe City tax office just went into my Japanese bank account and took the money out!!!

I checked my balance and noticed some strange withdrawal, it was city tax!

Is that even legal to just take money directly out of someones account without warning? I doubt very much you can do that in the UK unless there has been legal proceedings. Outrageous!!!

Let this be a warning to all gaijin - if you plan to dodge the city tax make sure you empty your account as soon as possible!

By law, yes they are allowed to do it. They will go to your employer, or previous employer, and ask for your bank details. They will also send warnings to your address in Japan.

The company will usually give them to the city office, as it makes their life easier.

Happened to me, but made it easier to pay and this time around I said to them "you have my bank details, now take the money out when need be for my tax."

It was 100,000 yen, and if you remember it was for the period Jan-July 2012 despite the fact I had already left Japan and handed in my gaijin card in December 2011!

Anyway, I would have had to pay it when I claim the pension refund probably which eases the sting.

I realise its debatable, but I think I can argue of being mugged of a fair whack of money by the Japanese government: 10man city tax despite not being in the country, and 2 years of unrefundable (why not?) pension payments which is another 50 to 100man or so.

It seems to me that regardless of whether you think it is "being mugged" or not, they seem to have that right.

Perhaps you need to pay for a year even if you don't stay for a year?

Perhaps you didn't quite cut things off as you should have?

I don't know, but they obviously feel they are legally in the right.