Stung for city tax after leaving japan?

So I moved back to the UK in early Dec 2011, but I have started getting letters from Kobe City tax office saying that I need to pay them 100,000 yen (yes, 10man) city tax for the period Jan to June 2012. I contacted them to say "but I am not living in Japan anymore" but they insist that I have to pay it anyway.

I have never heard of this before from friends moving home, and it didn't happen to me when I left JET.

Has anyone else come across this one?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

flip them the bird.....laugh.....walk away....ignore.

The bill is for the financial year which I think is June-June or so.

I actually think the owe me money because the total amount was 300,000 for the financial year, and I have paid 200,000 (2/3) already despite only being in Japan for 1/2 the year. So they should owe ME 50,000 yen according to my logic.

Japan has already got 2 years of non-refundable pension payments out of me so I am tempted to just ignore them now but I wonder what the consequences would be should I return to Japan. I doubt they are clued up enough to nab me at the airport coming in but you never know!

Bobby....they aren't. I am living proof. When I was first here I didn't pay my city tax, back then though it was cheap, and I was worried about when I came back. I had budgeted in that amount just in case I was stopped at the airport (paranoid? oh yeah!!) but I wasn't. Are you married though? That might complicate things

yes, my wife is more likely to go back. she is going in april for example. but i told her that in the worst case scenario that they nab us at the airport, we just say 'what letter? we didnt get no letter!' and then just give them the money.

they won't....not that I meant getting nabbed at the airport. I just meant if you moved back here there'd be more of a paper trail from your previous time here if your wife was Japanese etc. Although they are starting to get their act together, I bet immigration staff at the airport don't have flagged names from the Tax office.

Your city tax is set based in where you were living on Jan 1st of that year, which in your case was Kobe for 2011/12.

You are due to pay the full amount regardless of where you live after that time. It sucks but that be the law.

Your city tax is set based in where you were living on Jan 1st of that year, which in your case was Kobe for 2011/12.

You are due to pay the full amount regardless of where you live after that time. It sucks but that be the law.

that be the law in Japan.......but Bobby doesn't live in Japan anymore

So that means if you move out of Japan on Jan 2nd 2011, you have to pay city tax for the financial year June 2011 to June 2012?

Seems crazy.

Am afraid so.

The first year in Japan is essentially tax free however from year 2 onwards we are supposed to pay now and show that we have been paying when we renew our visas.

I see what you are saying about a pro rata tax system, but then what is to stop people saying, "hey, I didn't use x or y, so why should I pay for those services?"

Yeah, I'd be inclined to play the "Letter! What letter?" card as and when or if you return to Japan. & obviously don't live in Kobe again! ;)

I see what you are saying about a pro rata tax system, but then what is to stop people saying, "hey, I didn't use x or y, so why should I pay for those services?"

It's been a few years since I've lived there, but I seem to remember getting refunds of UK Council Tax after moving out of my house and into lodgings. Obviously not here though, which reminds me - I need to pay my city tax instalment this week! :thumbsup:

I know a guy who has been here for 5 years and hasn't paid....he just moves ku every year. Of course I did suggest that with all the moving fees he pays every bloody year it would be cheaper just paying his bloody tax!! :lol:

Bobby, tell the tax of to get on their bike!!

Not that I particularly want them to be but... why are they so disconnected like this?

Other countries so are the Japan authorities just a bit more hopeless on this kind of thing?

I didnt pay some city tax once and moved cities. When I registered my gaijin card in the new city, the previous city started sending the bills to my new address. Im all square with them now, but yeah the city tax is a real killer.

It's silly of them to expect folks to pay for services over a year after they have moved away.

I think they check if you apply for permanent res, other than that you'll probably get away with not paying.