Well, actually, not really close up.... taken from Yuzawa Kogen.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21315-yuzawa-kogen-niigata-3rd-february-2012/

There's been some talk about it so I thought I would take some pics of it all, and here it is.

This first one basically shows all of the South Area:

gallery_6744_133_328672.jpg

gallery_6744_133_181421.jpg

gallery_6744_133_235080.jpg

gallery_6744_133_191845.jpg

gallery_6744_133_240625.jpg

gallery_6744_133_147943.jpg

gallery_6744_133_40784.jpg

gallery_6744_133_372725.jpg

Ropeway connecting Gala Yuzawa <> Yuzawa Kogen

gallery_6744_133_145760.jpg

bastards opened the bottom of the run today!!! :granpa: :veryangry:

gallery_6744_133_40784.jpg

gallery_6744_133_191845.jpg

this is where I spent most of yesterday......the top bit, the ungroomed section just to the left of the slope as you look at it, I cut a lot of those tracks yesterday and then the bottom section just to the right of the run as you look at it, yesterday wasn't cut up like that and I did my best to make it more like that!! :D Actually its interesting seeing the full slope from the opposite angle, at the bottom, extreme right (as we look at it) looks to be pretty sketchy terrain under there and maybe that was why the patrol was wary of having anyone in that vicinity.

This whole section here was the interesting terrain I spoke about, on the left of this picture and then continuing left, there is a great looking face that would be awesome to ride......of course I have no idea about whether its dangerous or not or whats in the the run out that you'd pop from. It would take you into the gully between GALA and Yuzawa Kogen

gallery_6744_133_181421.jpg

Actually its interesting seeing the full slope from the opposite angle, at the bottom, extreme right (as we look at it) looks to be pretty sketchy terrain under there and maybe that was why the patrol was wary of having anyone in that vicinity.

Yeah, I don't blame them.

KD's used to that up in Furano! ;)

So looking at the 1st photo of the whole Southern Area, where's the run that is accessed by the "Coach" lift from the top of the Central Area? & TB, given that the top was closed when you went, was your access point that cat-track that comes across from the right hand side, as we're looking at it?

Thanks for posting this Muika - nice photos as always! :thumbsup:

yeah the access point is about halfway down the picture from the right, it leads off the easy edelweiss gerende. Coach accesses the very top but since I've never been, I don't actually know where it comes down on the picture. the bottom part of that run remained closed as well when I was there, so at the top of the lift you could only come off to the right, not the left

OK on this photo the Central main area of GALA is to the right hand side.

That very top pair lift goes up to pretty much the top rightish area of this photo. Behind what we can see here.

The course over to the South Area is pretty flat for a while as it goes along the top area there to the left.

See the area near the top left - that's where it turns and starts coming down into the main South Area as you can see in closeup:

gallery_6744_133_129973.jpg

Doesn't look like people have been using it, though that may well just be since the heavy snowfalls. On their course map it is noted as a course.

So that top course is flat going along behind these bits which are above the South Area runs.

gallery_6744_133_28439.jpg

gallery_6744_133_227430.jpg

You are right, it used to be a quad.

From what I can gather the Chuetsu Earthquake in 2004 did a fair bit of damage over there. The South Area was closed since then until last season. For whatever reason, they decided to replace the quad with the pair.

• 10 months later...

I don't think so Muika.,,,well at least not last year when I went because the place was thick with snow. The upper connecting course was about waist high ungroomed compared to the coach lift gerende and the lower run that I could frustratingly see from the Branco area had 1 set if deep footprints up the side of velvety, untouched powder.

Well, I don't know. The reason I said that was because on that last photo you can see how the cover is not all uniform and it is a very steep bit of ungroomed course....

Anyway, whatever the reason we want it open! :grandpa:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting looking at these photos now that I have spent a day there. The visibilty was so bad I couldn't really get an idea of the runs at all. Only being able to see 50 metres in front of you does tend to make you a bit on the cautious side.

The two areas to the left top, and right bottom of the lift with the tracks on, does anyone know if these are mogol areas. I tried coming down them and couldn't ski them at all. Just about bent my skis in half a couple of times.

• 1 month later...

yeah the access point is about halfway down the picture from the right, it leads off the easy edelweiss gerende. Coach accesses the very top but since I've never been, I don't actually know where it comes down on the picture. the bottom part of that run remained closed as well when I was there, so at the top of the lift you could only come off to the right, not the left

Ahhh I see I always tried to get over there from the coach lift. so the area isn't closed just that trail, but why has that trail been closed like all season?

Dunno mate, it seems they often have that top section closed......which is I rarely go there as the south is the only decent area IMO. I think SJ-Andrew asked the resort about it but I dunno if he got a proper reply